Top Shelf Aquatics

My 58 Gallon Caribbean Reef

michael_cb_125

Thanks for all the tank shots! Your Sailfin looks like she has a lot of personality.

(I'll take one of everything, BTW.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I love those little blennies. Watching them in groups is so funny, they bicker back and forth constantly and it's hilarious!

michael_cb_125

Hello Everyone!!

My little Caribbean reef is coming along nicely. My rock flowers are now on a spawning schedule. It is really neat to see. Every four days, by male anemones stand nice and tall and "release". I have seen up to six spawn at a time, and the display literally looks like I poured a half gallon of milk in it. I am dying to post videos, but apparently I am an idiot when it comes to uploading to a forum.

I made a few new additions yesterday. I will work on photos shortly.

On a sad note, I found my slipper lobster dead this morning. No idea what could have happened. He was finally settled in and would come out to eat from my hand :(

~Michael

Sucks that you lost the slipper lobster. It was very interesting looking. Could you try posting to Youtube and then linking the vids here? Would love to see the rock flowers spawning. Have you noticed if any new baby rock flowers are sprouting up?

Hello Everyone!!

My little Caribbean reef is coming along nicely. My rock flowers are now on a spawning schedule. It is really neat to see. Every four days, by male anemones stand nice and tall and "release". I have seen up to six spawn at a time, and the display literally looks like I poured a half gallon of milk in it. I am dying to post videos, but apparently I am an idiot when it comes to uploading to a forum.

I made a few new additions yesterday. I will work on photos shortly.

On a sad note, I found my slipper lobster dead this morning. No idea what could have happened. He was finally settled in and would come out to eat from my hand :(

~Michael

I can't believe how often they're spawning. That's truly incredible. I did not know it was possible to spawn soooo much. I'd never read or heard that either from Tropicornium. That's fantastic. I'm so jealous!!!

I can't believe how often they're spawning. That's truly incredible. I did not know it was possible to spawn soooo much. I'd never read or heard that either from Tropicornium. That's fantastic. I'm so jealous!!!

I think that is the epitome of a perfect tank. Your inhabitants constantly spawning. Paul B's fish are always spawning. This is my goal. Such a realistic environment that the fish want to spawn.

New Rock Flower Anemon

Screenshots_2015-02-28-09-27-36_zpsy6ja4

~Michael

Hey Michael,

Your set up is awesome! All those gorgonias make it look very natural, like a real reef.

All your rock flower anemones are great, but the bicolor ones takes it up a notch. Where did you purchase it from if you don't mind me asking :)

michael_cb_125

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

Today I found a new baby Rock Flower. I am up to a total of 6 babies that I have found. Two did not make it, something tore them in half. The other four are doing very well. Two are red and are now to almost an inch across, the other two are green, one is .5" and the new guy I found today is 3/8ths of an inch.

While on the spawning note, two of my masked gobies paired off about two weeks ago. I found a little cave where they have setup house. They are heavily cleaning this area, so I assume they are preparing for eggs.

My ricordea are settling in nicely and seem to be very happy. These are the best Ricordea I have seen in a long time, I just cannot get good pictures. I am working on it though.

Two other additions are my Orange Knobby Gorgonian, not vibrantly orange, but very subtle orange skin under brown polyps. I have Orange Tree gorgonians on order.

I am uploading pictures now.

~Michael

Hooray for babies. Don't feel bad. I had 20, one survived, now I haven't seen it for a month. Hopefully we'll have more luck but I'm excited that you have some that are surviving.

michael_cb_125

Good Morning Everyone!!

FlowerMama- Do you have issues with your babies wanting to move constantly? Everyone I have seen have moved all over the place. The adults rarely move.

Any ideas as to why they are moving so much?

Thanks

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Here are a few shots from yesterday.

Bubble Garden:

20150313_140035_zpspie2gufv.jpg

Newest Baby Rock Flower:
20150313_152546_zpsx7c4v85a.jpg

A few shots of some rics before they went into the display:

Screenshot_2015-03-13-13-46-20_zpsn8yzgo

Screenshot_2015-03-13-13-45-30_zps8fhrcr

Screenshot_2015-03-13-13-44-29_zpsbesjst

Screenshot_2015-03-13-13-42-54_zpsfzglfn

Ric Rock:

20150312_163508_zpstiffx5wx.jpg

Hooray for babies. Don't feel bad. I had 20, one survived, now I haven't seen it for a month. Hopefully we'll have more luck but I'm excited that you have some that are surviving.

Yeah, I have had some pop up in my 40B gorg tank, and they never seem to stay in one spot or last all that long, but I am never feeding them either, so maybe they need to be fed for better survival rates...

I don't know why they move but I just know one of mine moved under the skirt, didn't have light and I think that's why she perished as she didn't have access to the food particles in the water. I tried to move one away from the side of the overflow, but it perished. Others I never touched as they showed up on the rocks so I wasn't going to dare to take them off. They perished too. So, I don't know what works or not but I'm not going to touch them anymore. They're on their own in the wild so nature will just have to hopefully do what it does.

I do know that I read in the article by Tropicorium in the Coral magazine that they do try to group together. Adults do that too. I personally love that they want to be that snug w/ each other.

What mile marker are you collecting? I'e never been able to find Rock Flowers while diving and would love to do so. I usually collect out of Islamorada mm 76.5. Are you finding them on offshore patch? I'd appreciate some advice since all the commercial collectors hoard their collection sites.

• 2 weeks later...
michael_cb_125

Hello Everyone!!
Here are a few new updated photos. I have not added too much, a few gorgs, inverts and rics.

Everything is starting to fill in nicely, and I think that it is starting to look more natural. I cannot wait for my mag rocks to become encrusted in coraline....

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-29-45_zpsfxsn8v

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-30-15_zpsikkov4

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-30-29_zpsguyhzt

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-30-46_zpsyqnnl4

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-31-09_zpsgydvi0

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-31-29_zpsv2h9vd

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-31-45_zpsxj9gts

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-31-52_zpstumnug

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-32-01_zpsfcrvwv

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-32-41_zpsk8l9zp

Screenshot_2015-03-27-17-32-18_zps65yho9

I know there are some weird angles on some of the photos, I was trying to get decent shots, but these were what I got...

~Michael

I love all the varieties of the gorgs in the tank. Gorgs just add such a nice wispiness and natural look to the tank. And of course I love your pile of nems. :wub:

Archived