Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Allathlete5's 10 Gallon Nano Powered by NanoBox

Allathlete5

Figure out your water reservoir? Hows your cycle percolating along?

Currently just using a food grade 5 gallon bucket from lowes. The tank is right under my desk so I'm putting it under my desk temporarily... Still looking for something around 3ish gallons that I'll be able to put under my stand.

Just ordered my reef cleaners clean up crew. Should be here by this weekend I'm thinking. I stopped by a few fish stores in san Diego when I took my sister back to school, and fell in love with some tank raised white clowns and tank raised black clowns... Might switch up my stock list ideas and get two clowns because I can't decide if I want to go with a white or a black ... Haha just get both

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for the cleanup crew! Prepare to be inundated with snails :)

Did you figure out how to mount the ato sensor under the rim of your tank? All mine are rimless so I've never had to deal with that problem.

Yay for the cleanup crew! Prepare to be inundated with snails :)

Did you figure out how to mount the ato sensor under the rim of your tank? All mine are rimless so I've never had to deal with that problem.

They shipped out and will be here Friday :)

So yeah I just snipped the little black ledge on the inside of the rim and the rest of the trim is think enough to not affect the magnet on the sensor. Its soooo nice to not have to constantly top it off nowadays!!

Picked up my first corals the other night... Grabbed a bright orange zoanthid frag with 5 small heads, a Kenya tree with 3 stalks, and a small frag of gsp. Will getpics if my lights are still on after class tonight.

This weekend I think I'll be picking up 2 super small clowns. One will be a black "domino" and the other almost all white with a tiny bit of black on the edges of white and an orange mouth. Plan on finding a larger white and smaller black.

Parameters look good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 20 nitrate. This was this morning before I left for work.

Thinking of getting some of the marinepure spheres to put in my in tank media basket in hopes of growing some denitryfing bacteria to help with nitrate exporting to go along with my water changes. Still only rocking floss, heater, and rock rubble in it now.

So when I turn up my ac110 it creates a huge crater in the sand. I'm thinking of baffling it with some knitting mesh so that I can turn it up to full flow and then getting a jabeo wp10. The aquaclear has great turn over but it creates a lot of dead spits in the corners...

Thoughts????

Keeping the sand in one place is always a big challenge in pico/nano tanks. Have you tried reducing the flow rate on the ac110? The wp10 would definitely help because you can control the direction of the flow a lot better.

Keeping the sand in one place is always a big challenge in pico/nano tanks. Have you tried reducing the flow rate on the ac110? The wp10 would definitely help because you can control the direction of the flow a lot better.

That's what I've read. I sanded the impeller down a decent amount and have it turned to the slowest setting. I get great surface agitation, but if I turn it up at all the movement goes straight down the glass and makes a huge crater haha. The issue I noticed is that when I baffle the aquaclear, it allows me yo turn it up and doesn't make a valley of sand in my tank, but it also reduces the surface agitation dramatically. Going to have to tinker with it all I suppose. Thinking I'll order the jabeo this weekend. Pictures to come shortly!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the worst, I keep forgetting to get pictures!

Anyways, last night I met up with a local reefer and picked up a few frags. Got 2 small riccordeas for $10... I believe they recently split and one of them is slightly washed out on about a third of its body. Aldo picked up a blasto that has a bright dark red skirt and a neon green center. And lastly I got a single head of this awesome golden hammer. I acclimated them and then dipped all 3 in revive for 10 minutes. They all look great and the hammer started to open up pretty well this morning. Only issue I forsee is that the hammer may need to be moved behind a rock due to flow. Promise I'll get some pics tonight if I get home before lights go into sunset.

A few pics I took of the new corals... Ordered a new filter lense for my phone to see if I can get some better (less blue) pictures...

I'm really liking that blasto, it opened right up and is super vibrant!

Any suggestions for the rics? Think I'm going to glue them to the base of some of my rock but not too sure yet.

QGWFumY.jpg

JW1mV08.jpg

g54g4Z6.jpg

bEWsL7y.jpg

Nice! That ric is pretty :) The rics will be happiest somewhere where they don't get too much flow. They'll let go of the frag plug and float away if they aren't happy with where they are. They like low(ish) light but not complete shade. But even in shade, they'll grow and reach towards the light. If they start to bleach, they're getting too much light. Goo dluck!

