SaltCritters.com

da1001's dead tank update

da1001

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Love that picture with the hermit crab :)

Is the starfish white? It looks like an asterina. I saw one the ohter night in my 10g, but he was a little lopsided:

16330280467_bc17d9c640_b.jpg20150205-IM10 Zoas and Asterina-033.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yes, he is white, but instead of looking fluffy like that one is he looks more like a hairless starfish with small spikey spots on the top of him. Judging from all the starfish pics and species identification guides I can find he seems to be just a common starfish, nothing special. If he starts getting hairy like an Asterina, I will let you know. B)

Tank is looking good da1001! And I am very jealous of your photo taking skills, the pic with the hermit is awesome! It is hard to be patient when the tank says it is ready for more corals, I went semi crazy last week and got just over $100 of Zoas, I tried to just get small frags, but...

Good luck with your shopping and patients ;)

Tank is looking good da1001! And I am very jealous of your photo taking skills, the pic with the hermit is awesome! It is hard to be patient when the tank says it is ready for more corals, I went semi crazy last week and got just over $100 of Zoas, I tried to just get small frags, but...

Good luck with your shopping and patients ;)

Thanks joe! I really appreciate the props on the photography part since I am so new to that part of the hobby, I am still learning but happy with the fact that every picture I manage to capture is slightly better than the last one, and all without using any form of photographic editing software whatsoever. What you see is what you get, from my SD card to photo bucket to here. Maybe one of these days I will shell out for a program that allows me to crop down and such so we can see the super zoomed pics but for now you will have to live with what I can finagle out of just the camera. B)

I am looking forward to at least seeing what the LFS has tomorrow. ;) I might get a frogspawn if they have any, and maybe a fish since my Ammonia has been at 0 for going on 4 days now after CUC and first corals went in. It just depends on what all they have, if they don't have what I want I will continue the "patience game" term I coined to associate with reef keeping as a general hobby.

Since you have a Nikon, go the their website and download "Capture NX-D". It's free and will process NEF (Nikon RAW) files. It will do everything you need for post processing including white balance. I used it quite a bit before shelling out the money for Lightroom, and honestly the only real advantage of using Lightroom is the ease of photo organizing and publishing to Flickr.

By the way, I switched from Photobucket to Flickr after I realized that Photobucket doesn't store the full resolution original shots.

Since you have a Nikon, go the their website and download "Capture NX-D". It's free and will process NEF (Nikon RAW) files. It will do everything you need for post processing including white balance. I used it quite a bit before shelling out the money for Lightroom, and honestly the only real advantage of using Lightroom is the ease of photo organizing and publishing to Flickr.

By the way, I switched from Photobucket to Flickr after I realized that Photobucket doesn't store the full resolution original shots.

Awesome man, thanks for the info. B) I'll go do that later tonight. So...on to updates....

............I got some goodies :lol:

Pico Skim came in, I will be running to Wal Mart in a bit to get some clear tubing for it since I forgot all about getting tubing ahead of time lol. Looking forward to getting it running.

They didn't have any decent looking younger yellow watchmen gobies. :(

So I picked up a Clownfish instead. B)

No frogspawn this time. -.- But I still got some money left next time I visit. :)

Got a baby birdsnest in there, an orange Ric, a rock with about 30 assorted zoa polyps on it for extra color and then some candy canes...I think that's it lol. Lights are out for now so once everything has the evening to settle in I will get all you eye-candy hungry buggers your fix in the morning. :wub:

Awesome! Can't wait for pics :)

Got everything you suggested downloaded, I will take some pics in raw tomorrow and test them out on the photo editor to see how I can do. :D

Looking good! How are you liking the Kessil?

