Innovative Marine Aquariums

My experience with Rare Anemones

anizato

Im curious whats your water parameters? salinity, ph, mag, alk, cal? temp? what kind if filtration do you have setup and what else in the tank.

I would look into Cipro treatment for your new anemones, you can google it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys, so i finally got the results in for my water quality, (finally got a red sea kit)

Mag 1560

Ca 490

kH 6.4

I am going to perform a water change in a few days and re-test. hopefully that will level things out.

I have been having quite a crazy reef-week. Sump broke, dealt with that, so I lost some fish because of the stress, only the leopard wrasse survived. But since that took two weeks to fix, now I have a crazy algae outbreak that I have to tend to.

All nems survived and are actually doing well. Especially my RBTA, she is coloring up beautifully and thriving.

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody,

It has been a few months since I posted on here and wanted to add the update after the incident back in the end of May 2015.

The Leopard Wrasse is still strong and thriving, super hungry all the time! Awesome attitude & His/Her elegant swaying and buoyant and incredible swimming abilities are a dream to watch.

I then added an Onyx Clownfish. He is tank-raised as well. Developing very well into the main personality of the tank. Her natural coloration is stunning up close. Out of the 4 Anemones that are in the tank, she has decided to host the Pink BTA right underneath the MP10 where flow is crazy LOL. There is a Rose BTA on the same rock, but I guess it is too uncomfortable to live directly in front of a power-head.

A few weeks later, I added a Helfrichi Firefish (yes, again haha). This was to allow the clownfish to occupy his time on other things instead of possibly nipping at a new tank-mate.

A month later, I added this incredibly looking Tank-bred (obviously - this guy doesn't happen in nature) Snowflake/Flurry Clownfish. He is not intimidated by her size, since day 1 he was more curious to see what she was up to than to harass or attack for territorial reasons. She, on the other hand, didn't let go, nor has to this day, allowed him to approach the Pink BTA. He is always around her and they get along better everyday. Someday I would like to see the both of them on the same nem. Although my PBTA has not grown that much since I added her.

I gave the tank 3 months to stabilize and it has begun to grow after the RE-scape.

The Red Rock Flower Anemone has like the new spot. Which is on the far left of the display. Same rock, just different location.

I have also incorporated an MP40 on the left side of the display to get some real water movement.

To help with my sand, I added about 30 Nassarius. Some Tonga, some Onyx but an EFF-TON! Also a Sand-Sifting StarFish was added, along with a Sand Sea-Cucumber & a Mithrax Crab who likes to pop out of the rock to collect algae, like a spy taking information from a mission.

At last, the Lawnmower Blenny was added a week ago. He has been acclimating very nicely and likes to camouflage himself in the rock. Has been very protective, but he will come around (:

I have a system of Copepods from Reef Nutrition and a separate system for raising Adult Brine Shrimp from Florida-Aqua Farms.

Pods are added every couple of days until they are depleted and the system needs to re-colonize in 2-3 weeks.

wow.such.chris

Glad to hear the nems survived! I'm not too surprised as your parameters seemed spot on and I know nems can be super moody at times. Also, glad to hear your choosing tank-bred clowns. They're so easy to breed now that there really is no reason to buy wild IMO. All morphs will exist in wild populations btw, it's just rare to encounter them. Plus there may be a selective disadvantage to not looking like most clowns which would make them even more rare. Do you have a guard on any of your powerheads? Seems scary, especially with them living so close to it. I don't use a guard, but I live in fear lol. Have you noticed any black spots (hypermelanization) on the clowns that have started living in nems? My clowns are covered and I'm not a fan of the way it looks but who am I to judge.

Glad to hear the nems survived! I'm not too surprised as your parameters seemed spot on and I know nems can be super moody at times. Also, glad to hear your choosing tank-bred clowns. They're so easy to breed now that there really is no reason to buy wild IMO. All morphs will exist in wild populations btw, it's just rare to encounter them. Plus there may be a selective disadvantage to not looking like most clowns which would make them even more rare. Do you have a guard on any of your powerheads? Seems scary, especially with them living so close to it. I don't use a guard, but I live in fear lol. Have you noticed any black spots (hypermelanization) on the clowns that have started living in nems? My clowns are covered and I'm not a fan of the way it looks but who am I to judge.

