Innovative Marine Aquariums

Here goes another 10 gallon NUVO Fusion...

davidncbrown

I won't have a chance until next weekend to work on it again, but I should be finishing it up and I'll take some pictures. Luckily this tank will be less that 100lbs once its filled up, so a super sturdy construction isn't needed. It's most important to have stability to sideways motion. The downward force of the tank bearing on three walls is actually not that much. I have cardboard boxes at work that I can sit on with them barely deforming... The sideways motion from leaning on the tank, bumping into it, earthquakes, kids, etc. is the most important when it comes to the tank easily toppling down. ;-)

It's been a couple hours now and still no leaks!

20141207_150209_zps30489533.jpg

Nice! I Totally agree on the stand part. We have been having small tremors here lately, which is not a normal thing for our area. I will build mine to support the tank but what I will be building into it is 4 inch legs on the bottom sides to hold the stand upright in case we get anymore, then I will also add some sort of rigging to hold it to the wall as well for some added side to side wobbling protection. Not sure how I am going to do it just yet but I will send some pictures in the next few weeks as I work it up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I Totally agree on the stand part. We have been having small tremors here lately, which is not a normal thing for our area. I will build mine to support the tank but what I will be building into it is 4 inch legs on the bottom sides to hold the stand upright in case we get anymore, then I will also add some sort of rigging to hold it to the wall as well for some added side to side wobbling protection. Not sure how I am going to do it just yet but I will send some pictures in the next few weeks as I work it up.

Yikes! Aquariums and earthquakes are a scary combination. The main issue with making a tank stand that fits this stand is the small footprint makes it easy to knock over. My tank is going to be in the corner so it has two walls of support if anybody should bump into it ;-)

Yikes! Aquariums and earthquakes are a scary combination. The main issue with making a tank stand that fits this stand is the small footprint makes it easy to knock over. My tank is going to be in the corner so it has two walls of support if anybody should bump into it ;-)

Exactly. I am going to back mine into a corner, put out the legs, attach it to the wall, and just hope for the best. Whats that saying all the kids use nowadays? YOLO? B) #oldfart

reefernanoman

That's why I don't miss living in Southern California with fish tanks.

Exactly. I am going to back mine into a corner, put out the legs, attach it to the wall, and just hope for the best. Whats that saying all the kids use nowadays? YOLO? B) #oldfart

Funny story... so I'm only 28 but until a year ago I had no idea what Yolo meant... I went to UC Davis which is in Yolo County and I thought it had something to do with that. I guess I was wrong...

That's why I don't miss living in Southern California with fish tanks.

Ya, no thanks!

20141210_165357_zpsc5a396f6.jpg

I picked up a new reading light... the eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Oooooohhhh!!! Looking forward to a review on this light as I am still torn between this and the nanobox.

Ah you lucky sucker! :):):) Me want FTS meow!

FTS will have to wait until the tank is set up ;-)

Oooooohhhh!!! Looking forward to a review on this light as I am still torn between this and the nanobox.

The nanobox sounds good, but I have my reservations about some of the LEDS used in it (for example the lime green). We shall see how this performs!

reefernanoman
20141210_165357_zpsc5a396f6.jpg

I picked up a new reading light... the eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Nice! Looking forward to see how this light works out. I'm pretty sure that you would be able to grow anything in there.

Squee!

We are tank and lighting twins :lol: It's an awesome light.

Twinzies!

Did you buy the spectral controller with it?

I did not. I probably should have... But it will be a little while before I can move some frags of my LPS and SPS over from the 75 gallon, so until then I will just have it on a regular timer.

Very nice! Can you still dim it without the spectral controller, or do you have to control intensity by moving it up and down?

I love the color on the Kessils :)

So here's the story from IM: They are sorry about the broken impeller and are sending me a new one in the mail. The only skimmer that comes with the ceramic shaft is the full size, and he said the air valve only needs to be opened about 1/4 turn. The return pumps do not have ceramic shafts. I thought I had read on here or possibly reef central that someone had them send a ceramic shaft... I guess I was wrong.

Very nice! Can you still dim it without the spectral controller, or do you have to control intensity by moving it up and down? I love the color on the Kessils :)
You can control the color spectrum and the intensity. Obviously I don't have the tank set up yet, but I shined it at the wall and played around with it for a bit. I think I'm going to be very happy with it. :-)

So here's the story from IM: They are sorry about the broken impeller and are sending me a new one in the mail. The only skimmer that comes with the ceramic shaft is the full size, and he said the air valve only needs to be opened about 1/4 turn. The return pumps do not have ceramic shafts. I thought I had read on here or possibly reef central that someone had them send a ceramic shaft... I guess I was wrong.

You can control the color spectrum and the intensity. Obviously I don't have the tank set up yet, but I shined it at the wall and played around with it for a bit. I think I'm going to be very happy with it. :-)

Yeah, that's what I thought the deal was with the impeller shafts. Good to hear they are sending a new impeller, though.

Looks like that's going to be a great little light, especially for the money. Since you can control color and intensity, the only things you're really missing out on is sunrise/sunset effects :)

Yeah, that's what I thought the deal was with the impeller shafts. Good to hear they are sending a new impeller, though.

Looks like that's going to be a great little light, especially for the money. Since you can control color and intensity, the only things you're really missing out on is sunrise/sunset effects :)

Ya I'm excited to get it set up! The stand is almost done. I worked on it last weekend and this weekend a bit. Once it gets done I can put everything together, get some sand and rock and get to cycling!

I'm thinking about getting some abrasion resistant acrylic from tapplastics.com for the lid. I can get it cut 11"x11" for $15. I have a acrylic top on the 75 gallon and it really works to keep evaporation down.

Have you had a chance to test the light yet? I just picked up a Kessil 150 and it seems louder than I think it should. Does yours seem pretty loud too? It sort of sounds like my old PC with the huge case fans on it booting up lol. The PC I have now is almost dead silent compared to it so I am wondering if maybe something is loose inside my light that is causing it to be louder than normal.

Have you had a chance to test the light yet? I just picked up a Kessil 150 and it seems louder than I think it should. Does yours seem pretty loud too? It sort of sounds like my old PC with the huge case fans on it booting up lol. The PC I have now is almost dead silent compared to it so I am wondering if maybe something is loose inside my light that is causing it to be louder than normal.

I had it on for a few minutes yesterday and it seemed pretty dead silent. I couldn't hear it over the fridge and the wine cooler humming... it may bump up the fan speed once it gets hotter, but I'm not sure about that. We live downstairs in an apartment, so white noise is good ;-)

I live in apartment too, I was sitting in my living room with it turned on in my bedroom where I plan on placing the tank and I could hear it humming even over my tv and I was a good 15 feet from it and on the other side of a wall too.

Nice looking set up friend. I have the Nano 16 and I love it. I'm also asking Santa for a Kessil for Christmas. The only other thing I might suggest is taking a look at the In Tank media basket. They are sweet, and a great addition to your already great set-up.

Nice looking set up friend. I have the Nano 16 and I love it. I'm also asking Santa for a Kessil for Christmas. The only other thing I might suggest is taking a look at the In Tank media basket. They are sweet, and a great addition to your already great set-up.

Thanks! And InTank is already on order... ;-)

Looks great! The stand looks really nice. Simple, clean, and black, so when the light is shining on the corals it won't distract from the display. Time to get that thing wet :)

Archived