Pod Your Reef

My experience with Rare Anemones

anizato

jamescstein

Not to make you feel bad. I've had nems that looked perfect then one day they shrivel up and a few days later start melting. All while others in the same tank, even right next to that one look great and continue to be so.

Hopefully this is not the case with yours.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to make you feel bad. I've had nems...

Hopefully this is not the case with yours.

Did you ever figure out why that happened?

jamescstein

No. I suspect they expelled their guts before I got ahold of them and were just declining the whole time I had them. I've seen how some of these critters are handled when collected and frankly I am shocked any of them survive. Ever tried to get a nem off a rock? The collectors don't break the rock off and coax them off gently.

When I buy any nem, I assume it's not going to live long and hope for the best. I do RFA's now and I've bought 11 over the course of the last 5 months. I have 4 alive at the moment. 1 has been alive for 4 months, I'm thinking that one will make it. The other 3 have been in my possession for less than a month. I'm still waiting and watching on them.

My wife bought an Ultra-Green Long Tent from Divers Den 6 months ago. It thrived for a month then one day shriveled up, flipped upside down and melted in 4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

What's really confusing about nems is that they can take days and even weeks to show signs of stress. once they die you can almost bet they started to downhill long before. also, most of these gbta variants are coming from Bali and they are not as hardy as e. quads from Australia. as long as your tank is mature enough to house anemones, there's really nothing you can do.

This is a post of the surviving Acid Rain BTA. She is about 3.5" sometimes 4".

Under 10k lighting

post-83895-0-02687000-1429729250_thumb.jpg

Under 14k lighting

post-83895-0-35018000-1429729318_thumb.jpg

Under 20k lighting

post-83895-0-52869900-1429729341_thumb.jpg

PS. if anyone is wondering what that white blurry string is in the front ...it is a mustache .. yes, a mustache that belongs to my skunk cleaner shrimp.

How were they as far as WYSIWYG? Did the anemones look like the pictures or are the pictures shopped?

It is decent. They DO have "set" pictures on their website. So you aren't really WISIWYGing anything. The first Purple Tip that died was amazing, it was even more beautiful than the Acid Rain.

By FAR the most beautiful thing that I have ever owned.

The Acid Rain does look like it does in the picture, so they must all look like that. However the second Purple Tip I received had a completely different "feel" to it. It was golden body, with lime green mouth and golden tentacles with green stripes and purple tips. It was also amazing, but completely unexpected.

I actually had to get in touch with the owner when I received the second one to make sure they didn't make a mistake and send me a brown anemone. But he explained that the Purple Tips are mostly all different, they only coincide with having purple tips... redundantly!

Interesting!! So essentially though the colors in the pictures are pretty spot on? If so I will have to line up an order. :)

Edit: also, any idea if there's anywhere else I can get these more rarer ones?

Interesting!! So essentially though the colors in the pictures are pretty spot on? If so I will have to line up an order. :)

Yeah their anemones are pretty awesome. Others I know of have them rarely, but they have access to them upon request.

The rarest that I know of nowadays is the Super Nova, then maybe the Colorado Sunburst, others prefer the Lemon Drop. They are all amazing, but is it worth $600 $2000 to you? Maybe they are to someone who can guarantee a pristine living environment to keep them alive as long as possible. OR maybe 6 $100 beautiful nems are better for you... it is all a matter of opinion, and the price is a matter of supply and demand. So if you are patient you will find your NEM.

My favorite is the Darth Maul,

because it looks like an RBTA swallowed a black hole... it just looks awesome to me, Coral Collection has it on their website but they rarely have it in stock.

I recommend you email them, they are pretty chill. But you should talk to them Otherwise they will send you something THEY like, who's to say they have your same taste?

YO THEY JUST GOT THIS NEM IN: What do you think?

http://coralcollection.bigcartel.com/product/cc-super-nova

Lemon drop is the most uncommon bta (of the commonly kept morphs. wait does that make sense?). the Darth maul hasn't even been seen in years. I believe the strain died out. Colorado sunburst are expensive but not rare at all. a lot of people sell them in the $500 range.

They have some that are crazy nice. I would really like a sunburst, flame, and a lemondrop but will start out with the sub $100 ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an inferno a few months ago and it seemed to do well but recently is going downhill. Sad really. I don't know if I'll try again due to the money and stress involved. I'll stick to my RFAs which are pretty hardy and breeding.

clownfitch

I have recently been having great success with LA Reefs on ebay. His pics are spot on, shipping is great, and the nems have all been in perfect health.

