Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green spotted puffer

corriewf

FW vs SW I don't think it matters. Someday that clown and damsel are going to end up being dinner for your GSP.

I personally wouldn't care that much since puffers are so darn cool.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they have been in the tank together for over a year with no problems ,but then again I keep him fed.Lets see what happens in mid august when I go down to nags head for a week.Mmmmmmm clown fish w/ dmasel gravy.

Haha, lol that's hilarious, I know a guy who keeps green spotted puffers in his cichlid tank http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/images/4247a.jpg , http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/images/4247b.jpg , http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/images/4247c.jpg. I had a sand bed for them to play in and a large rock with holes in it for them to go in. I mainly had lots of swimming room for them. I wonder what would have happened if I threw them in my vicious cichlid tank (probably meals for my cichlids :o)?

mine is very passive, but I have heard the same thing about their aggressive tendencies. I chose one that seemed docile from the fs on purpose. Mine live in close proximity with a bumblebee goby a few neons and aa sae no probs at all.

I would love to get him in my nano tho lol.

you will only really need to worry about the aggresiveness when they close in on their full length (6"), young ones are semi-passive, although they definitely don't like their own kind.

scarletknight06

i echo that. mine were very passive and shy as juveniles but now they are savage beasts. they are 6" now and bite me when i do water changes or stick my finger in the tank. they have bitten in half percula clowns and damsels. and if you have a shrimp in there its a goner too.

No, they can handle freshwater ,but when they are adults they do need some brackish.They can change colors and it doesnt really indicate anything.

The FW/BW/SW thing is an old debate, but let's just say that everyone who has kept these guys alive for 15+ years have put them in BW when young (2") and slowly increased to full SW as adults (5-6"). They will have a darker color when sleeping, but aside from that, color is a major indicator of health.

The can "handle" FW, but they don't seem to like it based on lifespan and natural habitat. They have lots of special needs for proper care.

Mine gets a nice bright white belly when happy and his head glows an iridescent green - really cool colors. He spreads out all his fins and seems to dance in front of the tank come feeding. I would say he is about 3 1/2 inches.

Sometimes within seconds the belly can become mottled in color when stressed or perhaps a mood change? He is not discolored at all, that photo does no justice. The tank is pure brackish and the neons (2) seem to handle it as they have lived with him as the tank was acclimated to brackish. The bumblebee is a truly brackish fish as well and the sae could probably live in anything as it is indestructible. I did loose a few neons in the acclimation, but the remaining 2 are quite healthy. I should transplant them, but I fear the change back to pure f/w would kill them.

I dig these fish. They really have character and have even heard them referred to as "puppy dogs".

Mine loves snails to eat. I highly recommend getting them at the LFS. I always get the ones they are just going to throw out anyway for free. They are also good for their beaks. He would eat himself to death with them if I gave him the chance and I have read that is a possibility.

He nips no one at all - very passive, but from what I have read, I am very fortunate. I do know they despise their own kind. He is also very cautious with new people and anything he is unfamiliar with, hence his reluctance to be photoed when he sees the camera.

He will lay on the bottom of the tank when chilling or sleeping and loves an artificial hollow log I have in there to hang in.

Great fish.

Originally posted by xcajx

Mine gets a nice bright white belly when happy and his head glows an iridescent green - really cool colors. He spreads out all his fins and seems to dance in front of the tank come feeding. I would say he is about 3 1/2 inches.

Sometimes within seconds the belly can become mottled in color when stressed or perhaps a mood change? He is not discolored at all, that photo does no justice. The tank is pure brackish and the neons (2) seem to handle it as they have lived with him as the tank was acclimated to brackish. The bumblebee is a truly brackish fish as well and the sae could probably live in anything as it is indestructible. I did loose a few neons in the acclimation, but the remaining 2 are quite healthy. I should transplant them, but I fear the change back to pure f/w would kill them.

I dig these fish. They really have character and have even heard them referred to as "puppy dogs".  

Mine loves snails to eat. I highly recommend getting them at the LFS. I always get the ones they are just going to throw out anyway for free. They are also good for their beaks. He would eat himself to death with them if I gave him the chance and I have read that is a possibility.

He nips no one at all - very passive, but from what I have read, I am very fortunate. I do know they despise their own kind. He is also very cautious with new people and anything he is unfamiliar with, hence his reluctance to be photoed when he sees the camera.

He will lay on the bottom of the tank when chilling or sleeping and loves an artificial hollow log I have in there to hang in.

Great fish.

