ReefCleaners.org

My New Tank -> addicted to Nano

artc

After following many threads on this site for the past two months (great feedbacks from the experts), I finally cave in and decided to start my Nano Reef tank!!

Basic configuration:

20G tank

40+ lb of Live Sand (not sure what kind of live sand I have)

40-50 lb of live rocks (can we say -> TOO MUCH)? ļ

300 W pro-heat IC Titanium heater

AquaC Remora w/ Maxi-jet 1200

Whisper HOB 20 g filter -> soon to be removed -> too noisy..

2x65W Coralife LUNAR Aqualight

Plenum filtration -> http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Aquarium_Setup.html

Here come the pictures

i would take it down to many 2 or 3 inches, it will not et sturred up with it htat dep and not really filter but for the first 2 inches

I was hoping for the cloud clears before putting in the Live rocks; however, I ran out of places to put my live rocks and had to insert my rocks before the cloud is settled...

Are there any harm by inserting the Live Rocks while the mist of sand is still floating around?

thx

Art

That flow pattern will eliminate dead spots, but it won't be very random. Some corals won't be happy with a constant flow in one direction. That pattern seems to have a circular flow to it. Maybe a smaller PH aimed at the 3-way? This would create random current patterns

you can NEVER have to much live rock. Sand on the other hand..yeah thats a bit much, 2-3" would be alot better.

As far as the flow pattern, power sweeps SUCK. your better off getting a wave maker and two or more smaller powerheads.

or hell wait for the new oceans motion nano version!

other then that looks real good...post some more pics when it settles out!

That's a great looking setup u have. Don't worry about the cloudy water and LR mixture. It'll clear up and settle.

As for the flow pattern, I would recommend that there be more or less flow all around the tank. No dead spots in the tank.

BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean having constant flow in a circular motion. What I did was have 2 powerheads, one aimed behind and a little a the LRs in my tank and the other aimed slightly towards the water surface. Surprisingly, I've got pretty good flow in my tank.

You just have to see which way works best for your. :)

Vash_The_Stampede

I'm no expert, but I don't think you have the right kind of sand for a plenum system. The sand grains should be in the range of 2-4mm in size. I would bet that a good portion of that sand went through into the plenum. Eather you go with a plenum system with a depth of 4" and aragonite sand, a deep sand bed of finer sand and around 4-6" (not something I would want to do with a nano, takes up too much room IMO), or a shallow bed with a mix of fine sand and aragonite sand at around 1-3". Just my two-cents though.

The cloud has finally cleared a bit (not completely) -> is there something wrong with my sand or setup?

What do you guys think about the rocks layout? Improvements?

Originally posted by Vash_The_Stampede

I'm no expert, but I don't think you have the right kind of sand for a plenum system.  The sand grains should be in the range of 2-4mm in size.  I would bet that a good portion of that sand went through into the plenum.  Eather you go with a plenum system with a depth of 4" and aragonite sand, a deep sand bed of finer sand and around 4-6" (not something I would want to do with a nano, takes up too much room IMO), or a shallow bed with a mix of fine sand and aragonite sand at around 1-3".  Just my two-cents though.

Ahhh.... good point... I just got the sand without checking the size.. Oh well. I think it's probably too much work to take it out now. I don't think it will hurt to leave it in there. true?

thanks for the feedbacks.. any suggestions on the placement of the powerheads?

thx

Art

I finally set up my 20g tank and trying to figure out the types of coral I can have...

I have 65W 10K + 65W Actinic...

Planning to use a Maxijet 1200 + Maxijet 900 and a Maxijet 600 to cover the random flow (Using the Natural Wavemaker device)..

Please let me know your recommendation on the types of corals I will be able to raise successfully in this tank environment..

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, can't answer your last question because I'm still new to the hobby myself, but if I may make a small suggestion...

I think it'll be difficult to clean the sides of the tank if the rock is leaning against the glass. I'm just starting one myself after roughly four months of research, and it seems as if people who have started any saltwater tank and leaned the rocks against the glass, eventually move them closer towards the center to give enough room for a magnetic cleaner to maneuver along the sides and the front, but not so much the back. Just a thought.

Wolf

the brown on the rock is diatom algae. perfectly normal phase of a new tank cycle. It'll eventually turn the sand brown too. Yuor clean-up crew should be able to take care of it all. just let it run its course

Originally posted by Wolf

Sorry, can't answer your last question because I'm still new to the hobby myself, but if I may make a small suggestion...

I think it'll be difficult to clean the sides of the tank if the rock is leaning against the glass.  I'm just starting one myself after roughly four months of research, and it seems as if people who have started any saltwater tank and leaned the rocks against the glass, eventually move them closer towards the center to give enough room for a magnetic cleaner to maneuver along the sides and the front, but not so much the back.  Just a thought.

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the good advice.

I will move the rocks aways from the side.

Art

Originally posted by Turk

the brown on the rock is diatom algae. perfectly normal phase of a new tank cycle. It'll eventually turn the sand brown too. Yuor clean-up crew should be able to take care of it all. just let it run its course

Hi Turk,

I assume this is a good time to introduce cleaning crew?

Turbo snails? Crabs?

Thx

Art

Archived