Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green spotted puffer

corriewf

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Doc Shake

yes dude, he got sad without you so killed himself.... what an ego crazy geek!!

So whats your point?

I think it said it all, you think the fish jumped because you werent there, "The only reason he died was because I went out of town." ... "I think after 7 days of not seeing me he freaked out." Ok man, thats why the fish whent carpet surfing...hahah!...HA!

Couldn't agree with you more. Notice the qualifiers I attached to the type of husbandry required when trying new things: compassionate and knowledgeable.

Now I'm sure all of us with a bit of knowledge can discern between a 6" Arrowana and a inch and a quarter GSP. Those of us with compassion will most likely avoid shoe-horning the latter into a 10 gallon aquarium. As for the former, the GSP is a delightful animal that remains nano sized for a large part of it's life. The issues that are raised in considering it as a inhabitant of a nano are weather it can be "reef-safe" and weather or not it provides too great a bio-load for a nano-reef. Corriewf seems to have given us answers to those questions: yes it is, and no it does not (respectively)

Give the guy a fair shake, he seems to know his stuff and the GSP would be a welcome addition to the short list of animals that can inhabit the mid-high size range of nano-reef tanks.

As for "animal experimentaion", give me a break, we're not talking about dolling up a puffer in make up (altough that would be *****'in), just placeing small GSPs in a type of system that is out of the norm.

Ciwila thank you for being so observant.I was just wanting to offer my experiences with my gsp in this thread so that someone will have a resource, cause I didnt have one when I got him.

Btw ,check your pm's Ciwila.

shake obviously you dont have much experience with puffers of any kind. i have seen it happen on numerous occasions when puffers will only eat for one person, or forms a bond with one single person and if they stop coming around they will go on a hunger strike or worse. it is well within the realm of possibility for corries puffer to have jumped solely because of his absence, likely in fact.

Originally posted by pyrrhus

shake obviously you dont have much experience with puffers of any kind. i have seen it happen on numerous occasions when puffers will only eat for one person, or forms a bond with one single person and if they stop coming around they will go on a hunger strike or worse. it is well within the realm of possibility for corries puffer to have jumped solely because of his absence, likely in fact.

Well said.I had no past experience with puffers and it surprised me how smart he was.He could see me coming 15 feet away and start swimming up and down the sides of the glass.Something else I noticed that was wierd .Whenever I reached underneath the tank to grab food he would go crazy and would make grinding noises with his beak.Now this doesnt sound that wierd except for the fact that I also stored my test kits below the tank and he wouldnt act like that when I reached for those.Now keep in mind he cant see what im reaching for.It was like he could just tell.Whenever I stuck my hands in the tank he would come up and nibble my fingers sometimes, not hard like I was food ,but just a nibble.

I wish I hadnt of gone on vacation ,but my grandpa died and I went to Nags Head and chartered a boat to scatter his ashes at sea.I will miss my gsp.

alright, you are pulling back so so will I . I dont know puffers at all, but I have a Humu Humu that I swear waits for me to come home. He is in a FOWLR and when I open the lid, he turns upside down then swims the tank, waiting to chace my finger

c1 cute, might i ask whos lackey i happen to be? listen up, you may have a fair amount of experience and knowledge with marine fish, but you are far from knowing everything. on top of that you have a very crass manner to your posts that i assure you will take you far in life. since you were so nice as to fill out your bio might i ask what kind of hobbyist experience you have? I have over 3000 hours of experience of dealing with marine fish and reef aquariums and can speak on behaviors that are often seen in aquariums. too bad you cant stand when someone happens to know more than you on a particular subject and resort to flames and half assed swipes at people.

you count the hours you deal in aquaria? I dont know what to say to that.

so you know, im a fisherman who has an advanced degree in biology and has worked in aquaculture.

its pretty easy to count the hours you deal with aquaria when you do it for a living. you still havent said how much experience you have that can be directly related to the hobby. lots of fisherman and people with biology degrees dont know squat about fish behavior in aquaria, i would say the vast majority in fact. oh and just because you happened to sell some clowns or dottybacks you raised or a coral you fragged doesnt count as "working in aquaculture"

Originally posted by Doc Shake

anything else you would like to assure me of, boy?

just that you are a DICK, and most of the people around here will be very happy when you leave.

I feel a little uncomfortable with this thread and where its headed. We all have various levels of experience, but no matter how many hours we've spent or degrees we've earned, it's really all about the fish (the GSP to be thread specific).

I think it's very interesting that corriewf was able to keep and maintain a GSP in a nano. If other people have experience with these quite personable fish I would love to hear about it.

I wish we could keep it civil, I remember how daunting it was when I was first learning about reef tanks. The various lighting options alone were enough make me consider keeping goldfish instead. We reefers are pretty thinly spread across the world, and the internet if one of the things that keeps the hobby afloat (or submerged rather) We should try to avoid a unilateralist approach to fish husbandry so that we can be more flexible in our methods. Remember, the more we know, the better it is for our fish.

And by the way, is there a set of rules that applys to logging aquarium hours? When I had my first goldfish tank, I set a siphon coming off a all nighter. I dozed off a little, and when I woke up the tank was almost empty and the fish were freaking out. I spent the next 2 hours getting everything in order and cleaning up the mess. Can I count the time I slept while the siphon was running? Can I count the time I spent fixing something that was my own mistake?

well said ciwila. my main issue with the doc is the derogatory manner in which he has come into our community, and started blasting people for no good reason. im sure that he has lots of knowledge that we could all learn from, but to be completely honest, im not interested in the slightest to hear it, at least not in the manner he currently expresses it. lets keep in mind that doc crawled out of the rockwork 2 weeks ago and has left a very bad taste in the mouths of those who have dealt with him on the boards.

i count my time on the clock when i am maintaining aquariums, not even the time i have spent on my own tanks, so the number is actually a bit higher than that. its kinda like a diver, time spent "wet."

Ciwilan YOU ARE WRONG! GSPs do not stay "nano sized" ever. They need close to 5 gallons per inch of fish. corriewf that dance that your GSP did up and down the glass is usually a sign of stress from lack of a visually stimulating enviroment. My single GSP in a 20 gallon long, never dances up and down, he does however come out to meet me at the front of the glass and then swim back around the multitude of plants or into his rock cave or through his driftwood. Your also putting out bad information, perhaps people just starting in the hobby will think well if he got one in I should try too, (because aquarist take risks....) Then the fish kill each other, but only after decimation of corals and other live stock One last thing corrie is just came back from a week vacation...my GSPs still in my tank not on the floor.

Does a Chilomycterus schoepfi count? I had one, for a short period, and it learned in less then a week who fed it and had a great personality. It would literally dance and beg like a puppy does everytime it seen me. I find it easy to believe that it acted the way that Corrie stated, as they are a very personable fish.

Archived