Cultivated Reef

LED configuration for 36x8x9 (ATI fixture is here!)

Weasel Baron

Weasel Baron

just came in today! Ill have to fiddle around w/ the bulb combo when the LEDs are installed, but Ill just be using it as is for the time being (I'll set up some conduit tubing and hang it from that)

so the next question involves rewiring: do I need to do it? each power cable controls one of the outside and one of the inside bulbs, so I'd be removing one bulb from each ballast. Would it just be as simple as moving the end caps into the appropriate slots? Forgive the naivety, I just got it and havent had a chance to open up the guts yet

D2AizRc.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just came in today! Ill have to fiddle around w/ the bulb combo when the LEDs are installed, but Ill just be using it as is for the time being (I'll set up some conduit tubing and hang it from that)

so the next question involves rewiring: do I need to do it? each power cable controls one of the outside and one of the inside bulbs, so I'd be removing one bulb from each ballast. Would it just be as simple as moving the end caps into the appropriate slots? Forgive the naivety, I just got it and havent had a chance to open up the guts yet

D2AizRc.jpg

That tank is tiny. Why do you want to do LED retro again? You got enough T5 power to need to do that.

Weasel Baron

That tank is tiny. Why do you want to do LED retro again? You got enough T5 power to need to do that.

meh, the same reason I didnt just buy a premade LED strip; I wanted a project and liked the idea of a t5/LED hybrid. I can dim the LEDs down, so tank size isnt too much of an issue :happy:

Caravanshaka

D2AizRc.jpg

Looks good!

There will be some rewiring since you will be running the 2 outside bulbs. Due to wire lengths, you may need to borrow wire from the ballast you won't be using....it won't be as easy as pulling the end cap out and moving it because of that. The wiring is fairly simple overall, and the diagram is even printed on the ballast for easy identification. If you have any wiring experience before, it should be pretty easy. Also, use a large safety pin to unlatch the wires in the endcaps if you need to.

good luck!

Weasel Baron

great! I have enough basic wiring experience to know what to do, but Ill post up the progress and steps as I do it for future DIY reference

Just bought the storm and PSU today, will look into ordering the 3.5" heatsink and the rest of the gear soon. In all likelihood I wont get all the supplies and start the build till the end of the month, but who knows, Im not patient :P

got the fixture hanging from some conduit tubing today. May modify it a bit and I still need to clean up and organize the wiring, but for the most part it looks good

pTU8bNI.jpg

80CCFoW.jpg

tF7VaUV.jpg

Archived