Its an awesome fixture, plenty of power. A little loud for my tastes though. Not bad if I am awake but it will definitely wake me up when it powers on in the morning. It has a semi-loud hum like on an old PC fan from the 90's. Maybe 45 decibels or so would be my guess. Since I bought it used for hella cheap on the classifieds here and I dont know how long it has been running before I got it, I cant complain too much. Although when I get some bling in my pocket in June again I will definitely be switching over to the quieter Nanobox. B)

Its an awesome fixture, plenty of power. A little loud for my tastes though. Not bad if I am awake but it will definitely wake me up when it powers on in the morning. It has a semi-loud hum like on an old PC fan from the 90's. Maybe 45 decibels or so would be my guess. Since I bought it used for hella cheap on the classifieds here and I dont know how long it has been running before I got it, I cant complain too much. Although when I get some bling in my pocket in June again I will definitely be switching over to the quieter Nanobox. B)

Wow, really?! Mine is only audible when i'm maybe 6 inches from the fixture itself - and only barely. The stock pump in the IM10 is definitely louder. I am almost wondering if yours is defective maybe? Do you think it's still under warranty? I guess a steal is a steal though :P

Wow, really?! Mine is only audible when i'm maybe 6 inches from the fixture itself - and only barely. The stock pump in the IM10 is definitely louder. I am almost wondering if yours is defective maybe? Do you think it's still under warranty? I guess a steal is a steal though :P

That's not a bad question. I will see if I can find a build date stamped on it somewhere and see what I can find out on it!

The fan in my Kessil A150 is a little loud. Not crazy loud, but it is loudest item when it is on. I can't wait to see the pics of all your purchases, and the use of the new software.

Ok, so here's the deal. Apparently to use the software I need to upload a raw to Nikon XD program, make my changes, save it as a jpeg so Flickr can recognize it and then upload everything. I didn't know about the save to jpeg part lol. I switched back to jpeg fines for a minute so I could at least get you guys some pics uploaded to look at. ;)

I also wanted to apologize about not being able to get a decent pic of the little rock that is chalk full of different Zoa's, for whatever reason my camera just doesnt want to take a decent picture of it so its always out of focus, I will get a better shot of it later. You all know what Zoa's look like, its a rock about half the size of my fist covered on top by 30-50 zoa's, there are some Eagle Eyes, soome Superman's, maybe some Dragon's Eyes?, a few Green Bay Packers? and I think some Armor of the God's colored ones that arent actually armor of the gods lol. I'll look into that later to figure them out. You all can see a pic soon I promise.

And here we go, today's and all future pics courtesy of Flickr instead of photobucket!!

Edit: Ok, Flickr wont work. I tried uploading it with the usual url picture link. Tried using coding, that didnt work. Wth? Help me figure this out please or no pics will be added for several more hours until I put them on photobucket instead. :(

...you guys better give me a like for all this effort I am putting forth to get you pics. B) Uploading them all to photobucket so you can see them.

OK, since I just thought this was a really cool pic, I figured I would add it up.

1.jpg

Next we have the pic of the Zoa colony I was promising.

DSC_0035.jpg

Finally managed to get a good shot. B) Here it is from the side, freshly cut.

DSC_0028.jpg

My new little turd. Haven't named him yet. Maybe something like Killer, or Nemo Found or something.

DSC_0027_1.jpg

Here are the Candy Canes, I will be moving them onto the sandbed farther away from the lights so they dont get pissed off.

DSC_0021.jpg

My little quarter sized Orange Ric. God she's pretty. :wub:

DSC_0019.jpg

And finally, the birdsnest, maybe a half dollar in size? Looks awesome.

DSC_0017_1.jpg

Well, tell me what you think. I am going to move the birdsnest higher where the Ric is sitting, move the Ric down to a slightly lower/flatter shelf on the right that still gets good lighting and place the candy canes on the sandbed on the right. The Zoa colony is good as-is, its already on the Zoa Rock. B)

Make sure to click BBCode, then choose your size, and copy the url

2aerreb.png

Yeah, I tried that but for whatever reason that one didn't work either for me.

That's not a bad question. I will see if I can find a build date stamped on it somewhere and see what I can find out on it!

You know what, this is my bad... I thought you were running the A160WE not the A150W. I have the A160WE, and it's nearly silent. I have heard the 150 is audible though, so probably nothing to worry about. :P

...you guys better give me a like for all this effort I am putting forth to get you pics. B) Uploading them all to photobucket so you can see them.

Well, tell me what you think. I am going to move the birdsnest higher where the Ric is sitting, move the Ric down to a slightly lower/flatter shelf on the right that still gets good lighting and place the candy canes on the sandbed on the right. The Zoa colony is good as-is, its already on the Zoa Rock. B)

Yeah, I tried that but for whatever reason that one didn't work either for me.