I have recently been having great success with LA Reefs on ebay. His pics are spot on, shipping is great, and the nems have all been in perfect health.

that is definitely good to know clownfitch... the Acid Rain BTA perished this morning, I was going to feed the tank like I do every morning and to my surprise she wasn't in her spot anymore, it took me a minute to realize she was shriveled up next to the mp10. Who knows what happened to this one.

I will be giving LA Reefs a try next time I get a nem.

I made a purchase on Friday from Saltcritters.com and I included a BTA. No WYSIWYG so I just hope she is pretty.

I still have the first RBTA I got from rainbowreefcorals.com. Their selection is pretty cool. Somewhat pricey sometimes but the pieces they have are pretty awesome. The RBTA I got from them 6 months ago. She is still happy and incredibly healthy, she hasn't lost ANY of her color, despite being like 6" under the Kessil post-83895-0-12505300-1431374940_thumb.jpg

clownfitch

Sorry to hear your Acid Rain BTA didnt make it. Man it stinks to spend that kind of money and them not thrive.

I have 3 more coming in from Louis at LA Reefs tomorrow which will make a total of 7 that I have purchased from him. As I stated before, the first 4 are very healthy and full of color. They acclimated very easily to my tank after about a week or so and are all now up in full light with full extension. He has a couple of nice ones back up for grabs now. I wish I had seen the KoolAid BTA while my budget still allowed the purchase. lol

Sorry to hear your Acid Rain BTA didnt make it. Man it stinks to spend that kind of money and them not thrive.

I have 3 more coming in from Louis at LA Reefs tomorrow which will make a total of 7 that I have purchased from him. As I stated before, the first 4 are very healthy and full of color. They acclimated very easily to my tank after about a week or so and are all now up in full light with full extension. He has a couple of nice ones back up for grabs now. I wish I had seen the KoolAid BTA while my budget still allowed the purchase. lol

LOL it is funny how you get stuff and a moment later you realize a better offer was around the corner, if you had only waited another day or two!

KoolAid BTA? never heard of that!

I bought a 65$ bta from Saltcritters today, along with a bunch of other stuff amongst which is a Rock Flower Anemone (nothing exotic just my first one though)

I will definitely be hitting up LAReefs when the next round of tank funds come along. :bling::scarry:

I've bought two really nice anemones from Lawnman on here I awesome green speckled and a really nice and large rainbow both priced very well too. Both are doing really well both my clowns reside in the rainbow. I guess my point was keep your eyes peeled on here too for awesome deals.

Think I will hold off an order from CC in that case. No point in dropping big $ when their stuff doesn't live.

Have to buy some other things first regardless.

Think I will hold off an order from CC in that case. No point in dropping big $ when their stuff doesn't live.

Have to buy some other things first regardless.

Indeed, I think it is the wisest of choices.

I did get a nice little nem from Mr. Salty over at Saltcritters and she looks very nice and healthy. Unfortunately the spot she has chosen is very difficult to get a good photo of, but I will keep trying until I can show you guys how she looks. She is a pretty flower, purple and blue with pink tips and super tiny at about 2".

This is what I bought:

post-83895-0-29355400-1431544676_thumb.png

post-83895-0-56310900-1431544690_thumb.png

Indeed, I think it is the wisest of choices.

I did get a nice little nem from Mr. Salty over at Saltcritters and she looks very nice and healthy. Unfortunately the spot she has chosen is very difficult to get a good photo of, but I will keep trying until I can show you guys how she looks. She is a pretty flower, purple and blue with pink tips and super tiny at about 2".

This is what I bought:

That looks awesome. I will probably buy my first few in person and possibly Lareefs.

gulfsurfer101

Had the same one for over three years including several tank swaps and moves.

IMG_20140615_204415_zpselrmqef1.jpg

Best fifteen dollars I've ever spent on anything in my tank.

Why is the Rock Anenome on the sand?

Do they not belong on rocks? Ive only seen them there- sand will get caught up in the foot and irritate them

no idea buddy, she selected that spot. she was placed in the tank, 20 mins later she was there... smack in the middle of the tank ON a small rock with some zoas... i guess those will be history LOL

jamescstein

Most of my RFA's like being on the sand. Their foot is attached to a rock but most of their disc spreads out over the sand.

Archived