Top Shelf Aquatics

Shark's pico 4 gallon

shark565

May be it is ,because I am playing with my exposure. I don't know how to make the photo to look exacly as I see it right now.

I'm guessing it's not just the exposure. However, I believe you that it looks more evenly spread out in person. I'm just saying that the camera is probably picking up the real differences in the intensity.

What about the coral ?

It's cool. I like Duncans. It's not fully inflated, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is not fully enflated because the photo was made minutes after it closed its mouth. Can the light be too much for it? It is in the most lighted zone of the tank. Should I move it? In person the light looks more spread. If I manage to find some zoas and mushrooms it is going to be awesome.

Today, I made a quick stocking plan and coral placement plan. I want to keep an active left over food scavenger. Can i keep boxer shrimp or white banded cleaner shrimp? I really want the whole back pane of the tank with gsp.Instead of a birdnest may be frogspawn. What do you think?Here is what i drew:

2015-01-15211837_zps22a05e3a.jpg

reefernanoman

Today, I made a quick stocking plan and coral placement plan. I want to keep an active left over food scavenger. Can i keep boxer shrimp or white banded cleaner shrimp? I really want the whole back pane of the tank with gsp.Instead of a birdnest may be frogspawn. What do you think?Here is what i drew:

2015-01-15211837_zps22a05e3a.jpg

GSP covering the back wall is what I'm doing too! Everything else looks good to me.

If you compare the two pictures, sure it looks happier now.

I'll stick with my original recommendation.

I wouldn't mess with it; let it be for awhile. I wouldn't even feed it again until next week.

Yesterday I bought a trumpet and I received a gift - some red mushrooms. Next, I am thinking about a euphiliya and the maxi mini. I am a bit concerned about the maxi mini killing my corals, but I am going to watch it closely after I put it in the tank. How much time untill it is settled? How much time untill I can get my first birdnest and montipora( untill my tank is mature)?

Here is a photo:

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Suit565/media/2015-01-20191246_zps1f24e974.jpg.html'>2015-01-20191246_zps1f24e974.jpg

If you put your mini carpet anemone in a place that it likes, it might not ever move. However sometimes, if conditions change, it might decide to move (even after staying in the same spot for a long time). I'd say that if it stays in the same place for a week, then it will probably end up staying there.

I'd probably wait 6 months before adding the SPS.

I found a very good offer for a birdsnest coral and six months are a lot of time. Can i speed up the process of maturing someway? I heard birdsnest are very hardy , should I buy it or miss the offer?

The six months is also for you to get used to your tank, doing maintenance, checking the parameters, and dealing with problems (such as algae, Cyano, pests, etc). You seem to be in a hurry; I get it, we all were. Just trying to give you some advice, which you can take as you wish.

On Friday, I am receiving my maxi mini and my electric green torch finnaly. I am tottaly in love with both of the species and can't wait to get them. These should be the last of the corals for the next mounths. Now I am thinking where should I place them. When I got my trumpet it was with three heads and today I realised that they were already splitting when I got it, soon they are going to be five. How long does it going to take for my duncan to make a new head? It looks kind of lonely :D . What do you think will be the best spot for the torch?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys, It has been a while since i wrote here,but i had been busy these weeks. The tank is okay, beside the red slime algae invasion. I managed to frag the maxi mini and the mushrooms. Now I have 5 mushrooms and 2 maxi minis. The trumpet coral looked bad few days ago, but i moved it under lower flow and light and now it looks better. I really hate my sand right now and I want to remove it. My plan was to remove all living creatures in a bucket with tank water and the rocks and then to siphon the water. After that, I am going to remove the sand fill the tank back with the water and add the corals and the snail. Can I do that or the risk isn't worth it?

I really hate my sand right now and I want to remove it. My plan was to remove all living creatures in a bucket with tank water and the rocks and then to siphon the water. After that, I am going to remove the sand fill the tank back with the water and add the corals and the snail. Can I do that or the risk isn't worth it?

Make a bunch of extra new saltwater (you'll lose more than you think you will). Don't disturb the sand bed until you have removed all of the water that you plan on saving (once you disturb the sand, you will have to discard the remaining water).

Remember this?

Don't purchase anything while you are battling an issue/problem. Wait until it's resolved and everything is stable before buying more livestock (except for maybe a few snails as part of a cleanup crew).

Get everything under control before you buy or frag anything else.

I removed the sand and experimented a little with the rocks again. Tomorrow, I am going to upload some photos. I wanted to have a cave for my trumpet coral,because it seems to thrive only in places like this. I placed the mushrooms on the bottom and covered them with a guppy breeder until they attach.

61EA62AF-0F92-4E41-A5D1-A78217BF4472_zps

Here is the picture ,i don't think my corals are in best shape they look a little closed.Can the flow or the light or both be too much? Should I move them or to remove the pump that is making more flow may be?

61EA62AF-0F92-4E41-A5D1-A78217BF4472_zps

Here is the picture ,i don't think my corals are in best shape they look a little closed.Can the flow or the light or both be too much? Should I move them or to remove the pump that is making more flow may be?

In my experience, corals do better the less I mess with them. Leave them be and focus on keeping the parameters stable by frequent water changes and good husbandry.

I did what you said and I just fed them once. My trumpet is getting back in shape and everything seems fine. Here is a pic:

EED8C485-5FB7-4108-9F54-1A6FE2A54729_zps

Sorry for double posting, but my parents came back from Turkey and they brought me a big Zoa colony. I acclimatized them and put them in the tank. The lightning was already off and I took a photo of them with my cellphone to see them. I noticed small white spots and I am very concerned. I heard of Zoa pox and Zoa eating nudibranches . Can you tell me what to do?
Here is a picture:
902D6A4E-2B6D-451A-9807-6B39FACB217A_zps

Hard to say, can't tell what they are for sure. You could try a dip; it's not a bad precaution for any new coral.

What should I dip them into? I don't have any medication. I read about a freshwater dip for 10 minutes ,should I do it ?

Archived