inTank Media Baskets

IM Fusion 30L, now rimless + sumped - AIO = awesome 4/11/15

Chief Reefer

What light is that? Looks to give you great coverage. I was going to suggest running two AI Nano's but this looks really good!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

It's an ATI T-5 4 bulb dimmable sunpower. I wanted to do LED, but the options are limited if you want good spread - also didn't want to shell out the money for 2 expensive fixtures. I have used t-5 before with great results, and now dimming is available. Couldn't ask for better spread, and should be able to do any type of coral with it too (156 watts total). Tank temp stays at 78 with all my pumps on too

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

It's an ATI T-5 4 bulb dimmable sunpower. I wanted to do LED, but the options are limited if you want good spread - also didn't want to shell out the money for 2 expensive fixtures. I have used t-5 before with great results, and now dimming is available. Couldn't ask for better spread, and should be able to do any type of coral with it too (156 watts total). Tank temp stays at 78 with all my pumps on too

Wow- Ya for sure that light will grow anything!! I didn't know the T5's could be dimmed. I also really like the hybrid LED/T5 combos- best of both world. I'll be following along on your thread?

Tested P04 at .24 ppm day before yesterday - yikes.

Did a 5 gal water change and added 2 Tbs GFO to my reactor. Will be testing P04 later today, hopefully back to a more acceptable range.

In other news, my cardinal committed suicide via MP10 :(

Success - P04 levels have been decreased!

Tested 2x - first reading was .06ppm, second was .02ppm. Taking the average seems to be the norm - happy sitting at .04. Its always fun when things work out ;)

However, what is up with the P04 Hanna meter and having to dump a tiny package of dust into a tiny vial opening....This is hard to do. Any tips? Special way to cut the little package so that it funnels down into the vial? I only spilled half the solution on my best attempt, which im sure is causing my readings to be inacurate lol:

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/jauld2/media/IMG_5223_zps8a934af7.jpg.html'>IMG_5223_zps8a934af7.jpg

Couple new pickups - Poison Fang Striped Blenny and my first ever Acro frag! Exciting stuff!

IMG_5267_zps227cdf03.jpg

Acro frag - Dont know much about it, but it looks happy. PE looks good. Starting him out on the sandbed for a week or 2.

IMG_5263_zpsac66c669.jpg

Also, a green birdsnest frag

IMG_5261_zps15d35f7e.jpg

Encrusting monti - starting to grow onto the rocks, and I can see a few points on it where it might be starting to sprout some arms :)

IMG_5260_zps5a1ae38c.jpg

Some green algae starting to spread through a couple rocks. Not sure what type it is - doesnt look like hair algae. Any ideas?

IMG_5265_zps93338d56.jpg

Finally, FTS

IMG_5262_zps3e476214.jpg

Really loving this tank.

Thanks for looking!

Ah also ordered a CUC from reefcleaners.org today. Figured the tank could use a refresh - the only snails I had were moved from a 10 gal AIO with a 5 gal display....so they could definitely use some help.

Ah also ordered a CUC from reefcleaners.org today. Figured the tank could use a refresh - the only snails I had were moved from a 10 gal AIO with a 5 gal display....so they could definitely use some help.

Nice...what did you all get for your CUC? I am planning mine out even though I'm weeks away. Also how do you like your IM spinstreams? I have read they can be noisy..but they look good in the videos I have watched.

However, what is up with the P04 Hanna meter and having to dump a tiny package of dust into a tiny vial opening....This is hard to do. Any tips? Special way to cut the little package so that it funnels down into the vial? I only spilled half the solution on my best attempt, which im sure is causing my readings to be inacurate lol:

Yeah the best way to do it is to shake it a little so the powder settles into a corner of the pouch, them cut off the -two- sides of the packet opposite the corner of the collected powder. Then fold the open packet creating a little slide (which should come to a point since you cut two sides) and slide the contents in without an issue :)

I found this out watching one of Hanah's videos and it's made getting the powder into the vile wicked easy. Hope my explanation made sense

Nice...what did you all get for your CUC? I am planning mine out even though I'm weeks away. Also how do you like your IM spinstreams? I have read they can be noisy..but they look good in the videos I have watched.

