inTank Media Baskets

bio cube 14 gallons updated 8/16/16

HIppieRose

I have the two fish I want and have not added any corals in a long while. I think I have more then enough for my tiny tank.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had same thing when my tank was newer. I removed couple pieces rock here and there and did peroxide dip on them. At same time I was dosing peroxide daily 1ml per 10 gal. Only negative is pods went Mia but are back now. Your prob getting 0 readings on phos and trates cause the algae is feeding off it. If I didn't do peroxide I would have gave up.

A couple of other things to take a look at to combat algae growth. If your tank is running hot, direct a fan to blow on the rear chambers. High temps can cause a spurt in algae, especially in hooded biocube systems. Also related to enclosed systems is a low ph, which can also cause increased algae growth. If you have a low ph <7.8, try opening up the hood. If your house has a high CO2 level (caused from AC, heating, closed windows, high occupancy level) that can cause a dramatic lowering of ph.

Don't feel beat by it, find that solution and feel that satisfaction of beating another hurdle ;)

Wow it is up to 82. Got fan on it now. I know 82 is not bad but it has cooled off in the house and I am sure it is much higher when the house is up to 82 even with the ac running.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no change in the GHA. Still pulling some out every couple days and never get it all. I can tolerate it as long as it stays short. lol So I keep it mowed.

Lost my neon blue goby. When I removed the crab it took to the rocks and after a week it stopped coming out. It could still be in there but with me feeding so little it could be dead.

If this tank every settles down I well get some thing really cheep like a blue damsel.

HarryPotter

Isn't my tank to small for one?

If it runs out of food maybe, but you can get TINY ones that are like 1". Keep it for roughly 6 months while in munches down?

Larger issue is excess nutrients. Rocks need to be blasted with a powerhead IMO

Blasted with a power head? Is that something you do with water changes? I don't think any of my coral would be happy with that all the time.

HarryPotter

Blasted with a power head? Is that something you do with water changes? I don't think any of my coral would be happy with that all the time.

Yeah its a weekly thing. Just use a turkey baster or powerhead/pump to take off all the muck and detritus off the rocks. Thats like the most important thing IMO, because the LR cannot process nitrates if its covered in shit (Pardon my french)

So I did some trimming and took the mushrooms off their plugs. One of them I accidentally split in half but glued it to a rock anyways in hopes it makes two. Now there is room for the two larger mushrooms to grow.

Polarcollision

Hi--I have another suggestion for you - see if you can get ahold of a mexican red-legged hermit. They're a little different from the common scarlet hermits. I picked up one and it completely cleaned out some GHA that started to grow

I have done a lot of changes. Going to give it some time. If I still have a problem in a few weeks ill see if my LFS can get one or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Very little change with the GHA but my jester goby is very happy. And I am learning to live with it. lol But I have pulled out so much sand trying to pull the stuff out every water change that I need to add some sand. Sure hope it does not make things worse. But I have critters that really need sand in my tank.

:furious::angry::( I think the Jester is dead. I am getting ready to throw the tank out the window. Did a water change. Five gallons.

Ammonia is somewhere between 0 and .25 but the rest all tested 0.

Tank is looking better. Some of the hair algae is turning white. I added some sand today and I seen Jester this morning. So also added a two spot blenny. No more fish.

Still looking for a pink mushroom. I know they are real just have not seen any for sale since I saw the large colony for 800. I just want a tiny frag.

No using a turkey baster. And I have been putting in some peroxide on water change day waiting a few hours then doing the water change and pulling off the GHA. Seems to be making progress and no one is dying.

Archived