Nice! That ric is pretty :) The rics will be happiest somewhere where they don't get too much flow. They'll let go of the frag plug and float away if they aren't happy with where they are. They like low(ish) light but not complete shade. But even in shade, they'll grow and reach towards the light. If they start to bleach, they're getting too much light. Goo dluck!

Some sad news... I think the rics were getting too much flow and released from the frsg plug... I looked everywhere and can't find em :( either they are great at hide and seek or they were sucked into the ac110. I pulled out the filter floss and it doesn't seem like they got sucked in and cut up because the floss was clean.

Probably hiding under a rock or in a crevice somewhere. Keep looking. They may turn up days or weeks from now.

I had one float away and disappear too. It showed up way deep in a rock after a month, disappeared again a day later, and I haven't seen it since. But I'm sure it's in there somewhere :)

I'm moving out the weekend of March 14th so I should be able to find it then when I pull all the rock out for transport.

Turned my pumps off the other day and drop a couple of super small pellets on my blasto and hammer. They both sucked them right in, but eventually spit them back out. This is the food my clowns were raised on so obviously it isn't best suited for the corals... Any suggestions on what I should buy food wise for corals? I plan to get more Ric's, blastos, some acans, and eventually maybe another hammer. I know it probably isn't completely necessary to feed these, but I'd like to be able to help promote growth by weekly or biweekly spot feedings if possible.

My acans, blastos and rics love mysis shrimp. I also feed spirulina enriched brine shrimp. I just spot feed them with tongs or a pipette.

My hammer is a little pickier. He will sometimes eat a shrimp or he may spit it out. I just make sure to offer it to him every time I feed the rest of the corals just in case.

And yes - you will see a huge difference in growth by feeding them. Plus it's fun to watch them suck it down :)

My acans, blastos and rics love mysis shrimp. I also feed spirulina enriched brine shrimp. I just spot feed them with tongs or a pipette.

My hammer is a little pickier. He will sometimes eat a shrimp or he may spit it out. I just make sure to offer it to him every time I feed the rest of the corals just in case.

And yes - you will see a huge difference in growth by feeding them. Plus it's fun to watch them suck it down :)

Frozen mysis correct? I have some tongs and small pipettes which should work perfectly. The blasto looked so cool when it opened up for the pellets. I sat there watching in awe haha

Hey man I got a 10 gallon fw planted with an aq50 , I have it mounted center of tank and if your ok with it in center it moves a good flow forward down to left and right , just a thought, love this tank, I am following along, as I will beconverting to salt water soon using your exp's and thoughts.

Hey man I got a 10 gallon fw planted with an aq50 , I have it mounted center of tank and if your ok with it in center it moves a good flow forward down to left and right , just a thought, love this tank, I am following along, as I will beconverting to salt water soon using your exp's and thoughts.

Yeah this aquaclear110 takes up almost the whole back wall. The flow is great even when slid to the left so that I can fit my auto top off on the right.

Ya I took alook after and its not small hahah. Like you said a supplement poeer head will do the trick and the extrabaffle to decrease flow from he filter,

Frozen mysis correct? I have some tongs and small pipettes which should work perfectly. The blasto looked so cool when it opened up for the pellets. I sat there watching in awe haha

Yep, mysis are perfect. I feed one to each one using tongs, so there's nothing wasted.

Yep, mysis are perfect. I feed one to each one using tongs, so there's nothing wasted.

I'll be picking up some frozen mysis this week! Thanks!!!

Here are a few picks I got last night. Decided to take the hammer off the sand bed and dipped the zoas in revive. The zoas haven't been looking too good, but right after the dip they opened up and look great. I've seen a ton of growth in my hammer, kenya tree, and the blasto has 5 or 6 new heads growing in.

XcLwuQy.jpg

8KZENNP.jpg

TJesUMD.jpg

Here's my dirty african cichlid tank... It's so hard to get a picture of all the fish in one shot with my cell phone. And on top of that, the black sand shows every spec of poop possible. Going to be moving in 2.5 weeks, and I will definitely be switching over to a black/white mix or pure white sand during the moving process...

j4DO44L.jpg

Archived