SaltCritters.com

GFO or Carbon in a 6G

imfsub12

6 hours ago, CC26 said:

How long have you been running it? And do you run it all the time or only sometimes?

I have been running it since the tank started. If my first tank so constantly learning but it bring a pico I figured more is better when it comes to filtration. 

13 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Phosphate was like .03 I think last time I checked it. Not registering any nitrates though

You don't want phosphates any lower than that — in my opinion I would stop running it after this one is exhausted.  (Unless you just put a new one in, in which case I would say remove it and store it in RODI water until you need it.)

1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

You don't want phosphates any lower than that — in my opinion I would stop running it after this one is exhausted.  (Unless you just put a new one in, in which case I would say remove it and store it in RODI water until you need it.)

Should I be removing the purigen and the chemipure?  That would mean I have no chemical filtration at all in the tank.  Things have been growing pretty well and looking healthy, so I wasn't sure if I should be changing things up or not just yet.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!  I also posted a new thread about dosing, I would definitely love some input on that if you wouldn't mind checking it out.

16 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Should I be removing the purigen and the chemipure?  That would mean I have no chemical filtration at all in the tank.  Things have been growing pretty well and looking healthy, so I wasn't sure if I should be changing things up or not just yet.

What are they doing for your tank?   How important are those functions?  (Rhetorical...answers would be for you only.). If your answers are wishy-washy, then I'd take them out instead of ascribing your success to them.  😉 👍

From where I sit (very far away, admittedly) it doesn't look like there's any need for them right now.   You're there.  So on the flip side of what I said above, if you have a good reason to keep running them, then keep on keepin' on.  Just make sure nutrient levels don't decline any further.

4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

What are they doing for your tank?   How important are those functions?  (Rhetorical...answers would be for you only.). If your answers are wishy-washy, then I'd take them out instead of ascribing your success to them.  😉 👍

From where I sit (very far away, admittedly) it doesn't look like there's any need for them right now.   You're there.  So on the flip side of what I said above, if you have a good reason to keep running them, then keep on keepin' on.  Just make sure nutrient levels don't decline any further.

Good points.  I think that I just assumed they were needed so I threw them in.  This was before I learned that most people aim for testable levels of nitrates and phosphates.  I am coming from the freshwater world, so I never really worry about nitrates and just assumed they should be as low as possible in a reef tank.  You would think a science teacher would understand the important of nitrogen and phosphates for cells 😅  I think I will stick with things for now since I just changed salt.  I have also learned that nothing happens fast in this hobby, so I will take a step back and let things settle in and go from there.  You gave me a lot to consider and, as has happened often, forced me to really analyze what I am doing and think about why I am doing certain things.  Thanks! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, aclman88 said:

I have also learned that nothing happens fast in this hobby

Very true.  In fact I made a thread out of that once because so few seem to remember the #1 reefing maxim.  Let's do it again.  (This time with an anonymous poll.)

You're right that there are definitely no emergencies happening.  Kicking back to observe is almost always rewarded, so be lazy!  😃

That said...

One of the few real "emergencies" is an ecosystem that's full of photosynthetic life but depleted of phosphate.  You will want to take some action if you see the level in your system fall any further.  0.03 ppm is what I've read as the minimum needed to support photosynthesis.  So relax, but keep one eye on phosphates at all times since it's very low.