ReefCleaners.org

DurocShark's Bubble Algae Farm (RETIRED)

DurocShark

Markburns43

Inspiring for a future build! I have drawings that resemble columns like this and I'f I can get them to look and function like I want that would be great!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to do a walkaround video of the tank when the wife and kids aren't around to interrupt. I tried today, but they kept talking. lol

The walkaround will really show how this goes together. It'll also show all the scratches in the tank. Grrr... "Free" tank my eye.

Mr. Microscope

Very unique tank! I'll be following along on this one. Good luck!

BTW, do you have plans for expanding the livestock?

Very unique tank! I'll be following along on this one. Good luck!

BTW, do you have plans for expanding the livestock?

Of course!

I'm thinking filefish or foxface, a dwarf angel, and if I can convince my daughter, clowns (with a BTA).

I need LOTS of corals too. A heavily stocked 9g tank makes for a really empty 70. ;)

Mr. Microscope

I'm thinking filefish

Ooh! Those would go very well in that square frame. I could definitely see one or two of those floating and poking around.

Just added a Bubble Magus 3.5:

KdyoyxJ.jpg

And a sump light (the light from my 9g). It's a Panorama Pro (blue/white) a royal blue stunner, and a uv stunner:

dtqD6Oa.jpg

Pics:

O6B8TuQ.jpg

AP8KK8m.jpg

S0xp91s.jpg

Yep, green fuzzy algae is all over EVERYTHING. Time for my CUC order. It'll have to wait until next week though since I'm going to be out of town starting on Thursday...

That said, I ordered a bunch more zoas from SaltCritters last week that'll be here Tuesday. Sigh. I hate putting new stuff in my tank then not being there. But I couldn't pass these up:

3T4r1Qc.jpg

PS8Yp7v.jpg

xiBNCEx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Condy nem decided it wants to live in the macros on the back of the rocks in my tank. The sexy shrimp went with it.

KZbli1t.jpg

Well, I think I'm losing my cup coral, zoas and montis. :(

The temperatures have been spiking over 84*F, and they have bleached out. My duncans, blastos, nem, and pipe organs are doing fine, though the duncan and blastos look stressed.

I doublechecked my numbers over a couple days, and they're fairly stable (aside from temp) at:

Sal: 1.026

KH 7.8

CA 500

Mg 1480

Amonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10 (yeah, a bit high)

I'm doing small daily water changes to get the nitrate down. It's from my heavy overfeeding for a week before going out of town for 5 days. And that's when the temps got their highest since the house was closed up the whole time. I have fans on the tank (going through a 5 gallon bucket of topoff water every 3 days) but they don't help enough.

I really don't want a chiller. :( Not only can I not afford it, it's just another ugly thing in my house. Grrr...

BTW: My fresh salt water numbers are

KH 8.4

CA 550

Mg 1660

So SOMETHING is consuming minerals in my tank.

Markburns43

Oh jeez, I've beennworried as well my tankismhovering 82 but that's it I hope I can get through thismsummer with a spike, can't forget tomturn the ac on!

I only have central air in my condo. Last summer I ran it and the bill was over $200 more for two months. I can't do that again.

Another piece may be the shitty MH bulb that came with my fixture. I ordered a Phoenix that should be here tomorrow.

So I misread the ad. It's a generic "Phoenix compatible" bulb. I hate that shit.

Anyway, it's labeled as 20000k but I think it's closer to 15000k just by my eyeball. Still, the zoas already look better after just one full day with the new bulb.

I used crappy "daylight" MH bulbs in the 80's and they worked fine. I don't know what it is about the one that came with this fixture that bleached my corals. But it looks like that's what it was. I spent way too much time testing my water when it was the damn light.

When I bought that light I figured I'd be replacing the bulbs eventually. Well, eventually is here. Screw the crap bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Took some PAR readings with the Seneye on my 70 with the MH fixture.

I think it has trouble with actinics. It kept wanting to read 130 at the top of the right column. So not perfect, but gets me in the ballpark.

MzcEgaN.jpg

How do you feed your sexy shrimps in such a tall (large) tank? Do you target feed them, or do they scavenge whatever falls to the bottom? I want to add some to my 29 and not sure if they will be ok. What do you feed them?

Awesome pics btw!

I started out target feeding them and my goby. Then I discovered if I turn off the return pump on my sump and leave just the powerheads running, I can stick a pinch of flake in the flow and it gets down to them. They have no trouble grabbing it as it goes by. The nem and LPS corals get some that way too. Hermit crabs get anything that gets caught in the rocks.

I have to use quite a bit when I do this, because the chromis and butterfly will grab whatever they can before it gets low enough for everybody else.

• 2 weeks later...

Yanked the light, replaced with one of the $70 chinese LED units off ebay. I'm much happier with the appearance of the corals with that light, but the coverage is worse. I think I need two of them on that tank.

That said, the temp increase with the light on is negligible. WOOT!

I'd love to raise it up. Problem is the front to back distance is so narrow I'll get a ton of spill if I do. Plus, this light has to punch down to the bottom and give me 160 PAR at least... I haven't measured yet. I did a bunch of cleaning and such yesterday too, so the water wasn't pristine. Not fair to do PAR readings in cloudy water. ;)

I think I'll stick the Orbit Marine LED strip on there to fill the dark corners. I'm not worried about the light being high enough to do anything with, just make it look a little less dramatic. heh.

Klein's Butterfly. :)

Were you watching me replace the flex pipe with pvc, and futzing around trying to make a durso work in the overflow? ;)

Archived