Top Shelf Aquatics

Murph's Tank Reset...

Murphs_Reef

Murphs_Reef

So forgetting the sand at the moment, here is what I went with... I ditched some rock which was pretty much only in there cause I could with no other reason

Still need a decent camera

post-87585-0-83360600-1430516569_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Well done! Very natural looking with several nice crevises/arches, etc.

I'd eliminate that branch piece, as it interferes with the overall flow of the rock. I'm sure you'll eventually have a coral in place of it anyway.

Murphs_Reef

Well done! Very natural looking with several nice crevises/arches, etc.I'd eliminate that branch piece, as it interferes with the overall flow of the rock. I'm sure you'll eventually have a coral in place of it anyway.

Thank you, I always take great inspiration from your comments. I think your right yet again, another rock there because it can be and no other reason maybe?

Murphs_Reef

So I have taken the advice and just got TMC coral gravel, the fine stuff... It's very white will the colour reduce back to that of the LR? I would hate the contrast in dark LR and white gravel?

Ps sucking out sand bit at a time, and swapping for same portion of gravel during WC, so not to upset too much...

• 2 weeks later...
DurocShark

Ideally your rock will be covered with either corals or (sans urchins) coralline algae. The white sand will look much better, plus will reflect some light back onto the corals. (I know, negligible but every little bit helps!)

BTW: Here's my white sand and darker rocks:

http://dropc.am/p/DurocShark

As you can see, it becomes a moot point pretty quick.

• 1 month later...
Murphs_Reef

As an update to this, my new base rock has blended in pretty well over the last month or so.

I added some pulsing xenia which has now been split off to 3 groups... In 3 weeks!

A red mushroom, and 2 amazing clowns.

But still a rubbish camera and a fair bit if algae

post-87585-0-38598000-1434962502_thumb.jpg

post-87585-0-20960200-1434962602_thumb.jpg

It happens to the best of us. Git yer fish into a treatment tank (a 5-10 gallon food grade bucket or brewer's "fermenter" + heater & powerhead would work) & start the medication regime or hypo, leave your display fishless for the 5-6 week period. Lay in some prime/alpha and maybe huck in one of Seachem's ammonia-badge testers to have a little visible warning outside of any routine testing and be prep'd to do 25-50% water changes every few days and you should be OK.

You can still add corals, macro and invertebrates, which might be easier to do without the clownfish potentially nipping at you while gluing.

For what it's worth I'm really digging the progression of your scape. All kinds of stocking possibilities with what you settled on in the last update. IMO the sand change makes it look much better.

Murphs_Reef

It happens to the best of us. Git yer fish into a treatment tank (a 5-10 gallon food grade bucket or brewer's "fermenter" + heater & powerhead would work) & start the medication regime or hypo, leave your display fishless for the 5-6 week period. Lay in some prime/alpha and maybe huck in one of Seachem's ammonia-badge testers to have a little visible warning outside of any routine testing and be prep'd to do 25-50% water changes every few days and you should be OK.

You can still add corals, macro and invertebrates, which might be easier to do without the clownfish potentially nipping at you while gluing.

For what it's worth I'm really digging the progression of your scape. All kinds of stocking possibilities with what you settled on in the last update. IMO the sand change makes it look much better.

Thanks for that. Yes I have set up a small tank donated to me, doing hypo, the fish look well as in swimming and eating, and biting my hand ( ;) ) but the male has a few ripped fins and spots still

Am I the only one jealous that this guy lives in Scotland?!?!? ALWAYS wanted to go there, looks amazing and beautiful there.

And it's actually hot at the moment!

• 1 month later...

So I am really thinking about doing a full reset of this tank. I made a few significant errors on set up, and in true newb style didn't go the whole way in terms of the shopping list.

Current issues

STILL have some play sand in the tank under my TMC gravel, I want to swap this out for a mix of coral sand and fine gravel to a ratio of around 3:1 leaning on sand. Silicates I guess will be an issue until the play sand is gone completely, I have been syphoning out slowly but...

Although my water perameters are fine I really (from the start) want a sump to increase the body of water and to make general maintanence easier, make space for extra kit I may want later (a refugium, a skimmer perhaps etc) I can't drill the tank, it's full, I can't put an overflow in, it's to close to the wall... So it needs to be emptied.. I should have done this when the tank was dry but...

My live stock seems to be ok, I guess, the clowns are pretty happy, but the coral seems just to exist, not thrive, as I don't have an RO unit, and a very limited choice on (1 brand) salt, I buy pre mixed from the LFS. I firmly believe if I purchased a better brand of salt online or went further afield in terms of LFS and had my own RO unit I would have greater control.

Currently I am in the middle of loosing my trumpet coral, and over the last few days my duncans looks, well, deflated.

Last nights parameters

Nitrate between 5 and 0

Calcium 520 pretty constant but does dip toward water change time to around 500 or just below

Alk is 9 dkh

Phosphate pretty close to zero

Salinity is 1.025

And temp in normal range of 80 too..

I am kinda getting to the point where I feel I want to break the whole thing down and rebuild, employing my own RO supply, sump and getting rid of that awful play sand. I guess I could transfer my livestock, rock into a holding tank or bucket?

charnelhouse

Oh hold on, I see what's happening with the duncans... The male clown in sticking close to it, swimming through it a lot, do we have a hosting duncans perhaps!??

It's possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nitrate is going strong, 25% water change pulled it down to 10 ppm yesterday and now it's back near 20 today. I don't even need to test the water to tell any more Mr Duncans gives it to me straight, all pissed off and drawn in, was back to showing off yesterday after the water change but now annoyed again...

- Can't see any dead things anywhere

- feeding 1/2 cube mysis every 2 days

- sand bed has been "added" to last week, with around 1 inch of TMC sand, now totalling around 3 inch depth

- plenty CUC, snails, worms, hermits

- syphon sand bed every time I do water changes (1 x 1/4 tank volume a week) but going to step up this week and do another 1/4 to try and bring under 10ppm. But I need to find the source of the issue.

- no sump or refugium as of yet

I must be missing something... But what?

If you are, I can't tell...

Hmm.. Another day and it's continuing to climb. Having a right drama at the moment..

i know 20ppm isn't a deal breaker as such but it's really annoying as my duncans is now in a state of constant pissed-off-ness...

Archived