Liked! I would have liked this post anyways :lol: I love them all, they looks happy too.

Not sure why the flickr isn't working out for you?

You know what, this is my bad... I thought you were running the A160WE not the A150W. I have the A160WE, and it's nearly silent. I have heard the 150 is audible though, so probably nothing to worry about. :P

Liked! I would have liked this post anyways :lol: I love them all, they looks happy too.

Not sure why the flickr isn't working out for you?

Who knows? If I remember correctly, when I hit the BBC code button I had pre-selected thumbnail size to aid in download speed instead of the full size pic like what you had chosen in your picture. That's the only difference I see. But then again my laptop is not always nice to me lol. It will work on my main pc but not on the laptop so who knows. I am on my main now, I will upload an FTS shot shortly once I finish lunch. It will have all the updated coral placement done already so you can see where they ended up.

Funny story on the FTS: My macro lens is so powerful that I had to take it leaning against the wall on the other side of my room while standing on my bed in order to get the full tank in the shot. B)

Great purchases and patients, I think! I think Little Turd is a great name :) Pics are awesome, just think once you get the hang of the software, you pics are going to be even better.

Great purchases and patients, I think! I think Little Turd is a great name :) Pics are awesome, just think once you get the hang of the software, you pics are going to be even better.

Little Turd, eh? ....that works, :lol:

Ya, just need some practice with it is all. B)

I still need to get that frogspawn before I consider myself "done" for awhile, but I don't know when they will have any more in stock again. I will give them a call sometime and they can add me to the list of people looking for particular corals. When they get another batch of frogspawn frags in they will let me know and I can rush down there and grab it. ;) Once I have that, it will be sit back and enjoy the growth time.

Nice! Love that picture with the hermit crab :)

Is the starfish white? It looks like an asterina. I saw one the ohter night in my 10g, but he was a little lopsided:

16330280467_bc17d9c640_b.jpg20150205-IM10 Zoas and Asterina-033.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I think you are right teeny. It looks like an Asterina. B) I had to save it from the overflow a few minutes ago after it got sucked in and was barely holding onto the lip. Poor little guy got one of its legs knocked off in the tussle but he looks like he will be ok and grow it back eventually.

Artsy type side-shot:

DSC_0003.jpg

And the FTS, had to be handheld so its not perfect, but you get the general idea of where everything is now at least. ;)

DSC_0007_1.jpg

Everything looks great! I do my pictures that same way JDH said. After I upload to Flickr, I click the share button, use BBcode, and select a size (I usually use large). It automatically highlights the URL, so I just hit ctrl-c and then go over to my NR post and hit ctrl-v. When you are editing the post you'll just see the URL code embedded, no picture. But if you preview the post, or just hit the post button, the picture shows up.

Everything looks great! I do my pictures that same way JDH said. After I upload to Flickr, I click the share button, use BBcode, and select a size (I usually use large). It automatically highlights the URL, so I just hit ctrl-c and then go over to my NR post and hit ctrl-v. When you are editing the post you'll just see the URL code embedded, no picture. But if you preview the post, or just hit the post button, the picture shows up.

I'll check that out soon teeny, just gotta get ready for a movie first! I'll be back later tonight with more cool stuff. Maybe a video? I might try that out, I got a youtube account I could upload it on haha B)

So I am back from seeing The Kingsman. I thought it was pretty good. B)

I went to feed Little Turd, turned off the return pump and accidentally put in like 40 New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets instead of the 20 I was aiming for. Then Little Turd turned into something resembling a freak serial killer and ate all but about 5 in like 90 seconds. :blink: I think I am going to feed him about once a day, and definitely not 40 at a time haha. Those pellets are TINY! I'll have to be more careful in the future. So I am trying to figure out how to do this youtube video. I can upload something about a minute or so for you to take a peek at but I am running into 2 very minor problems. If I want to make the video I either have to take it on my bed in order to get a full shot of the tank, so there is a possibility of major picture vibration. I guess the first video might be taken slightly from the side like the one I have above. Second, there isn't much movement in the tank to peek at other than Little Turd swimming around. None of my corals really wave in the current...i dont know. Might be boring as hell to watch lol. Guess that's why I should keep it short, right? :lol:

Archived