Coral Vue Hydros

LED configuration for 36x8x9 (ATI fixture is here!)

Weasel Baron

Yup. Unless you are a nutbar like me and absolutely insist on doing your own thing, these arrays are about as good as it gets. Last time I priced it out, it was about $6 per cluster more for the NanoBox array vs individual LEDs from somewhere like Steve's.

Ill take the hit for ease of installation and color mixing, that was half the reason I was looking at 3ups and OCW anyway :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has anyone gutted one of the low profile Aruba Sun T5 retrofit kits?

Im assuming the middle bar is where the ballast is kept, but I wonder how much space it actually needs. Think I could remove the dinky LEDs and put a heatsink in its place? I might be able to cut off the top and a section of the bottom to allow the heatsink to slide into place. Id likely have to extend the wiring for the ballast so I can put it somewhere else, or alternatively rest it on top of the heatsink

Hamilton-Aruba-Sun-T5-Retrofit-with-LEDs

alternatively, the newer versions of the odyssea come w/ three fans and a 8.5" wide profile that would fit the tank perfectly

xXVF2An.jpg

Believe me, do not skimp on your lighting, save up and get a better one. If you start with an oddysea you won't be happy, you'll burn through bulbs and you won't be happy. You'll wnd up replacing it later on anyways, so why spend the extra money and start with a cheap fixture? If you have a low budget look at CurrentUSA Marine Orbit+.

None of those fixtures have halfway decent ballasts or fans.

the t5 wouldnt be for the main lighting, just for the guts for the LED retrofit. The plan is still to use 3 nano-box V3 arrays

the t5 wouldnt be for the main lighting, just for the guts for the LED retrofit. The plan is still to use 3 nano-box V3 arrays

Oh okay good. Maybe get in touch and see if CNC reef can cook up something nice for you, they have some awesome heatsinks.

Weasel Baron

love their stuff, bit too pricey for my build, and most of their sinks are only 24" long

there are a few wave-point 36" quad bulb fixtures on amazon that might work, but Im also considering just getting the odyssea and gutting the shitty ballast and replacing it with a workhorse ballast (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-fulham-workhorse-ballast-1.html). I can get two retrofit reflectors for the remaining two bulbs and use the middle section for the heatsink/LEDs, but at that point I may be near the cost of a wave-point fixture which already comes with good reflectors and a good ballast... Im just a little more hesitant about taking apart a more expensive t5 fixture

Weasel Baron

so workhorse are also garbage? any suggestions, or should I just shoot for a wave-point?

Shoot for a ATI ballast. They are $25,which isn't bad. Or just get the 2 bulb retro kit from CoralVue for $20. If I recall it comes with everything but a hanging kit and replace the ballast if it's not a HEP ballast already.

ReefersDirect is who has the ATI ballasts,and everything ATI replacement parts.

• 5 weeks later...
Weasel Baron

ok, reviving this thread as the tank is up and cycling and tax return season has been favorable this year. Given that I have a little extra $$ to work with, Im looking into fitting 2-3 of the V3 nanobox arrays into a decent t5 fixture instead of a garbage one (i.e. Odyssea). The 4 bulb ATI fixture was the first to come to mind; a 9" width would reduce overhang and I could swap the two middle bulbs for a heatsink. I would likely have to cut away some of the back to fit it flush and allow for fans, so Im wondering how much the stock wiring/ballasts will get in the way. is it doable? how much maneuverability is there in the area the ballasts are kept?

alternatively, I could get the 4bulb aquatic life fixture, but it has a 10" width so Im worried there will be too much overhang on a 8" wide tank

I might just pull the trigger on the ATI fixture and worse comes to worst Im stuck w/ a 4bulb ATI instead of a ATI 2bulb/LED hybrid

Forgive the terrifying light setup, it was literally just for picture purposes

uIZU67L.jpg

lBs7Xcp.jpg

See if anyone is selling their coralvue t5/led fixtures when they were at the $100 fire sale. Already has the space in the middle for nanobox pucks.

Weasel Baron

OK, about to grab the ATI fixture from bulk reef, along with the following bulb combo

Korallen-Zucht Super Blue

Korallen-Zucht Coral Light II (new gen)

Korallen-Zucht Fiji purple

Giesemann Actinic Plus

I can see how comfortable I feel w/ a retrofit once it arrives, and fiddle w/ the bulb combo if I do end up throwing in a couple Nanobox pucks

Anyone have a BRS discount coupon theyre willing to share? :D:lol:

jedimasterben

Why do you want to use KZ lamps? They have less output than ATI and Giesemann lamps and don't look any better, and definitely not enough to justify the extra $10 each.

