Top Shelf Aquatics

SSW's 20 Gallon Long Rimless SPS Reef

Sswsanjay

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so quick update again:

Over the past week or two not much has changed with the tank. Unfortunately still waiting on the acrylic company to finish making my sump, they have taken so long. But I was given a call and it should be done by next Tuesday (hopefully). In the mean time I revived my new skimmer!

Reef Octopus Elite 150INT:

post-86266-0-48654400-1423755234_thumb.jpg

This thing looks Awesome, and feels like a vertex skimmer. All the white parts are made from PVC instead of acrylic so it gives it a much heavier feel, great build quality. Can't wait to get it running to see how it performs! So I'll let you guys know how it really works later on.

Aside from getting the skimmer in, I used "Never Wet" to seal and waterproof the bottom of my stand and I also siliconed the seams of the stand to make sure it was waterproof. If there is a leak in the sump I want my stand to collect the water and then have a leak detection module for the apex hooked up to notify me.

Finally I haven't been able to control myself and even though I don't have the 20 gallon running even, I went out and purchased a lot of coral.

Most of these are wild caught / maricultured colonies so I'm not to sure about the names. Any help on what everyone things they are would be great! All but one are acros. There's a small red digi frag in there if you noticed.

Here is my 10 gallon which has had live rock from a 3 year old system and been running for about 8 months now.

post-86266-0-78146700-1423755467_thumb.jpg

Some type of yellow/gold milli - maricultured

post-86266-0-52766800-1423755521_thumb.jpg

Not sure what this is, was wild caught. Is coloring up to be teal and purple.

post-86266-0-87554600-1423755594_thumb.jpg

This is another maricultured colony, purple with neon green polyps. Possibly tricolor acro?

post-86266-0-12707100-1423755758_thumb.jpg

Believe this is a Blue Tort - maricultured

post-86266-0-95544800-1423755778_thumb.jpg

This is a really cool staghorns, have two pieces of it. It's started to turn fluorescent green with redish polyps! - wild caught. Was just brown when I got it. So it's exciting that it's changing.

post-86266-0-01915700-1423755854_thumb.jpg

This is another milli, looks kind of like a rose milli, but we'll see how it turns out to be. - maricultured

post-86266-0-52471300-1423755871_thumb.jpg

There are a few more wild caught colonies in the background but not sure what they are. If anyone know what any of these actually are please let me know!

Thanks for viewing and keep coming back for more!

If so, that would be cool. If not, still cool. I like the build so far.

From what we talked about last weekend and the pictures he showed me. I'm pretty positive it is. If not like you said,it's still going to be a pretty solid build.

From what we talked about last weekend and the pictures he showed me. I'm pretty positive it is. If not like you said,it's still going to be a pretty solid build.

Whoops... You found my build thread! Thought it would be nice to make one of the new tank!

Whoops... You found my build thread! Thought it would be nice to make one of the new tank!

Hell yeah !! I thought it looked fimilair. Glad you decide to start a thread,I'm looking forward to the progress man.

Now you can see my pooty ass 2 gallon lol also it's Steven btw lol.

Time for another update!

Well since I've been having to wait so long for my acrylic work to get finished to actually get the tank running, I have to satisfy my urge for corals SOOOOOO i've added lots of little frags the past two days!

post-86266-0-86215100-1423977095_thumb.jpg

Left:

There's a PC Rainbow Frag (front left),

Mr. Pacman Acro behind that

Wild Caught Frag from one of the colonies in the back next to the pacman

Neon Green Birdsnest in the background (Far left back),

Some blue/purple acro next to the PC Rainbow

Pink Lemonade Frag next to the blue/purple acro

ORA Red/Orange Digi behind the Pink Lemonade

Wild Caught Frag (no idea what its going to look like yet) next to the digi in the back

Rainbow Milli in front of that

ORA Frogskin next to the milli

Neon Green Psammocora behind the Frogskin

A Green/Yellow acro next to the Psammocora

And TSA's Aussie Green Tabling Acro (Front Right)

Right:

Theres going to be so much in this 20 gallon so fast! It's going to be great!!

Got tired of all my SPS getting covered in sand during the night so I built a egg crate pedestal for them to sit on!

post-86266-0-79421800-1424190991_thumb.jpg

So much better!

And here's a couple more shots of the tricolor Acro and A top view of one of the millis.

Just playing around with the iPhone 6 Plus camera to see what it can do.

