Reefin Ric's 40 gallons to freedom

Reefin Ric Flair

Reefin Ric Flair

Added a bunch of stuff! Just getting around to updating

Maxima clam

20150514_180050.jpg

Reef octopus bh 1000

20150513_223026.jpg

Steve Tyree setting sun monti, bummer that the pink and orange aren't coming through the pic

20150514_180809.jpg

Cat's eye acro, polyp extension is crazy today

20150514_180744.jpg

Season's greeting monti

20150514_175844.jpg

Neon yellow aussie tabling acro, again the yellow isn't coming through and the lime green polyps are amazing in person

20150514_180732.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo dawg that's some killa stuff you got in der! Hope you have the Mrs. the run down on how to keep it alive while we are hitting up the cabin for my last hoorah!

• 2 months later...
Reefin Ric Flair

It's been a while since I posted but you best believe I've been knee deep in the salt game. Some recent changes include the addition of a wonderful forest fire digi and a six line wrasse.

But my big excitement is due to upgrading my 20 gallon tall to a 40 gallon breeder courtesy of petco's 1 dollar per gallon deal

My brah Nano Fever and I will likely be working on the transfer next week or so. Ordering the extra sand today

Reefin Ric Flair

Boy oh boy, it is so true about wanting to upgrade your tank size after getting into this hobby. I started my 20 gallon tank in February and I'm transferring to a 40 gallon breeder as we speak!

20150805_180444.jpg

Things in excited for

Being able to vacuum more area of sand

More acans!

Getting a torch coral again! Going to get an aussie gold I think

Rose bubble tip anemones!!!

Getting a zoa colony or two

A few more fish! Looking at a cool helfrichi firefish now, maybe a ruby red dragonet too if I add an HOB refugium as a place to grow macro algae and copepods

Reefin Ric Flair

FYI, that zoa-tree thing you have going on....badass. Can't wait to see the upgrade!

Thanks! Here is how it looks today 20150805_181828.jpg

20150805_181842.jpg

Reefin Ric Flair

Tank is painted, rim notched to fit the goosenecks for the lights. Lastly, made screen top lid and got a red banded pistol shrimp today. He hit the sand and I'm pretty sure he snapped his claw at the six line.

I need one piece for my light and I'm ready to transfer to this 40 gallon breeder.

20150812_123806.jpg

20150811_130554.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Reefin Ric Flair

Well after a long ass night with Nano Fever getting the lights working and then committing traffic crimes to make it to the LFS with 6 mins before closing to pick up more live rock (and a blood red fire shrimp for good measure) here is the current scape after getting home and transferring everything. I was a tired sweaty mess at 130 am but it was worth it. Minor hiccup though. The one fan isn't working on the light and my white channels aren't controlled in tandem like the Blues and the moonlight which are fine.

Not having the lights is pretty huge right now since it is unknown whether it will be an easy fix or not. I'm hoping it can be solved very soon because I don't have a plan B. On the plus side all my livestock survived and seems fine. My new blood red fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimp and hanging out together on a rock and I have confirmation that my red banded pistol shrimp is alive and well.

When I took all the rock out of my previous tank he wasn't visible in or near his burrow but he showed himself as I was transferring the sand. I was so happy to see him because my plan was just to scoop carefully and hope that he made it. I put him in the bin with my other livestock but when I went to transfer the livestock to the new tank I couldn't find him again! I was praying that he was in or attached to one of the liverocks and he must have been because I found him today in the tank when scaping.

20150822_122810.jpg

Reefin Ric Flair

Added a flame angel yesterday and my two Nanobox duos are working in concert with the Bluefish controller! They are so beautful and have a different shape from my other fish that I had to roll the dice. So far it hasn't been nipping corals or being aggressive with the other fish.

20150824_143855.jpg

Here is the flame angel being cleaned by the new blood red fire shrimp

20150824_150151.jpg

Things are moving along nicely. I have a rainbow bta and a beautful aussie gold torch coral coming very very soon so stay tuned.

Reefin Ric Flair

I haven't had any problems out of my flame angle so far.Every thing looks good and I will stay tuned in for the new additions.

