inTank Media Baskets

My New Tank -> addicted to Nano

artc

Hello...

Do I need to adjust the amount of light used during the cycling process? I noticed if I turned on the lights, the color of my rocks turned dark brown. What is the recommended lighting during the cycling process?

thanks

Art

Try not to get the cleaning crew until your tank has fully cycled. The diatom bloom will burn itself out.

I dont have any experiance with titanium heaters but I don't think it's a good thing to have your heater stuck into the sand like that. I know if it was a glass heater that would mean hot spots where the heater casing touches the rock, sand, corals, etc would lead to cracking of the glass case.

Originally posted by TiGs

Try not to get the cleaning crew until your tank has fully cycled. The diatom bloom will burn itself out.

I dont have any experiance with titanium heaters but I don't think it's a good thing to have your heater stuck into the sand like that. I know if it was a glass heater that would mean hot spots where the heater casing touches the rock, sand, corals, etc would lead to cracking of the glass case.

Nice catch...

The heater has been repositioned above the sand.

Check out the current picture of the Diatom... not sure what I have... yuk!

Not sure what I have growing on my rocks!!!

Check out the picture below... what was once a beautiful rocks is no longer.. have these hairy stuff growing all over the rocks.

I read some material and unable to determine if it is brown algae or Diatom? PLEASE HELP...

I have been purchasing local store's pre-mixed RO/DI water and it should not have any silicates...

The LFS told me to run my lights 24/7 and burn them out.... While about.com said I should reduce my lighting to 7-8 hours per day... which one is it??? The fun of a reef tank has just started!!!

Please advice my reef friends..

dont worry bud...we all went through it. You should do a search on my post about 2 months ago. I had a nasty brown algae and/or cyano outbreak in my 20h as well. I waited it out, just like everyone told me to do. Stayed on top of my water changes, fed once every 4 or 5 days...it was all gone in 1 week. After that, i ordered chemi clean, dropped a scoop in...and my sandbed has been snow white since. And i also have rocks against my glass, on both sides and nothing bad is going on over there either. Its just a process, dont worry about it.

Thanks to all of the advices and feedbacks... the brown algae starting to disappear. I will wait till the weekend and start introducing a Green Chromis or other fish..

In the meantime, Skimmer is on hold.. sustaining nutrients to keep the snails alive... they are doing a great job on the algae.

After going through the algae break (and thanks to all those responded and your support), I finally obtain few fish for my tank.. Hooray!!

Two small Green Chromis and they are having a great time in the tank... notice the algae is fully under control by the armies of snails...

Your fish are going to die! You should have bought a 100gallon tank and your fish are aware or this. Now they are pissed and they arent going to eat your silly food. Nice pictures. I think you should buy the most expensive corals you can find a they will live the best lives in a small tank.

Remember, feed your corals lots of bread soaked in urine, and they might outlive even you.

Great tank Art, and i was just joking about your fish being angry. They love you already.

Josh

Originally posted by JTMoney

Your fish are going to die! You should have bought a 100gallon tank and your fish are aware or this. Now they are pissed and they arent going to eat your silly food. Nice pictures. I think you should buy the most expensive corals you can find a they will live the best lives in a small tank.  

Remember, feed your corals lots of bread soaked in urine, and they might outlive even you.

Great tank Art, and i was just joking about your fish being angry. They love you already.

Josh

Thanks Josh...

I really like your fish feeding techniques :P

should I use white of wheat bread?

nice tank, but not to rain on your parade, but what type of rock did you buy and from where? looks like dead, bleached coral attached to some rock.........

Originally posted by digitallinx

nice tank, but not to rain on your parade, but what type of rock did you buy and from where? looks like dead, bleached coral attached to some rock.........

Hello there... I blame my poor photography and incorrect usage of the flash... I will retake the picture again... But I am encountering few problems....

1. After 4-6 hours in the tank it finally opened up. Is it supposed to stay open? I noticed it shrink to a very small bulb size during the night.

2. What additives / amount should I use in the tank? Iodine? Calcium?

3. How do I know if I have too much lighting for the mushroom?

thx

Art

I am in heaven!!

I met up with a local reefer and he give me lots of advice and few frags to start my tank! Thanks Jim!!

These corals are totally florescent and come alive with the night light…

I Love this hobby!!

• 2 weeks later...

Artc,

I see that your setup has an aquac remora. Just wondering what happened to the old one? Did you get a new one or are you using the one i sold you?

Originally posted by reefguy01

Artc,

I see that your setup has an aquac remora. Just wondering what happened to the old one? Did you get a new one or are you using the one i sold you?

Heang,

Thanks for noticing the new remora skimmer I purchased from a local store -> after I paid another $120 and traded in the $120 broken Remora skimmer I recieved from you. The most expensive Remora skimmer EVER PAID! $240!!!

Art

Originally posted by pos_user

nice zoos...i have those same yellow zoos. They pop like crazy under actinics.

Thanks pos_user..

I just put them in almost two weeks ago... They are beautiful under the night light...

Send me pictures of your Zoo.... HOw do you take care of them?

thx

Art

I'll send some pics tonight. I take care of them by keeping them in the water :) :) And making sure my hermits and snails dont knock them over since they are on a small rock the size of a quarter.

I also use marine snow twice a week, and with regular feedings...they pick up a good amount of food. Light is their primary resource though.

Archived