ReefCleaners.org

DIY Deluxe Nano Cube @ 7 months

Spasticat

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey 'cat, this is hurting my feelings... Your Nano-Cube has been a model for aquascaping and lighting for many Nano-Cubers. Its a shame you had to dismantle it. Are you going to set something new up after your move is complete?

I'm going to purchase a NIB nano before I move... Can't really move the current setup without breaking it.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the hood, please PM me!

Thx

Sorry to say it my fellow nano-reeforz...

All corals have been donated to a LFS that drop-acclimates and expertly cares for its livestock.

Over the last 3 weeks I have been taking over bags of corals and LR to the store... and it has been fun and sad to see my corals slowly being introduced into the show tanks.

Today I made the last trip, and the owner gave me a semi new (opened but never used) 12 gal nano cube DX, so I can start back up again after I move out of town.

For me, it was the perfect way to keep the corals healthy and happy AND give me an opportunity to continue the hobby without missing a beat.

Besides, isn't the best part of this hobby the beginning "reefer madness" part?? After cycling of course! :wizard:

All that is left of my 16 month project is the custom hood, which of course contains the original 24w JBJ light from the original hood.

And if you have an ebay account (and a hammer to knock the plastic hood off yer cube), you can bid on it.

WHAT???????????!!!!!! That was seriously my favorite tank!!!!!! with that little anemone bed on top, and that massive gsp zone!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 months later...

:wizard: I'm back!

Hey guys I missed you all. To make a long story short, I sold my custom 88w PC Nano Cube hood, tank and all of my corals. To make sure I wasn't coming away completely empty handed, the LFS that took all of my corals agreed to give me a new (still in box) Nano Cube 48w DX.

I basically thought I was going to leave Chicago for a job in Charlotte. This was in April. In May I got a new job in Chicago so I'm still here!

I fired up my new Nano Cube DX as soon as I moved into my new place in September, and I have a few pics to share from the last 3 months.

I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I am making much faster progress than with my first tank -- thanks to learning from mistakes and remembering tips from Nano-reef.

One new tip that I feel I must share is Chemi-Pure. I never had red hair (slime) algae in the last tank, but recently had a real problem with it. After a single dose, all of the red slime was gone in 24 hours -- Amazing!

Nano_007.jpg

I will post more pictures here as I make coral and livestock additions. I also have setup a separate page which is connected to my personal blog... and it shows the progress of this tank from the last 3 months.

Cheers everybody,

Spasticat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sick zoas

Thanks Casabubu.... I ditched the nano-skimmer. I ripped out the tubing and kept the powerhead!

nano-top.jpg

ah, the colors! the colors! i think i'm blind now!

seriously though, beautiful.

you have any trouble keeping that mandarin fat?

Sea_Of_Treachery

wow! your nanos are so sick dude lol, do you have a skimmer , how often do you do w/c's? how much does it cost you to stuff your tank full of corals? im deciding between a 12g pod or nc, or a 24g pod, with the 12g i would have almost 300$ left to spend on corals, etc., with the 24g id have about 150.

Great looking tank. Love that green torch coral and red zoas. Also, how's that mandarin doing? Do you have him trained to eat frozen, or are there just enough pods in the tank?

Great looking tank. Love that green torch coral and red zoas. Also, how's that mandarin doing? Do you have him trained to eat frozen, or are there just enough pods in the tank?

Seriously, nothing would make me happier than a fat mandarin. I got some Ocean Pods when I bought him, with the promise from my LFS that he would do fine with one little container.

As a precaution, I ordered another package of pods today from www.Floridapets.com.

Does anyone know of any reliable pod sources???

I may setup a separate tank with just a heater, airstone, phytoplankton and pods. I don't really have the option of a fuge because I'm a cuber.

natemorriss

Tank is looking great. Your old tank inspired me to get a cube.

A couple of questions.

Are you going to stick with the stock lighting in the nanocube? Where do you get your zoas?

Comment on the mandarin. Rod’s Reef out in Dekalb sells home made frozen food that mandarins have been known to eat might be worth a try and it’s an interesting place to visit. www.rods-reef.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Nate,

I'm sticking with the stock lighting, maybe I'll change out the 50/50 bulbs because it's been 6 months since launching the tank.

I got the zoos at Old Town Aquarium in Chicago.

As for the mandarin, I'm using a 1 gallon culture with an airstone/pump and diluted bioplankton daily.

I take a turkey baster and suck out some copepods every 2-3 days and put them in the main tank. So far so good, but the clownfish LOVES the pods, and is much faster than the mandarin.

Here's an updated pic:

nano-march.jpg

the back of those tanks are covered with a vinyl adhesive. cut out a portion of it with a razor and stick a 13w compact flourescent on the back of it with velcro and a project box from radio shack. that's what i did and there are pods everywhere... especially when i lift the hood up and look in the compartment where the light is shining in

Archived