I just went with one of his premade packages (because of the free shipping) - I will get crabs and smaller stuff locally. Here is what I ordered though:

30 gallon kit:

28 dwarf ceriths - this isnt my first time ordering from reefcleaners, and if its anything like the first orders, there will be a lot more than 28 of these guys haha

11 nassarius

12 florida ceriths

11 nerites

Reefcleaners.org is awesome, highly recommended for cuc.

Yeah the best way to do it is to shake it a little so the powder settles into a corner of the pouch, them cut off the -two- sides of the packet opposite the corner of the collected powder. Then fold the open packet creating a little slide (which should come to a point since you cut two sides) and slide the contents in without an issue :)

I found this out watching one of Hanah's videos and it's made getting the powder into the vile wicked easy. Hope my explanation made sense

Thanks man, definitely going to give this a shot.

Having some issues with an Acro frag I bought on 1/24:

IMG_5263_zps18a6abee.jpg

Started it out on the sand bed - lived there for over a week - looked great, good PE. I then moved it to middle of the tank (height wise) on Saturday 1/31. Today I just checked on it at lunch, and here is what I found:

IMG_5310_zps3df068bd.jpg

As you can see, its whiting out from the plug up. I moved it back to the sand bed, and tested phos and nitrate - phos was 0ppm (hanna), nitrate was 2-5ppm (salifert). Its currently under a 4x39 watt ATI dimmable t-5 running at 50%(max) for about 8 hours per day.

Anything else I should test for? Here is what else I changed in that time frame:

Added poison fang blenny

Added RBTA (1/31)

Added Open brain (1/31)

Took out all IM sponges (1/29ish)

2x5 gal water changes (most recent 1/29)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think I figured out what happened to my Acro frag - see exhibit a

Exhibit A:

As you can see, a perfectly healthy Acro frag, polyps nice and extended, is being eaten by an Ocellaris clown fish.

The frag is toast, just completely white out before I post this. However, the clown is at the LFS, hopefully going to a new fish only environment.

grrr!

I think I figured out what happened to my Acro frag - see exhibit a

Exhibit A:

As you can see, a perfectly healthy Acro frag, polyps nice and extended, is being eaten by an Ocellaris clown fish.

The frag is toast, just completely white out before I post this. However, the clown is at the LFS, hopefully going to a new fish only environment.

grrr!

Whaaaat? Wow- I wouldn't of believed it - I have 2 clowns in my sps tank and they are model citizens. Anyway food got stuck in the Acro and caused the clown to start nipping at it. Can't say I've ever heard of this

• 1 month later...
Chief Reefer

Whaaaat? Wow- I wouldn't of believed it - I have 2 clowns in my sps tank and they are model citizens. Anyway food got stuck in the Acro and caused the clown to start nipping at it. Can't say I've ever heard of this

Yes, this same clown actually ate a mangrove i had in my previous display....sawed the thing right in half. Pretty impressive actually haha. Should have taken that as a sign.

Quick update on the tank:

New FTS:

100_7660_zpsa9go4is1.jpg

New additions:

ORA Green Planet

ORA Mint Pavona

ORA Derasa clam (was a steal at $25)

Big feather duster

x2 Barnacle Blenny

x1 Royal Gramma

100_7667_zps8gjoh7hy.jpg

Bridsnest frag starting to show some decent growth. Im excited :)

100_7666_zpsbf7kc7mw.jpg

RBTA <3

100_7664_zps8u7e5naq.jpg

Some type of metallic brain coral. Not sure what it is exactly, always forget the names.

100_7668_zpsg7kqrg4z.jpg

cam skills still need work. getting there tho

100_7669_zpsphigz3n8.jpg

Finally, my Barnacle blenny. So much personality with these little guys. I bought a barnacle and placed it front and center - took about 2 days, but one of them is already inside. They are a bit of a grumpy fish, but they never really leave the barnacle unless for food.

100_7673_zpsssgyvgyb.jpg

100_7671_zpssoaif3jv.jpg

100_7672_zpsznsgomvu.jpg

Been reading a lot about carbon dosing. May give it a shot. Thoughts and experiences?