Thanks, I will post pictures soon, I just have to get good shots, and that is not easy with an iPhone. LOL

I haven't noticed any black spots on my clowns, then again my Onyx, her black is BLACK, like darker-than-the-universe black, but she seems super happy. Flurry still has no idea what to do with the Nem, LOL ...only... Onyx allows him to approach but he just wiggles without touching it , so funny. I did however, find this article that might help you understand why it is happening to your clownfish, according to this, it is NOT your em causing the black spots on your clown. Hope this helps.

I know I have been wanting to get those foam guards but they are hardly ever available. I worry, but not so much about the nems, more so about the snails, which have me on check and have to clean the powerheads once a week, because if they get in there, they will destroy the pump (it has already happened to me once). Soon enough I will place an order for them foams for both of my powerheads, with luck it won't be too late when I do hahaha

wow.such.chris

Thanks, I will post pictures soon, I just have to get good shots, and that is not easy with an iPhone. LOL

I haven't noticed any black spots on my clowns, then again my Onyx, her black is BLACK, like darker-than-the-universe black, but she seems super happy. Flurry still has no idea what to do with the Nem, LOL ...only... Onyx allows him to approach but he just wiggles without touching it , so funny. I did however, find this article that might help you understand why it is happening to your clownfish, according to this, it is NOT your em causing the black spots on your clown. Hope this helps.

I know I have been wanting to get those foam guards but they are hardly ever available. I worry, but not so much about the nems, more so about the snails, which have me on check and have to clean the powerheads once a week, because if they get in there, they will destroy the pump (it has already happened to me once). Soon enough I will place an order for them foams for both of my powerheads, with luck it won't be too late when I do hahaha

what article? sounds interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

what article? sounds interesting.

I searched for an hour or so, I couldn't find it again. I do remember however, that it is called Hyper-melanization which is when Clownfish decide to host an aggressive coral instead of Anemones, which is what clownfish are naturally immune to.

An interesting thing happened everybody.

I will have you know that along all of these 3x $100 Rare Anemones - from Coral Collection which were purchased in February 2015. I have had a $90 Speckled Rose Bubble Tip from Rainbow Reef Corals since January 2015. One $45 Pink Bubble Tip from Saltcritters since February 2015. One $45 Rainbow Bubble Tip since May 2015 that split on the second day in the tank and have had both thriving.

When these 3 nems from Coral Collection had been dead for a while, Coral Collection reached out to me after a few months and expressed their grief from my poor experience with them and offered a discount on my next Anemone if I wanted to take another chance with them. I am thinking about it, I will always want a Purple Tip Anemone, but if they are serious about a discount I would like to know what they would offer me if I want an Inferno Bubble Tip or a Lemon Drop Bubble Tip. They are pretty expensive so it'd have to be a good discount. We will see.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been exactly a year later and Coral Collection made me an offer I couldn't refuse, to make up for the loss I went through last year with the three anemones passing.

I got the Flame Tip anemone in three days ago and I have to say, it looks Absolutely Fantastic! It is a show piece for sure. It just POPS!
It is beautiful around 3". I wish my camera did it justice but it leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the real thing.

post-83895-0-16309300-1459542398_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

How are the nem's doing?

Hey Networkcrasher,

Funny you should ask.

So the Flame Tip lost some of its color, I guess my Kessil's whites where on too high, so I fixed that lighting schedule and it has been better. It helped when I started feeding regularly. A mixture of PolypLab, ReefChili, R.O.E., RotiFeast, Arcti-Pods, UltraMarin LPS pellets, in Selcon. At first it was once every month, then I started doing twice a month, then once a week and I decided to keep it there once I began to see the immediate improvement on the coloration. It is a slow process, but I DO see improvement on her coloration. So FEED YOUR NEMS!

Archived