inTank Media Baskets

bio cube 14 gallons updated 8/16/16

HIppieRose

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
skyscraper2290

Ya I also had some cyano issues when my tank was newer and after doing WC's for a while and using chemipure it's eventually went away. I haven't tried chemiclean but if you look at brads mangrove tank you will see the affect it had on his tank with cyano.

I seem to have done everything wrong. I hate even fooling with this tank. Afraid Ill just make it worse. Still waiting on the chemi pure to get rid of the slime. Still have not seen the Yellow line goby and my neon blue goby is dead. Fungus I believe. My pom pom zinnia is about gone.

I need this tank to recover or do I need to just start over? Leave it be for several months and see what makes it? Still doing water changes.

All my test are normal. I want to enjoy the tank like I do my fresh water tanks not have it be a huge pain.

it takes time and patience! hang in there and ride it out. better to get all the new tank syndrome over with now then when your tank is filled with corals and then u get nasty algae.

+1

give it some time. let the coraline spread and some of the other stuff grow in. SW tanks dont really start looking good till they've been established for several months

your tank looked fine a week ago. when was the last time you checked all your parameters? do you have a full test set, or are you only checking the basics like nitrates and pH?

I check ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph. Every couple days. It is good and the ph is stable. I think I am just having growing pains. lol And where it is located it hard to deal with maintenance. So going to move it this weekend. Won't be as easy to see without pulling up a chair. But will be easier to keep up with.

give it some time and if it happens to kill livestock or do poorly consider checking your alk, phosphates, and for potentially harmful things like copper

Stick with it HippieRose!!! These are, in fact, growing pains... or as I like to say, the Hazing ritual. It usually starts between the 4-6 month range. Generally, you will see a cyano bloom and perhaps a bubble algae outbreak. These are usually fairly light blooms and will be beaten with standard methods of eradication within another month or two. The tank is still in a stabilizing mode and by the 6-8 month range will truly come into it's own.

Keep at it, and keep patient

I just gave up my 14bc. What a nightmare. I hate that thing, will never go back. Be safe with it. The overflow area on the right side has like a lower overflow area but you can't access it and lots of food can get stuck in there and really mess stuff up. Thanks to Biocube I made my own completely custom setup to be everything I wish my 14bc had. Good Luck! Hope it works out for you.

Ok slime is pretty much gone. Not hating it so much but not liking it much either. One fish and most if not all the hermits are dead. Pom pom crab has lost its pom pom.

Did I lose the hermits cause the tank is too clean? If I get more should I feed them? And what would I feed them?

I have been so worried about harming the tank I don't feed but a coupe pellets once a day to Nemo. Should I feed more or more often?

post-43055-0-35572700-1423241135_thumb.jpg

Also the local saltwater shop is having a special.

Would it be to soon or to many to add these to the tank?

15 Red Leg Hermits
15 Astrea Snails
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Serpent or Brittle Star

you're worrying too much, you need to feed the tank while managing nutrients, you can't starve your tank or nothing will ever be healthy. I prefer heavy feedings with heavy nutrient export. if nutrients are your concern I'd also switch to higher quality foods, try something frozen like Rod's, it's expensive but it's so much better IMHO, dry food is okay but it's not the same as frozen foods, dry foods are also usually pretty nutrient dense (ie, lots of nitrate and phosphate).

Also the local saltwater shop is having a special.

Would it be to soon or to many to add these to the tank?

15 Red Leg Hermits

15 Astrea Snails

2 Emerald Crabs

2 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Serpent or Brittle Star

That's way to much for a 14 gallon biocube. I had two snails and 4 hermits when I had mine and that was more than enough. If you put all of those in there they will starve and die and create ammonia problems in the tank

• 2 weeks later...

I made a huge mistake but I am keeping it. I got a blenny. Just to cute to pass up. When it gets to big Ill re home and get another until I get one that stays small. Yes one will come along. I know this cause I have a goldfish that should be 10 inches but well never be 10 inches. The average is just that an average that means some of them don't get that big.

I also have a dart fish. No more fish for this tank.

post-43055-0-94011900-1424644959_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I lost my flower pot. I think the flame torch might be feeling under the weather. Hoping it recovers.

Can someone tell me what all the lights are for on my hood? I don't have anything but stock and I did add a white light to the open slot. Should I run all four?

Also anyone know why none of my corals look like they did in the pictures that the sale site had? Is it my lighting? The only ones I have that look like what I bought are the ones I got local.

Thank you for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank still looking pretty good. My dart fish comes out every day now when it sees me near the tank and begs for food. My clown has gotten kind of mean and chases the dart fish away. Not sure if there is anything I can do about that. Except maybe rehome it and just have one fish in the tank.

I have some green bubble algae but it is not very big and does not look bad yet. Too small to pinch off. I have changed to Nutri-Seawater. Nice to have it come to the door and be already made up.

PS I still have no idea what I am suppose to be doing with all those lights. But I must be doing ok cause most stuff is still alive.

• 1 month later...
HIppieRose

Not sure what happened to my firefish but I think it is gone. My emerald crab shows up from time to time. Fighting green hair algae. I have several more mushrooms and a finger leather. One of my mushrooms split and my Duncan has a new head. (Think that is what it is called when new ones show up.)

Snails keep having babies so got lots of those. Have about 7 dwarf hermit crabs. Maybe never see them all at once so who knows.

Going to research some shrimp if the firefish is for sure gone may not get any more fish. Just let Nemo-for-lack-of-a-better-name be the queen bee.

Oh and getting my salt water local now. All mixed up and ready to go.

My tank wont support Zoes. They all closed up turned black and died. So not getting any more of those.

Archived