Cultivated Reef

Ecotech Vortech Discussion / Feedback

StrainedSky

I went through a dead MP10 (and three that had bad bearings) and two MP40 with bad motors to get there, all of which were not pre-production models. You sure that's a good comparison?

And wtf is a brick wall?

Alot of people have had problems not aligning them properly ;)

Watch your own videos.... it produces flow like a brick wall.....

Only in the case of the "Gyre" it is the wall that moves :lol:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and Chris!, don't take it as me hating on ecotech or MP's, I still love my MP's (though I'm dissapointed with flow from them in my 40b), I think they're a great product and definitely have some benefits such as replacement parts, etc..

jedimasterben

Alot of people have had problems not aligning them properly ;)

And I'm not among them.

Watch your own videos.... it produces flow like a brick wall.....

Only in the case of the "Gyre" it is the wall that moves :lol:

Uh, what's your point? Do you really think that the MP40 does something different? Does it make the water dance away from the pump?

Nothing changes the fact that regardless of price, NOTHING on the market can top a Vortech in terms of programming and connectivity with other vortechs/Radions. No other company makes makes lights and pumps that seamlessly network and interact. Couple that with Customer Service, and quality of construction/performance, THAT is what you are paying for. Nobody argues that other pumps can move MORE water, they argue that nobody else's pumps can do what a MP can. Every times someone says," Other pumps just can't do what an MP can out of the box" and they get a response along the lines of," My Jebao moves way more water," I just shake my head.....lol.

Exactly! Its not about moving more water, its about the way they move water..... and they do move a good amount of water, just not forceably :)

I love when they say well I can buy x jebaos for that price.... sure and you likely will :lol:

If a Jebao did exactly what a MP does, you wouldn't be paying 80.00. You are paying so little because or the place they are manufatured, the quality of materials, and the ability of the product.

This doesn't make them a bad product, or anything else. The fact is simple, they are a lower quality product.

Why do my pumps need to talk to my lights?

And before I get called a "hater" I like ecotechs lights. I wish they had a reasonable nano option for my Nuvo 8.

I will admit I'm not a huge fan of their pumps. Just too noisey, too expensive and I don't like the motor outside the tank design. For a bigger tank I think they are great but on a nano, it's just not for me I guess. I prefer Tunze.

I know a lot of people out there like their pumps and that's awesome for them. But the MP series is not the perfect option for every tank out there.

If a Jebao did exactly what a MP does, you wouldn't be paying 80.00. You are paying so little because or the place they are manufatured, the quality of materials, and the ability of the product.

This doesn't make them a bad product, or anything else. The fact is simple, they are a lower quality product.

who is saying that any other product does exactly what MP does?

Uh, what's your point? Do you really think that the MP40 does something different? Does it make the water dance away from the pump?

LMAO is it not the whole marketing ploy of the gyre that it moves water differently, now you want to say they do it the same? :lol:

Heres another good one, they claim it moves every inch of water and no dead spots.... if theres no dead spots why do you need to be able to reverse the thing in order to change the flow to stir up detrius that has settled :lol:

Its all good Ben, sip that free tea :)

Alot of people have said their wp/rw do the same thing :lol:

LMAO is it not the whole marketing ploy of the gyre that it moves water differently, now you want to say they do it the same? :lol:

Heres another good one, they claim it moves every inch of water and no dead spots.... if theres no dead spots why do you need to be able to reverse the thing in order to change the flow to stir up detrius that has settled :lol:

Alot of people have said their wp/rw do the same thing :lol:

it moves water, it can make a wave, it's small.. in that regard, yes, they do the same thing.. for me the largest benefit of the MP pumps is having no wires in the tank (exclusive to MPs), the drawback is not having the ability to aim it. it's a trade-off.. I don't think anyone is saying they're exactly the same.

Why do my pumps need to talk to my lights?

And before I get called a "hater" I like ecotechs lights. I wish they had a reasonable nano option for my Nuvo 8.

I will admit I'm not a huge fan of their pumps. Just too noisey, too expensive and I don't like the motor outside the tank design. For a bigger tank I think they are great but on a nano, it's just not for me I guess. I prefer Tunze.

I know a lot of people out there like their pumps and that's awesome for them. But the MP series is not the perfect option for every tank out there.

1.I guess the same reason that people network all their stuff through a controller etc. We aren't talking about the ability to only network with lights, but the other pumps.

2. Of course they aren't the answer for every tank, but neither is a Jabeo? No product is a one stop, end all for everyone.