Chief Reefer

How do you like the light ? Been debating going back to T5 from LED.

Beat me to it, I'm also curious

So far I love the light. Spread is perfect for this tank. The controller is basic, but works - much better than the AI knob controller that I used to have. I run the light at 50% max for only about an hour a day. It ramps up and down just like the LED units. No thunder storms anymore, but I was barely ever there to see one happen anyways. I have no issues with temp either, my tank has been 78 since the day I set it up thanks to my Aquacontroller (no chiller).

As far as growth, here is really the only comparison I have:

1/22/15

IMG_5227_zpsecnz7faf.png

3/8 or 3/9

100_7666_zpscsqjkybh.jpg

Horrible photo, but you can see the growth.

The only thing im second guessing right now is I should have bought the 6 bulb fixture....I want to tear the AIO out and run a sump so badly. I might be more addicted to upgrading and changing my equipment on the tank, rather than whats living inside haha. Also, its hard as hell to get an accurate picture of the color - none of the photos I have posted really look like what the tank looks like in person.

Nice tank! Love those sliding doors you have on your stand.

Thank you! Gotta be honest here and say that I mounted the doors that way because I didnt know how to make traditional doors lol. This worked out really well though, and everyone who comes over to see the tank is always like "whoa" when I slide the doors open ;)

StrainedSky

The only thing im second guessing right now is I should have bought the 6 bulb fixture....I want to tear the AIO out and run a sump so badly. I might be more addicted to upgrading and changing my equipment on the tank, rather than whats living inside haha. Also, its hard as hell to get an accurate picture of the color - none of the photos I have posted really look like what the tank looks like in person.

Does the 4 not cover completely or is it because your thinking of pulling the chambers out ? I'm thinking of buying the 4 bulb power module.

Chief Reefer

Does the 4 not cover completely or is it because your thinking of pulling the chambers out ? I'm thinking of buying the 4 bulb power module.

You are correct. The 4 blub is a perfect fit over the display section of the tank.

I wish I went with the 6 because I will definitely eventually be sumping this tank. Even so, the 4 is probably much more than enough.

Are you talking about the new LED powermodule? That thing is sick, but too rich for my blood. Nano-box ATI retro is much more affordable, and not to mention sexy AF.

StrainedSky

You are correct. The 4 blub is a perfect fit over the display section of the tank.

I wish I went with the 6 because I will definitely eventually be sumping this tank. Even so, the 4 is probably much more than enough.

Are you talking about the new LED powermodule? That thing is sick, but too rich for my blood. Nano-box ATI retro is much more affordable, and not to mention sexy AF.

Awesome, good to know :-) No Im talking the the T5 power module,some places still have one or two.

Steensj2004

Love your tank! Can't go wrong with a sump. I tried the AIO thing last time, couldn't stand it. Nothing wrong with AIO, I just cannot do without a sump and the equipment and organization a sump affords! I considered a 30L and an overflow box, but then I found the 34 shallow I have now.

Chief Reefer

Wanted to share another growth photo with better angles. Really stoaked about this!

Left was taken 1/22/15, right today 3/15/15

CD17F8C1-5CC3-474E-9B1A-C6CB25FE030B_zps

Chief Reefer

Alright so I placed/am placing a few orders today.

Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 Skimmer

eshopps r-100 sump

MAME Design overflow with silencer cap

:D

Steensj2004

Alright so I placed/am placing a few orders today.

Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 Skimmer

eshopps r-100 sump

MAME Design overflow with silencer cap

:D

omgomgomg that is going to be LEGIT! I have found, or at least IMHO, the skimmers and other equipment you can sling into a sump is better.

Chief Reefer

omgomgomg that is going to be LEGIT! I have found, or at least IMHO, the skimmers and other equipment you can sling into a sump is better.

thanks man. Im excited.

MAME ordered and I have the skimmer already. Trying to figure out my sump - damn things get expensive quick.

Talking with advanced acrylics now to see about a custom diamond series sump. we'll see though!

Oh and I went to a frag swap yesterday. Picked up 5 things - dragons breath, 2 acans, ora red planet and another stick, gotta find the name.

Archived