Weasel Baron

Good to know! I'll swap out the KZ bulbs

going w/ ATI blue+, purple+, true actinic, and keeping the giesemann actinic+

nope, thinking

2 ATI B+

1 ATI P+

1 Giese actinic+

Weasel Baron

ordered! will update w/ a pic when its in, with any luck Ill feel confident enough with the setup to do a LED retro

Caravanshaka

The ATI's already have active cooling, so if you have decent heatsink and not running full tilt, you shouldn't have to add any fans. the 2.079" profile heatsink from heatsink usa comes to mind, have that run down the middle and you should be able to mount it in place of the 2 middle bulbs with no cutting. if you are only putting 3 arrays on, I think you can get away with the fan that is already in the fixture, but you may increase the voltage going to the fans (9v is normal, but can put them up to 12v with the included power supply). You are removing the heat of 2 t5 bulbs, and adding the heat of LED's, not a big enough difference to start adding a bunch of fans. You can also try and channel the air that would normally go on those 2 middle t5 bulb cool spots right into the fins on the heatsinks to make it more efficient.

Here is my retrofit into an 8x80w sunpower (I used a taller heatsink and had to cut holes):

F0C2A657-E6AB-43DE-87F9-730041BD92D1_zps

A07E9D1B-9D33-44DD-B62A-DECA5A0638F4_zps

jedimasterben

The ATI's already have active cooling, so if you have decent heatsink and not running full tilt, you shouldn't have to add any fans. the 2.079" profile heatsink from heatsink usa comes to mind, have that run down the middle and you should be able to mount it in place of the 2 middle bulbs with no cutting. if you are only putting 3 arrays on, I think you can get away with the fan that is already in the fixture, but you may increase the voltage going to the fans (9v is normal, but can put them up to 12v with the included power supply). You are removing the heat of 2 t5 bulbs, and adding the heat of LED's, not a big enough difference to start adding a bunch of fans. You can also try and channel the air that would normally go on those 2 middle t5 bulb cool spots right into the fins on the heatsinks to make it more efficient.

Here is my retrofit into an 8x80w sunpower (I used a taller heatsink and had to cut holes):

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/Caravanshaka/F0C2A657-E6AB-43DE-87F9-730041BD92D1_zpse8bketma.jpg

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/Caravanshaka/A07E9D1B-9D33-44DD-B62A-DECA5A0638F4_zpsfrjp05up.jpg

Sexy retro. Since you are replacing 160w of T5HO with a maximum of 168w of LEDs you don't really need to modify the cooling much. IMHO I would still replace the ATI stock fans because they are loud as shit, but that's just me :)

For my build, though, I swapped 78w of T5 for ~180w of LEDs, so I not only used heatsinks that ran the entire length of the fixture but also put three 60mm fans on each. Overkill - absolutely lol, but it helps keep the heatsinks cooler and helps to push air along out of the fixture.

Caravanshaka

I do have slightly more power coming from the LED's, each array has a Luxeon M royal blue accompanying it. But I certainly won't run the channels at 100% anytime soon, and never all of them that high. I'm at 50% right now on the blue channel only, and less than 30% on the white channel while I ramp up.

If I were to do it again, I would get the low profile 2.079" heatsink and run it the length of the fixture. Cutting out the holes in the steel was a pain in the rear, but I had those heatsinks on hand and they were able to take 100% power without active cooling and keep the PCB board below 100 degrees, so I used them. You should have no trouble fitting the low profile heatsink in place of 2 bulbs on the fixture.

agree on the fans, they are definitely loud at 12v, and still pretty loud at 9v...luckily my tank is in-wall so it isn't a problem for me!

Weasel Baron

You guys have any recommendations for silent fan(s)? There are a few computer fans I can grab off newegg that are quiet but I have no idea if the proximity to saltwater will mess things up

You guys have any recommendations for silent fan(s)? There are a few computer fans I can grab off newegg that are quiet but I have no idea if the proximity to saltwater will mess things up

Noctua. What size?

No such thing as overkill on cooling. I use 3x 120mm noctuas for 4x nanobox pucks. The heatsink just gets warm at full blast and it's cold at normal power. Heat is the #1 killer of LEDs so keeping them very cool is never a bad thing.

I'm using arctic 120TC pro's on my arrays. Completely silent and they have a temp sensor built into them that ramps the fan up as the temp rises.

Archived