Pod Your Reef

Here goes another 10 gallon NUVO Fusion...

davidncbrown

Nice looking tank my friend!!! Our builds are almost identical! I'll be following along! I'm excited to see your progress as your tank comes together!!! Give us a thorough review of the Kessil if you wouldn't mind! :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok everyone wants a review of the Kessil.... I don't feel like it's fair to review it yet until I get some corals in my tank. I will say that it's lightweight, compact, the fan seems near silent, and bright as hell! I know once I get some water in the tank, the light won't spill so much out of the side, but right now it's super bright. It looks like I will be able to grow just about anything under it. I never owned a A150 so I can't compare the brightness to it.

The intensity knob seems to adjust brightness without sacrificing the color temperature that I've dialed in. The color temperature knob works well and I can already tell one or two levels that I may want to keep it at. We will have to see once we get some stuff in the tank. I have thought about getting the controller, but at this time I don't think its absolutely necessary. I think that just putting the light on the timer will suffice for now. Hopefully next weekend I can get some water, sand, and LR in the tank!

StevieT's media basket is arriving tomorrow and I should have a Tunze nano ATO arriving within the week. The bottom section of the stand will house a 5 gallon jug of RODI water, the upper shelf will hold two part as well as some supplements and fish food.

Well I ordered some Swedish fish from InTank and was disappointed when I received a media basket and a sticker in the box instead! StevieT what is this bait and switch madness!?

So the stand is built and the tank is wet! My LFS is awesome and has their live rock plumbed into their 2000+ gallon system so it's all cycled already. I put some in last night along with some sand. Pictures will be coming soon!

Ok here's the first FTS!20141221_135100_zpson9ptifg.jpg

Tunze nano topoff and 5 gallons of DI water down below

20141221_132914_zpsvsayog1h.jpg

Upper shelf housing the aqua doser and the power strip. I'm rinsing the aqua doser with warm water right now since I used to use it in my 75 gallon

20141221_132907_zpshccgtjac.jpg

And lastly a side shot of the tank. We will be mostly looking at the tank from this angle so there is lots of swimming space. The pieces in the front I'm going to grow GSP on

20141221_135109_zpsieoxtoec.jpg

Looks nice! What corals do you have in there so far?

Thanks! Just some misc zoas. I *think* purple hornets, green bay packers, stardust and some others.... I'll take better pictures over the holidays.

BTW, how is your skimmer doing? Is it still producing micro bubbles? Mine definitely is... And oddly enough I can open my air valve completely with no ill effect...

Thanks! Just some misc zoas. I *think* purple hornets, green bay packers, stardust and some others.... I'll take better pictures over the holidays.

BTW, how is your skimmer doing? Is it still producing micro bubbles? Mine definitely is... And oddly enough I can open my air valve completely with no ill effect...

I had the skimmer on my Fusion 20, it took a week or so before the bubbles went away but once they did it was great!

I had the skimmer on my Fusion 20, it took a week or so before the bubbles went away but once they did it was great!

That's good to hear. My skimmer is barely skimming anything out of the tank. The water is pretty damn clean so far!

Same here. Same old microbubbles, not much skimmate. I get some foam if I open up the valve a lot, but then I just get a very weak skimmate in the cup. I've tried a vinegar bath twice now.

Maybe my tank is just too clean :)

Sweet build! Love the stand and you definitely seem to be well equipped. Are you going the SPS/LPS tank? With those dosers and the light you don't have any excuses!

I'm really confused with these darn skimmers. It seems they either work or dont. I have a Fusion 20 also and my skimmers been up for 4? Months and it still pulls barely any skim. I really don't know if its the skimmer that's broken or my tank is just that clean -.-
Same here. Same old microbubbles, not much skimmate. I get some foam if I open up the valve a lot, but then I just get a very weak skimmate in the cup. I've tried a vinegar bath twice now.

Maybe my tank is just too clean :)

Well I've got some diatom algae on some of my live rock, but still no measurable nutrient levels. The skimmer has pretty much stopped the micro bubbles and is nonow producing skimmate. There's not a lot of it, but it's pretty dry. I have the air valve open pretty far and the cup down around half way.

