Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Allathlete5's 10 Gallon Nano Powered by NanoBox

Allathlete5

I love the look of the black sand, but have the same issue. I think I vacuum my sand bed more often than the carpets in my house.

I absolutely love the look, but it's so hard to maintain. It'll be going in my living room when I move, so I'm thinking the salt and pepper look will work best. I also will be getting a 3D background, which should bring it all together and make the tank more of a show piece.

So the guy I picked the hammer, blasto, and rics up from just got his wholesale license along with two frag tanks. Going to be picking up a bunch of zoa frags along with 3-4 rics and hopefully a blasto or two this weekend. Really want to get some more color in this tank.

I also realized (through placing my hammer in a bunch of different spots) that the AC110 creates some great flow along the front glass, but there isn't a whole lot of flow anywhere else. I plan to get a jabeo rw4 and either throw some mesh in the aquaclear output or sand the impeller down some more. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on that?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came home to a nice bacterial bloom on the sandbed. Is this something I should vacuum out or let it do its thing for a little while?

Allathlete5

Tonight I picked up three new frags... a baby blue colored duncan with three heads, 2 new ricordea ( one orange with a green mouth and the other green), and a frag of about 15ish candy cane coral (bright green).

Still haven't found the original ricordeas :(

On a side not... I have yet to see any coraline algae yet. What could be preventing this? I have seen a few small spots here and there on my front glass, but nothing on the rocks or back well yet.

Many will say "patience... coralline algae takes time..." I've had the same want for coralline myself and have been told to just keep the water parameters right. It will eventually happen. In my one year old tank, purple and pink coralline grows well in low lighted areas. For example, the inside of my aquaclear filters, which always have the covers on, are covered in the stuff.

Recently. I've just started 2-part dosing because my calcium is low. I'm only a couple weeks in, and I'm dosing much less than prescribed. There is a little boost in coralline growth as a result. Not saying 2-part is the answer. I'm just sharing my experience.

Allathlete5

Getting ready for the move... Anyone have any suggestions or tips? Going to be moving about 15 miles from where I live, so it's not too big of a trip for the tank.

• 2 months later...
Allathlete5

Haven't updated in awhile, been so busy after the move with work and school. I'll have to snap some pictures tonight if the lights are on when I get home... The ric is doing great! Along with the new blasto. Hammer had a small set sick after the move, but is now beginning to get great extension and fullness. The tank move was a little more stressful than I thought it would be, but everything worked out pretty smoothly.

Two days ago I came home to my cleaner shrimp mid molt and he (maybe she?) wasn't moving.. Thought maybe it was stuck and would be fine and I thought nothing of it until the next morning and it still hadn't moved from that spot... Picked it up with my long tweezers and found it was definitely dead. After a ton of Internet research i still couldn't figure out what went wrong as parameters were all in line... May pick another up, or maybe a fire shrimp, in the next couple of weeks but we shall see.

I've had my eye on the SCA 50 gallon cube Pnp system. Going to sit on it for a month or two and see if it's an upgrade I really want to do!

Pictures to come!!!

Slowtwitch

Sorry to hear about the shrimp. The fire shrimps are cool. I have one that eats from my hand. Very easy to tame.

Archived