If I had a penny for every time I heard,"My Jebao does the same thing as a Vortech for 1/4 the price" I could buy several Vortechs....lol

If I had a penny for every time I heard,"My Jebao does the same thing as a Vortech for 1/4 the price" I could buy several Vortechs....lol

:huh: it does do the same thing, it's not exactly the same in all aspects (like having wire in tank), but what it does is the same. it's a small wave-making water mover.

But, a Jabeo doesn't do all the same THINGS as a MP......... :huh: it does SOME of the same things.

Not to mention at a lower quality in materials, support, etc....

:huh: it does do the same thing, it's not exactly the same in all aspects (like having wire in tank), but what it does is the same. it's a small wave-making water mover.

So maxi-jets, sun-suns, koralia etc.etc. etc. are all the same and compareable competiton for mp,wp,rw,tunze,and gyre too correct? I mean they all move water and have a piece of the market share pie :)

So maxi-jets, sun-suns, koralia etc.etc. etc. are all the same and compareable competiton for mp,wp,rw,tunze,and gyre too correct? I mean they all move water and have a piece of the market share pie :)

yes, to some extent, some more than others.. I feel like this is a trap :lol:

also, mmmm.. pie..

2fa4579f1dc98e2bcd80790d076d7705.jpg

jedimasterben

That was aimed more towards your 'gentle' output comment about the MP40. It's certainly gentle on the lower settings, just like the Gyre is, but you still should not place corals directly in its flow path.

Detritus settles in any spot that it can. Getting a gyre going helps to get as much water moving as possible, but you'll still have some within rocks, under them, etc that just won't move no matter what kind of flow you have.

That was aimed more towards your 'gentle' output comment about the MP40. It's certainly gentle on the lower settings, just like the Gyre is, but you still should not place corals directly in its flow path.

Detritus settles in any spot that it can. Getting a gyre going helps to get as much water moving as possible, but you'll still have some within rocks, under them, etc that just won't move no matter what kind of flow you have.

I hate this new quote shit it won't let me break this up into sections like I used to be able to....

The MP40 is way gentler, and you can put even deepwater sensitive acros in its path inches away at full bore... I've done it. But ok, if you can't put coral in the flow pattern and the gyre is 10 or 12 inches depending on model (based on MD or DFS specs I don't remember right now...) that makes for one hella boring tank with nothing atleast 10-12" down the middle as it has atleast that wide of a flow path :lol:

I'm all for getting water moving, just not with the extreme force the gyre requires to do so.

I may try a used mp40 if I can find one cheap.. two 10's aren't doing it for me, there's plenty of flow but I feel like they're just fighting each other..

reefernanoman

I have both an MP10 and a JEBAO WP10. I like the MP10 better because it's easier to clean, since I don't have to mess with the wiring, while the WP10 has to be wiggled out of its bracket, which might break in the future like the Tunze ones due, since they look exactly the same.

jedimasterben

I hate this new quote shit it won't let me break this up into sections like I used to be able to....

The MP40 is way gentler, and you can put even deepwater sensitive acros in its path inches away at full bore... I've done it. But ok, if you can't put coral in the flow pattern and the gyre is 10 or 12 inches depending on model (based on MD or DFS specs I don't remember right now...) that makes for one hella boring tank with nothing atleast 10-12" down the middle as it has atleast that wide of a flow path :lol:

I'm all for getting water moving, just not with the extreme force the gyre requires to do so.

That's why the Gyre is recommended to be placed at the top of the water column (2-4" below the surface) blowing across the top of the water column or vertically on one of the panels blowing across it.

Are there any long term Jaebo users here? Long term meaning over a year?

I own 3 WP25's, 2 WP10's, 2 MP40's and 1 MP10. I recently purchased two RW15's for my 150 gallon tank.

In my opinion comparing the two vendors is meaningless, but just my opinion.

My vortechs maintain power for months, only requiring cleaning when the intake starts to get blocked. The Jaebo pumps lose significant power after a month and require cleaning to remove gunk on the impellers. I have noticed my new RW15's have lost a lot of power since I added them a little over a month ago and I'm worried because I was unable to screw the front off for impeller cleaning.

I also have a Vortech battery backup that supplies backup power to one of my MP40's and my MP10 on a smaller tank. You can do this for the Jaebos as well, or any DC pump, but I'll pay to be lazy and just plug it in.

If you can't afford to buy a vortech pump and heat in the tank is not an issue them go for the Jaebo, but don't pretend performance is the same because it's not, not even close. I like the price of the Jaebos but I AM lazy and don't like to clean things. :)

Everyone would love the mp10/40/60 but get the jebaos because they are a fraction of the cost, I would love a pair of mp40s over my rw15s but the mp40s would be 4x the price...

Why are people even bothering to say the jebaos are better...

Archived