Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jmt's project: pico

jmt

I was meandering through wal-mart at about 2:00AM, desperately seeking some gatorade and something to do in my restless state.

Ah ha!

I found this little cube glass tank for $3 and some change. I already had the Red Sea Nano Filter and a 7.5w Mini-Heater (fits in filter). I found a little vase that looks worth of attempting a pico.

The dimensions? I dunno. I filled it with water before looking at the sticker on the bottom. No worries. The water is from the tap and is only temporary (testing the heater). Tommorow, if everything checks out, I will post back on the start of my project pico.

So far, the specs:

-Small Glass Cube (<1ga.)

-Red Sea Nano Filter

-7.5w Mini-Heater

-10w Screw-in PC (6700k)

Future plans:

-7w Azoo Clip-on Light

-1" (+?) Sand Bed

-.5 - 1lb. of Live Rock

-Coral: Softies (Zoos, etc.)

-Macroalgae

-Livestock (?)

Bonzai!

5403pico.JPG

I assume the brown tint is comming from the wood be stand. I'll get better pics later.

-Justin

oh can you jsut feel the love?

you both are silly.

nice find justin, i hope you put in my suggestion

GSP AND A SEXY SHRIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know you like it *****!

corn is the mighty food of the gods

love it

eat it

bow down to me

you know you want to

do it *****!

corn is the perfect food

and i guess i have to spell it differently to make it trhough the censors.

do it biatch!!

then why are you freaking on my av?

jmt, i like the new vase. it is sweet

Case, screw you, i'll see you in chat baby.

You know you can't keep anything in such a small container like that.:blink:

Does that heater have a tag on the cord showing the water level ?

Ha dave, funny funny. I'm going to come to raid you of your loose xenia and polyp frags. I need to get soem other stuff as well and I want to see the new tank.

Yes. The water in the Nano Filter just barely covers it :). I figure that water level is not going to drop anytime soon, so why not. But, the thermometer was reading 82* after continuous use over night. I might buy a timer and run the heater 1hr. on/off continuosly. What do you think?

Dang it, I'm really confused. I thought this was a forum for discussion of small reef systems, not alternate uses for vegetables or talking down other people or their ideas. If jmt wants to put fish in a flower vase, he should be supported and helped. This is how we learn. Oh yeh, Justin you misspelled SOME. Proofread!

Updates!

I window tinted the back of the pico w/ 5% tint. It now has a 1" sand bed, saltwater, and a cerinth snail.

5403pico21.JPG

5403pico3.JPG

5403lonelycerinth.JPG

It is still kind of cloudy from the sand. I also need to pick up a different light.

So... what should I put in it besides corals? A sexy shrimp perhaps? Maybe a neon goby?

-Justin

New pics w/ Azoo 7w PC light.

I had to shorten the fixture about 1 1/4" so it would sit right over the tank. I think it looks sweet, despite the green housing.

5403piconewlight.JPG

5403piconewlight2.JPG

-Justin

Originally posted by jmt

... But, the thermometer was reading 82* after continuous use over night.  I might buy a timer and run the heater 1hr. on/off continuosly.  What do you think?

I would see what the daytime temp with the light on is and if it is high enough I'd have the heater come on once the light is off. The heater needs to have water above the bottom of the cap. It has a safety device that will render it inoperative if run below that and it gets too hot.

Originally posted by jmt

New pics w/ Azoo 7w PC light.

I had to shorten the fixture about 1 1/4" so it would sit right over the tank.  I think it looks sweet, despite the green housing.

-Justin

Those vase lights are throw aways. No replacing the bulb.

Yeah, but I don't know if it will be set-up for a couple of months or not. That I'll detemrine when I go back to school.

Besides, you;re not open on monday or tuesday :P.

Originally posted by jmt

Besides, you;re not open on monday or tuesday :P.

True enough. Be back open on Tuesday at the end of August.

I've got 'em,that's how I know it's a throw away.

I liked the pendant idea you had going.

Archived