Sweet build! Love the stand and you definitely seem to be well equipped. Are you going the SPS/LPS tank? With those dosers and the light you don't have any excuses!

I'm really confused with these darn skimmers. It seems they either work or dont. I have a Fusion 20 also and my skimmers been up for 4? Months and it still pulls barely any skim. I really don't know if its the skimmer that's broken or my tank is just that clean -.-

I'm actually planning on kkeeping it pretty easy, but we'll see how it goes. Just softies and a couple SPS from my 75 gallon for now. I would love to get a maxi mini nem and I think this light would definitely satisfy it. I've always wanted some gorgonians too...

Tank looks nice. Were the blues on your Kessil keyed up in the last pics or is the Kessil really blue? I'm going to/with a NanoBox Tide on my IM 10, but I do love the look of the Kessil units.

Are you using the stock return pump on your tank? Ugh, I'm finding mine practically as bad as the stock media basket :lol:

Tank looks nice. Were the blues on your Kessil keyed up in the last pics or is the Kessil really blue? I'm going to/with a NanoBox Tide on my IM 10, but I do love the look of the Kessil units.

Are you using the stock return pump on your tank? Ugh, I'm finding mine practically as bad as the stock media basket :lol:

The pics were taken with my galaxy s5 and I didn't adjust for white balance. I keep the kessil set at full intensity with barely any whites on. I like my tanks fairly blue though so that the corals pop. If I had one gripe abut the kessil it would be that I wish the blues were stronger so I could turn up the whites and not loose the fluorescence so much.

I am using the stock power head for now. I find that with any more flow into the rear chamber too much water would bypass my intank media basket. The majority of the flow in my tank comes from my mp10 on lagoon mode. ;-)

The pics were taken with my galaxy s5 and I didn't adjust for white balance. I keep the kessil set at full intensity with barely any whites on. I like my tanks fairly blue though so that the corals pop. If I had one gripe abut the kessil it would be that I wish the blues were stronger so I could turn up the whites and not loose the fluorescence so much. I am using the stock power head for now. I find that with any more flow into the rear chamber too much water would bypass my intank media basket. The majority of the flow in my tank comes from my mp10 on lagoon mode. ;-)

Nice. Yea, I love watching the corals and nems fluoresce when my blues are up in the evening. I'm doing the same as you--stock pump, Vortech, InTank media basket :lol:

Alright here a current FTS with more realistic white balance. I had a small diatom bloom that has been going away over the last couple days.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2017.58.36_zpsgif95uvq.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2017.58.36_zpsgif95uvq.jpg

My skimmer is finally pulling some decent skimmate out of the tank!

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.05.53_zpse6h5yttc.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.05.53_zpse6h5yttc.jpg

Don't know what zoa's these are. Anybody?

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.04.52_zpsualc53gn.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.04.52_zpsualc53gn.jpg

Other cool zoa's currently in the system as John Doe.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.03.26_zpszk7jobeq.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.03.26_zpszk7jobeq.jpg

Some cool purple hornet type zoa's.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.05.24_zpsvydxtcnm.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.05.24_zpsvydxtcnm.jpg

I'm going to grow GSP up and down this piece of LR like kind of a GSP tree.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2017.59.54_zps7npjjvli.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2017.59.54_zps7npjjvli.jpg

I think these are pretty cool, again I don't know the names!

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.03.46_zps1ffaomn9.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.03.46_zps1ffaomn9.jpg

Some sort of stardust paly's? They are purple/brown with shimmering gold specks.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.04.16_zpseg5g9v9j.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.04.16_zpseg5g9v9j.jpg

And last ones, still don't know what they are but they are pretty cool!

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/davidncbrown/media/2014-12-28%2018.01.58_zpsq29uiswf.jpg.html'>2014-12-28%2018.01.58_zpsq29uiswf.jpg

davidncbrown

New FTS

2015-01-02%2021.06.30_zpsxhydrlje.jpg

New frag! Meteor Shower Cyphestrea. I'm going to grow it over the branching rock on the sand bed since it can get invasive.

2015-01-02%2021.08.23_zps6mlpseqn.jpg

Archived