Pod Your Reef

Brad's Mangrove Macro Sanctuary | Taken down! RIP

brad908

Ugh. USPS is showing out for delivery, but in Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale is like 25 miles south of me. Hope the macro's make it today, I don't want to wait another day lol

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad any decision on what fish you are gonna get?

Not yet. Want to get all these macro's planted before making a final decision. The problem with the lionfish is that if it needs hiding spots in the rock, this tank doesn't have it. All the rock's are glued directly to the mini cube under the sand. The tiny little chromis can find hiding spots in the rock, but I don't know if a lionfish could.

Bro where your lion fish ?

I wanted to do all the macro planting first. So after today, I should be able to make a final decision on fish.

When I was at the LFS they had a few really nice lionfish that have been at the store for almost 2 months.

ADA you have more vertical space to work with. Would be perfect for a DSB that drops into a reef flat

I agree that overall the vertical space is nice, but like on this tank, I wish the mangroves weren't so far down in the tank.

Both tanks would be brand new. I've been speaking with SCA for the custom size tank, they're only down in LA, so it would be real easy to get the exact dimensions I want with a 7 hour drive each way. ADA store is only 15 minutes away, but not sure about the 18" height.

I'm not really worried about cost, but SCA quoted a 48x18x12 with starfire on 3 sides and clear silicone for only $300. ADA 48x18x18 is $700. Waiting on SCA quote back for a 48x18x18, plus the cost of an overflow. I was thinking of just using a MAME or two though.

SCA Aquariums with clear silicone and 3 starfire sides

48x18x12” without overflow =$300.

48x18x12” with overflow =$350.

48x18x18” without overflow = $600

48x18x18” with overflow = $650

ADA 48x18x18" without overflow = $700

I hope the macro's come today. USPS website hasn't been updated in 24hours.

Nickbruh510

350$ 48x18x12 :)great dimensions those mangroves would look sick! Unless you wanted to do a really really deep 6 inch sandbed I could also see that that extra six inches helping out.( that's what she said)?

Manbearfish

Holy macro's.

macro%201_zpstmbzd51l.jpg

macro%204_zpswbwggvkk.jpg

macro%203_zps33zusa6q.jpg

macro%202_zpsmngfdn3q.jpg

Gonna be a busy night

Aweeesomeeeeee, where'd you order the macros from everything looks so clean and well put together!?

Aweeesomeeeeee, where'd you order the macros from everything looks so clean and well put together!?

Live-plants, they do an incredible job. Low prices, high quality algae, great packaging, and they give you a ton.

I did all the planting last night and I ordered a bunch more of the pine cone algae last night.

I will take better pictures tonight once the sun goes down.

19620194298_7ce75c5c35_z.jpgMangrove Macro Tank by Brad Baldwin, on Flickr

My wife and I planned out the stand for a 48x18x?" tank this morning. Going to do mangrove in the corner, with the large slopping hill. The hill will basically be a 24" macro meadow slopping down to a mixed reef. The mixed reef will be all individual islands. Probably one large island with a bunch of smaller ones around it.

Just gotta decide on the height.

michaelrzachmann

I will take better pictures tonight once the sun goes down.

19620194298_7ce75c5c35_z.jpgMangrove Macro Tank by Brad Baldwin, on Flickr

My wife and I planned out the stand for a 48x18x?" tank this morning. Going to do mangrove in the corner, with the large slopping hill. The hill will basically be a 24" macro meadow slopping down to a mixed reef. The mixed reef will be all individual islands. Probably one large island with a bunch of smaller ones around it.

Just gotta decide on the height.

that sounds ####in awesome

Have you thought of peninsula for the tank? The view of the eps from the end with the mangroves in the back would be just like those pics u posted. Like the corner idea too either I'm sure would make an amazing tank with those livestock plans.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I've always liked shallow tanks, I sometimes even use large frag tanks as displays!

I spent all last night while bored at work planning what I'd do for a future tank.

I too am leaning towards a shallow system, 10 inches or so of water. Looking at 36/48X24/30X18, but having a 6 inch plus sand bed hidden behind the sides of the stand so I could keep garden eels in a mangrove lagoon themed tank.

I'm thinking in tank off centre island weir to allow the tank to be 360 degree viewable so as if I have a space I could put it in the middle of a room. Alternatively it would be set up peninsular with a centre weir.

Currently nothing but a dream at the minute.

But one day................

Have you thought of peninsula for the tank? The view of the eps from the end with the mangroves in the back would be just like those pics u posted. Like the corner idea too either I'm sure would make an amazing tank with those livestock plans.

I don't have a good spot for a peninsula style tank, but I would easily be able to take peninsula pics on this future tank.

I'm going to make one large 118"x19"x30" stand for my tv and tank.

Why not do maybe 15" deep? Just meet in the middle of 12 & 18!

Requesting quote on 48x18x14 and 40x18x18

HarryPotter

I don't have a good spot for a peninsula style tank, but I would easily be able to take peninsula pics on this future tank.

I like 48x18x14. What lighting would you be using?

I like 48x18x14. What lighting would you be using?

Nanobox hybrid over the reef part and Nanobox duo over the mangrove macro part. Dave is going to put white lights in a duo he sent me a while ago.

looking forward to another of ur diys man

looking forward to another of ur diys man

I'm thinking of building a frame and putting one of those ikea kallax inside, and then do 2 barn doors. Top will be concrete, base of the stand will be old white chalk paint, and barn doors will be stained wood and sliding on the conduit piping I always hang my lights on.

Ikea book shelf is 58" long, that will leave like 60". Use 20" for the tv media equipment and 40" for the sump area.

The only thing I am buying for this build is the tank and stand materials.

This bookcase on its side

kallax-shelving-unit-white__0243994_PE38

Archived