If anyone know how to get really good photos with iPhones PLEASE LET ME KNOW! SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

post-86266-0-81099800-1424191055_thumb.jpg

post-86266-0-39147800-1424191071_thumb.jpg

In a quick update:

My sump and the rest of the acrylic parts are supposed to be ready today, got an email for the company saying they will be done. So hopefully it gets into my LFS today!

So hoping to show more pictures of the inside of the stand with the acrylic work by tonight!!

Looking killer man !!! That tricolor is nice as hell. I was in the store Sunday,and I guess you were off. I did grab a Mr.Pacman though lol. So I take it you're having the stuff sent to the shop then ?

Honestly,with iPhones its hard to shoot under leds. You'll just have to have a lot of whites on and add blues until you get a good mixture to get somewhAt of a decent shot. I always had a hard time shooting pics when I had my leds.. It was a pain. I use a no-name macro lens too with a filter to get good colors and close up whenever I take pics.

I need to get a piece of that tricolor you guys have,I look at it Everytime but never get it lol. Not bad for $15.

Got some of the acrylic parts in!

No sump though, they did say it will be here this upcoming Tuesday.

But the overflow box came. So the tank is now drilled and bulkheads are in place!

post-86266-0-80174200-1424304689_thumb.jpg

post-86266-0-42958500-1424304700_thumb.jpg

The overflow box has a built in baffle to allow for a full siphon effect and to allow for the box to be as thin as possible, the box is 1.4" which is thinner than a ghost overflow, hopefully I can get it working properly but probably will have to do some tweaking on this prototype.

Also painted the back black

post-86266-0-11840900-1424304711_thumb.jpg

And here is the inside view

post-86266-0-80724400-1424304729_thumb.jpg

And full shot

post-86266-0-61054500-1424304721_thumb.jpg

From the front you can't even tell there's an overflow box in the tank!

Very nice. I always love the way the black background tanks end up looking filled with sps.

Me too! Can't wait!

That is amazing looking!! Great work. Are you worried about a fish getting sucked in though?

Thanks! Not to worried, the plan is to keep two clownfish and the rest wrasses that are small, but larger than most nano fish. So I don't plan to have problems with them going through the overflow. Also there will be a lid for the overflow box and I'll make a lid for the tank itself to keep on while I'm away to avoid jumpers.

Damn Sanjay,looking tip top man. I can't wait to see this thing started. It's going to be kick ass.

Thanks bud! it's coming along nicely! Just need the sump to arrive an I'm ready to go!

Got some of the acrylic parts in!

No sump though, they did say it will be here this upcoming Tuesday.

But the overflow box came. So the tank is now drilled and bulkheads are in place!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The overflow box has a built in baffle to allow for a full siphon effect and to allow for the box to be as thin as possible, the box is 1.4" which is thinner than a ghost overflow, hopefully I can get it working properly but probably will have to do some tweaking on this prototype.

Also painted the back black

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And here is the inside view

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And full shot

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

From the front you can't even tell there's an overflow box in the tank!

Thats an awesome overflow! where did you get it?

So I may be stealing the design for those doors. Originally I was planning on using magnets and just holding the panel in place but I think this looks great and easier to do.

Thats an awesome overflow! where did you get it?

Custom designed and built! Don't know for sure if it works but if the theory is correct it should be a problem!

Will update about the overflow once I get the sump and plumbing completed.

So I may be stealing the design for those doors. Originally I was planning on using magnets and just holding the panel in place but I think this looks great and easier to do.

Go for it! It's a simple and nice stand design!

Looking good!

Thanks!

All the acrylic work is done!

Front of Sump:

post-86266-0-03616200-1424886332_thumb.jpg

Back of Sump:

post-86266-0-41235100-1424886359_thumb.jpg

With Skimmer and Socks:

post-86266-0-84006100-1424886386_thumb.jpg

Under Stand:

post-86266-0-34299200-1424886414_thumb.jpg

post-86266-0-75234800-1424886432_thumb.jpg

Now time for plumbing so I can get this up and running soon!

Plan to have the tank running with water by this weekend. But we'll see what comes up!

Today's goal is to get all the material I need to begin plumbing (bulkheads, unions, 90s, 45s, gate valves the whole works)

Will continue to update with pictures as I progress!

Thanks to all who have been following along, it's been a long run but it's finally coming together nicely!

Archived