Sounds good, Dan. They are so awesome that they are worth the risk

Reefin Ric Flair

Moving on Up Part 1

It is time for your main man, Reefin Ric to make a confession and set the record straight at the holy throne of Poseidon regarding my recent material omission of traffic violations while picking up live rock with Nano Fever among other events.

Two-Three weeks into the dream of transitioning from a 20 tall to a 40 breeder I was finally getting ready to take the plunge. I had all the necesstities ready to go! More sand, larger heater, existing HOB filter and MP10 powerhead all ready to take to the next step. I was in the process of adding a second Nanobox duo to my existing setup of a Duo with a bluefish. Long story short, I am inept when it comes to wiring and I fit into the common story of setting up a tank and feeling the persistent call of a bigger setup. NanoFever says he is ready to wire it up aroud 630 pm on a Friday night. This cat is a busy dude, y'all! He is eating at the finest restaurants in Pittsburgh and the surrounding regions. He is the kind of dude who barely cares of the price of a cannoli after spending the GDP of a 3rd world country on a meal.

I arrive to his place at around 7:10pm after rushing around the house collecting my things and components. It is now 7:44 and he gets the lights working in tandem between the two Duos and the Bluefish. I swear you could see the flow of electricity through the wires connecting the magnificent glow thatr epresented my dreams of the new possibilities of a larger, more aesthetically-pleasing tank. We now have 16 mins to reach the LFS. We rush to the car and I peel off exceeding the 25 mph speed limit of his neighborhood's plan. We reach the roads and we are zoooooming!!!!!....until we reach a wack ass Expedition with a bumper sticker that reads "Drum Machines Have No Souls". Yes, it really said that, I ask "The Fever" if I should pass him on a double yellow line and of course he says 'Yes' because he is just an innocent passenger to the crime but before I has a moment to reach that obvious conclusion I find myself and the car somehow tearing off into the left lane and overtaking this SUV.

The anti-EDM music vehicle was now nothing but a faded image in the rearview on our way to the LFS oasis....that is until we approached a stoplight 2 minutes down the road and he is pulled up next to us intentionally stopping short of the "Stop here on red" sign. I instantly begin to pretend having a conversation of immediate importance with a lot of hand gestures , exaggerated mouth movements, and bigtime nodding. It was too late because NanoFever already looked at the guy while uncontrollably laughing like the Joker. We sweated it out for what seemed like an eternity but after the light turned green we made it to the store with 3 mins to spare.

What happens next? Was the store still open because we all know a LFS may not be closing at precisely that time especially on a Friday night? Keep your ear to the ground for Part 2 even though the story was told in a less boring way a few posts ago

Reefin Ric Flair

Added a rainbow bubble tip anemone and an aussie gold torch coral today. I've been wanting an anenome and it was a big bonus to upgrading to a larger tank. The torch coral is going to take some time to acclimate and extend itself to its true form. It has really stunning gold color that can't be done justice through pics

20150826_130723.jpg

20150826_112824.jpg

righttirefire

Love me my BTAS! that's just a little guy. Enjoy. Be careful. Mine tends to move at night. Might be an inch could be across the tank.

Reefin Ric Flair

Love me my BTAS! that's just a little guy. Enjoy. Be careful. Mine tends to move at night. Might be an inch could be across the tank.

Can't wait to see how things work out. They are so cool and I had to have one

• 3 months later...
Reefin Ric Flair

It's been way too long since I hollered at you all and updated my tank thread. Here are some recent changes

Maxima clam

20151202_144237.jpg

Ruby red dragonet

20151104_164617.jpg

20151120_165542.jpg

Yellow candy hogfish, so hard for me to get a clear pic

20151107_161843.jpg

Dragon soul favia

20151202_144420.jpg

Demon eye chalice, jason fox thrill seeker favia, rose bta with a nice green center

20151125_164253.jpg

Zoa colony and another maxima clam. I two of these clams for a bargain

20151125_164213.jpg

FTS

20151202_144345.jpg

20151125_164227.jpg

Zoa colony and acan island. jason fox candy cane, green acan achinata, two other large acans in the back. Superman monty. Aussie gold torch on the left edge of the pic. Sir junk palys on the sand

20151124_133033.jpg

Archived