Cultivated Reef

SSW's 20 Gallon Long Rimless SPS Reef

Sswsanjay

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay so it's been a while since I've posted.

But finally here is an update on the tank build!

First thing, got the plumbing done!

post-86266-0-96983200-1426172360_thumb.jpg

Here is the inside picture. All plumbing runs through the wooden stand via bulkheads to keep it clean and to keep light from going outside of the stand.

post-86266-0-60511300-1426172352_thumb.jpg

The back on the other hand is as clean as I could make it. This was the best picture I could get without turning the entire stand.

But there are a total of 7 valves to plug up to reactors, and do auto water changes. Unions were also added incase I needed to remove the 20 gallon, or upgrade to a larger tank in the future!

Good thing I placed those unions there because after I finished the plumbing I was running the tank with freshwater and vinegar, and it cracked.

post-86266-0-24333700-1426172369_thumb.jpg

As of now it's been a set back so I haven't worked on it to much. I did just silicone the crack back to the tank and tried running it again which oddly worked. Don't trust it, but really not looking forward to drilling and de rimming another 20 long.

So currently at a standstill on what to do.

Do I continue with grabbing another 20 gallon long and redoing everything with the possibility that it cracks again?

Do I build a custom 20 long with thicker glass?

Or do I build a larger tank that fits properly on top of the stand (57 gallon deep blue rimless fits perfectly)?

Leave some comments on what you guys think I should do!

P.S. Haven't stopped added SPS frags to the 10 gallon, will update on list of corals I now have later once I get some pictures!

a 57 gallon deep blue sounds pretty nice. Going to be a bit pricier but it would save you a lot of time and hassle over building or derimming a 20 long. Could also look at a 40 breeder.

a 57 gallon deep blue sounds pretty nice. Going to be a bit pricier but it would save you a lot of time and hassle over building or derimming a 20 long. Could also look at a 40 breeder.

Damn Sanjay it was looking soooo good until that last pic. Id say go for the Deep Blue 57 ftw!

Was guessing most of you would say the 57. That's what I'm leaning towards also.

Also forgot to mention that I will be adding more lights!

So currently have the one Radion XR30 Gen 3 Pro on top of the 10 gallon, but decided I wanted more of them. So I purchased two more XR30 Gen 3 Pros, and one XR15 freshwater. The current xR30 that's on the 10 gallon will go under the stand and light the frag tank that I'm building next to the Fuge. The xr15 freshwater is for the refugium, and the new two xr30 Gen3 pros will be the main display lighting with the four t5s.

post-86266-0-72584300-1426173845_thumb.jpg

With two on top of the 57 rimless it would make more sense!

Good news!

So I siliconed the crack (yes I know that's probably stupid) but it's hoding fine. Used a ton of silicone and it seems stable for now.

I finished up all the plumbing and basically have the tank completed now! Going to stick with the 20 gallon for a little while I start the new project of building my own custom tank!

Custom tank is going to be 36 wide, 18 deep, 22-24 tall! All starphire glass!

Anyway here's a picture of the 20 long with the rock and saltwater finally in it!

post-86266-0-45419900-1426435733_thumb.jpg

Rock was cycling for 3 months prior to putting it in the tank so it's basically ready to go! But will still take it slow to make sure.

Also added two new wrasses which are in my 10 gallon for now waiting to quarantine and be put into the 20 gallon.

post-86266-0-27470900-1426435813_thumb.jpg

post-86266-0-33148900-1426435804_thumb.jpg

So now just going to work on the lighting fixture and should have that running within the next few days!

Still have to figure out how to mount it to the ceiling!

Thanks for staying updated with the build guys!

Good news!

So I siliconed the crack (yes I know that's probably stupid) but it's hoding fine. Used a ton of silicone and it seems stable for now.

I finished up all the plumbing and basically have the tank completed now! Going to stick with the 20 gallon for a little while I start the new project of building my own custom tank!

Custom tank is going to be 36 wide, 18 deep, 22-24 tall! All starphire glass!

Anyway here's a picture of the 20 long with the rock and saltwater finally in it!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Rock was cycling for 3 months prior to putting it in the tank so it's basically ready to go! But will still take it slow to make sure.

Also added two new wrasses which are in my 10 gallon for now waiting to quarantine and be put into the 20 gallon.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So now just going to work on the lighting fixture and should have that running within the next few days!

Still have to figure out how to mount it to the ceiling!

Thanks for staying updated with the build guys!

Love it! I think im going to copy your design with my next upgrade. Sorry to hear about the 20l but hope it works out well!

Love it! I think im going to copy your design with my next upgrade. Sorry to hear about the 20l but hope it works out well!

Thanks man! No need to be sorry, lots of silicone on the back is holding the crack in place and the tank is running like nothing happened!

Go ahead and copy it! When you're ready let me know if you have any questions or to learn more about the mistakes i made so you don't have to!

• 1 month later...

Well it has been a very long time since i have posted here, been extremely busy with School and work. But just give me a few more days and I will shortly update this post with everything that has happened in the past month and a half!

The tank is looking good thought! Will post updates this coming week!

• 1 month later...

Okay so I started off great with posting everything to this forum then life got busy and I stopped posting.

Want to say sorry for getting everyone who followed excited and then just ending things there. But after a few months of adding to this tank here is a FTS from about 2 weeks ago!

Hope you guys like it!

post-86266-0-30679500-1433821164_thumb.jpg

Picture taken with just iPhone 6 Plus camera

Currently the tank is sitting at about

40 different frags of SPS

20 different Zoa frags

10 acan mini colonies

2 chalice frags

1 ORA Red Goni

3 Bartlett Anthias

2 True Perc Clowns

Not to shabby for a 20 long tank!

Thanks for viewing again!

Will hopefully start adding more posts!

myarmolich

Okay so I started off great with posting everything to this forum then life got busy and I stopped posting.

Want to say sorry for getting everyone who followed excited and then just ending things there. But after a few months of adding to this tank here is a FTS from about 2 weeks ago!

Hope you guys like it!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Picture taken with just iPhone 6 Plus camera

Currently the tank is sitting at about

40 different frags of SPS

20 different Zoa frags

10 acan mini colonies

2 chalice frags

1 ORA Red Goni

3 Bartlett Anthias

2 True Perc Clowns

Not to shabby for a 20 long tank!

Thanks for viewing again!

Will hopefully start adding more posts!

Beautiful

I love the scape.

Thanks, spent most of Christmas Day 2014 building it! Picked through 300 pounds of rock to find 18 pounds to make that shape!

Damn man,looking good. I was wondering how things were going with this thing.

It's been doing well, even after having to move this tank about 30 minutes to another house it's been rocking!

Just got the calcium reactor running because it was sucking up to much part a and b. So everything's doing well!

Will post more close up pictures soon

Archived