Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

Looking good brad

Looking good, a nicely shaped rock or two between the mangroves could add some nice height to the slope and tie it all together nicely.

This is awesome!

This is beyond cool.

Thanks!

Brad that looks sweet. I think you need just one more rock on the left hand side to cover up that little bit of glass showing though.

Yup, there are a couple spots I need to fill in. The tank looked 100% clear this morning, so will make the adjustments tonight.

I am loving the lily pipes and eheim filter, silent and you can barely tell there are lilly pipes in the tank

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say bangaii's... Yeh they seem like they would be boring, but the way they hover in tanks with vertical elements is quite pleasing.

Maybe 3 of them, some kind of bottom dweller, and a bunch of shrimp.

I am thinking flower rock anemones on the rocks, then coco worms and tube anemones all over the sand.

Took a few quick snaps. Looking forward to the weekend when I can get some natural light snaps. We are supposed to get the "storm of the decade" tonight and into tomorrow. But I don't buy into Californian weather hype. They already closed all the schools in San Francisco.

63D20FD8-E976-473D-8476-69F3FFB6D08F_zps

1B89C962-CDBF-455B-A749-A697ACD9C419_zps

EA600AA1-92F4-4C87-A6B7-8301F886C669_zps

017CEF6C-546D-403F-9C6E-7801241D8F77_zps

Have to paint the stand cover still

that light looks bright as hell and nice too I love the crisp white look to it. Also lol at cali weather freakouts. You know being from the east coast what real winter storms are, and also recognize its great not experiencing what the north east does lol.

Killer setup Definitely following this build :)

Vouching for bangaiis btw. I can totally picture them hovering between the mangroves. Plus their stripes among the mangroves would look pretty sick

that light looks bright as hell and nice too I love the crisp white look to it. Also lol at cali weather freakouts. You know being from the east coast what real winter storms are, and also recognize its great not experiencing what the north east does lol.

I think we are supposed to get like 3-5 inches of rain and up to 40-50mph winds. Decent storm, but people are acting like this is a big hurricane. My wife grew up in Florida and just sits at work laughing at them.

Living the 6700k bulb. Very bright for a 70w. View from backyard with only the tank light on

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/B23FFE82-F73D-44F1-B539-D47B9CC45C13_zpsdozkdby9.jpg.html'>B23FFE82-F73D-44F1-B539-D47B9CC45C13_zps

This build is sexy. I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Looks awesome! Love the simplicity of the tank.
Killer setup Definitely following this build :)

Vouching for bangaiis btw. I can totally picture them hovering between the mangroves. Plus their stripes among the mangroves would look pretty sick

Thanks!

Wish the bangaiis had a little more color to them

I think the main worry is the people there freaking out and traffic messes, the storm itself isn't the damage causer lol. Were you on the east coast when that derecho blew through? That shit sucked and I was shocked when I found out the midwest has em all the time.

I think the main worry is the people there freaking out and traffic messes, the storm itself isn't the damage causer lol. Were you on the east coast when that derecho blew through? That shit sucked and I was shocked when I found out the midwest has em all the time.

Yea, we were still in DC. We lost power for 3 days and it was over 100* every day. Brutal.

Last week there was a pretty big sink hole from all the rain, and our garage flooded. I got some sand bags to put in front of the door. The garage is like a step down from the backyard, it sucks. Hope it's not too bad tomorrow.

Yea, we were still in DC. We lost power for 3 days and it was over 100* every day. Brutal. Last week there was a pretty big sink hole from all the rain, and our garage flooded. I got some sand bags to put in front of the door. The garage is like a step down from the backyard, it sucks. Hope it's not too bad tomorrow.

good luck! Can you put a pond liner in the sink hole and use it as a nice new pond you didn't have to dig?!

good luck! Can you put a pond liner in the sink hole and use it as a nice new pond you didn't have to dig?!

Haha not at our house, different part of the city. That would be pretty awesome though lol

People over here are also acting like it's a monsoon and will end the drought lol, 3in aint 20in.

Love the scape in this tank! IMO cardinalfish would be great, orange stripe or blue streak are better schoolers than Bangaiis, and tend to be more colorful.

People over here are also acting like it's a monsoon and will end the drought lol, 3in aint 20in.

Love the scape in this tank! IMO cardinalfish would be great, orange stripe or blue streak are better schoolers than Bangaiis, and tend to be more colorful.

my only thought with the bangaii is that they just hover around and do their own thing which is kinda cool in its own way but I do love schooling fish too. But imo what this tank needs freaks brad out, garden eels is the awesome.

15993541731_8154cc1694_h.jpg

my only thought with the bangaii is that they just hover around and do their own thing which is kinda cool in its own way but I do love schooling fish too. But imo what this tank needs freaks brad out, garden eels is the awesome.

15993541731_8154cc1694_h.jpg

They're jumpers. Not trying to pickup dead eels off the ground lol

Ecotech just posted a cool video on their Facebook page on garden eels.

Ecotech just posted a cool video on their Facebook page on garden eels.

now off to the ecotech page for me

My only regret with my system is not getting like a 36x26x18 or close to that and doing a dsb now. I didn't even know about these guys until a few months ago mostly because full size eels freak me out lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to take care of that mangrove exhibit at the Academy and took care of the two blue spot rays when we first got them in. Very finicky little fish.

I think your water level is currently too high (or the propagule is too low); most of the propagule should be out of the water. Also, if you can somehow isolate the roots of the trees they actually do much better in freshwater, or brackish water, than full strength saltwater.

That video of Julian's tank is awesome but he has a way way bigger mangrove tree in an aquarium in his backyard, it's probably 4-5' tall with a huge root structure and it cracked the aquarium it was in.

Archived