Mine acts exactly the same.He has niped at the other fish before and also myself when im had my hands in there, but it seems as though he isnt really trying to take a bite.He could easy take chunks out of the other fish and my fingers ,but he doesnt.Kind of hard to explain, gues its like when your playing with a dog and he bites on you but doesnt really apply much pressure as its more of a playful gesture.Mine seems to have the same color habit as yours.Dark when asleep and white belly when awake.Like you said that pic doesnt do it justice.I tell you this is by far the best fish I have ever had.I would gladly get rid of all of the other fish in the tank if I had to, to keep this guy.He is just so smart and has some great vision.He seems to see me coming from ten feet away and likes to watch me watch him lol.Xcajx thanks for sharing some info on yours.:)

• 3 weeks later...

i really cannot believe you are keeping him in your tank. It's probably the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.....I converted mine to saltwater and started throwing live rock in his tank....as soon as I put a coral in....RIPPED TO SHREDS. He destroyed it (they were just some crappy polyps).

There is no debate about GSP's they NEED to be kept in brackish or saltwater....you can bull#### all you want but their longetivity will be a direct result of this. In saltwater....GSP's become much more aggressive and territorial in general....health wise they do better and live longer. In brackish water they will do fine as well...Keeping them in fresh is just stupid. Do GSP's in the wild venture into freshwater? Sure they do! but they don't stay there for long periods of time! Their respiratory system is accustomed to processing salt and other trace elements necessary for a long life that just aren't present in a freshwater aquarium. Freshwater is just not suitable for them for a long period of time...

Also....puffers in general have very strange behavioral patterns....They can be loving friendly cutesy little buggers for a year and then one day wake up on the wrong side of the tank and just **** everything up....I've seen it happen numerous times!

GSP's are gonna need some leg room to HELP insure...not completely insure....that this won't happen.....a 30G tank is necessary as they WILL grow 6 inches at somepoint and make room for themselves by killing things.

thats my spiel for the night.

Good input....

However , I just got back from vacation and...........

R.I.P GSP

I walk in and see what looks to be cat poop on the floor and it tunrs out to be my gsp.I had kept him for TWO YEARS !I cant begin to tell you how hurt I am.I loved that little guy!Anyhow guess he just freaked out cause he was used to seeing me everyday.Another theory is that he was trying to go with me on vacation and forgot to pack his suitcase.Yet another theory is that he was trying to save my little nemo bastage.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY GOD WHYYYYYYYY ?!?!?!?!?!?

R.I.P GSP.

Ok on to my next project.GASP!!!!!A yellow tang........J/K

Interesting. I just scolded you for having one on a previous thread. I have one more thing to add

7. GSP's are jumpers.

Please reasearch prior to purchasing any sort of livestock.

Hey reeft@rd .You should read all of the posts in a thread before posting.Oh and as far as researching .I have kept the little guy successfully for 2 years and 1 in half in nano-reef.He would still be alive if I hadnt gone on vacation.Looks like you have done a great job of researching livestock before buying in the past heres some examples:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=23700

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=22034

a form of research is asking questions in a forum such as this wonderful site. You are completely and utterly rude to everyone who offers advice.

I have one thing I need to add...you kept your GSP for 2 WHOLE years. While I just started my GSP Tank (a single fish in a 20gallon Long), had you done your research you would have no doubt discovered that GSP are long lived 15-20 yrs. So two years is 1/10th of its possible lifespan. Nice Job ending it early.

Hey, we've all lost fish. I don't think you should be so critical of corriewf, he kept a GSP in a nano-reef for 18+ months and from what he says the water parameters were pretty consistent. I'm impressed, I think trying new things should be encouraged as long as it's approached with compassionate and knowledgeable husbandry. Also, part of the reason he has been curt with you may be that you are alleging he is culpable, or at least complacent in the death of his beloved fish. In these forums sir, those are fighting words.

yes new things should be encourage, but not a the risk of livestock. Animal experimentation is wrong unless its outcome will benefit the greater good. Finding out that we CAN keep a puffer in a tank that is sub par for its living condition dosent mean that we SHOULD does it?? I mean a 6inch arrowana might fit in a 10 gallon, but would you keep it in one??

Originally posted by Ciwila

Hey, we've all lost fish. I don't think you should be so critical of corriewf, he kept a GSP in a nano-reef for 18+ months and from what he says the water parameters were pretty consistent. I'm impressed, I think trying new things should be encouraged as long as it's approached with compassionate and knowledgeable husbandry. Also, part of the reason he has been curt with you may be that you are alleging he is culpable, or at least complacent in the death of his beloved fish. In these forums sir, those are fighting words.

Couldnt put it better myself.

The only reason he died was becuase I went out of town.That puffer was the smartest fish I have ever had.In two years he had never jumped ,however he was used to seeing me everyday.I think after 7 days of not seeing me he freaked out.These things happen.If a clown jumps out of a tank and dies noone says that reefers shouldnt keep one in a nano anymore.

Oh and I did my research however there wasnt any information about keeping a gsp in a nano 2 years ago.I could find general information but nothing specific to that point.So I gathered that no one had tried it. Hell, back then not many people were trying nanos.Two years ago you were probably in a freshwater forum.So dont give me that research crap.Find something better to do with your time , like playing in traffic.

Archived