SaltCritters.com

I don't know what the hell I'm doing Biocube *1 year update*

Wjcastiglione

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anyway to change the name of this topic so it stands out? or get it moved into members aquariums?

you can change the name by editing the first post (only in advanced editor mode though). as for getting it moved, a mod will have to do that for you. PM one of them.

Wjcastiglione

well guys - quick update: it's snail (canada) vs hermits (US) - and you guys can guess how this war is going to end up. What do I do? Do I keep replacing the mountie snails or do I learn to work without them?

Nice tank! Looks like you are off to a very good start.

I have a Oceanic Biocube 14 that has been up since March. Good tank to get your feet wet.

David

I only have a couple of nasarius snails that live in the sand. I gave up on other snails and instead diversified with an emerald crab, red leg hermit and cleaner shrimp.

No CUC war for me. Yet

I had a mexican turbo, actually two of them. One died and polluted my water, the other just slugged around, did not clean much of anything and just looked ugly.

Wjcastiglione

I've watched the hermits chow down on my wifes zoas and snails. I'm going crabless in my 29 as I go forward.

what are your plans for clean up?

I had a mexican turbo, actually two of them. One died and polluted my water, the other just slugged around, did not clean much of anything and just looked ugly.

It's surprising you said that - I actually have two of these - and these are the only ones that the hermits haven't tried to mess with - and they actually are constantly cleaning. I just figure when they get too big - I'll trade them in the LFS and get smaller ones.

No more turbo for me.

Guess it comes down to the face that everyones tanks are just a little bit different. Essentially, were each creating our own offshoot of an aquatic evolution. In theory, if we each let the same species from the same mother colony run in our respective tanks with slightly different water source, salinity, lighting, other corals/fish/inverts, etc... In a few hundred years we may have two species that at its origin were exactly the same are drastically unique.

Pretty neat shit. :)

Wjcastiglione

I know this has nothing to do with my tank or fish - but i'm jamming hard to some motown right now - working from home has it's benefits.

Wjcastiglione

I only have a couple of nasarius snails that live in the sand. I gave up on other snails and instead diversified with an emerald crab, red leg hermit and cleaner shrimp.

No CUC war for me. Yet

LD, do you have any issues with algae build up with few snails?

LD, do you have any issues with algae build up with few snails?

nope. Been rock solid. My LEDs seem to have drastically cut down on my algae growth. Plus my emerald crab is a beast.

I've watched the hermits chow down on my wifes zoas and snails. I'm going crabless in my 29 as I go forward.

Various snails, brittle stars, shrimp and cucumbers.

• 9 months later...
Wjcastiglione

Welp guys, i don't come on here nearly often enough but the tank is still going and really happy with where it's at right now - I don't have much room for a single coral, I'm fully stocked on livestock - and they're all getting along. It took me a while but I definitely have made some progress.

Here's a 1yr progress picture:

IMG_0975.jpg

The only change I've really made as far as hardware is I now have:

A vortech mp10 and I recently purchased a two part jebao doser (works great so far - SPS really like it)

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions/comments!

• 3 months later...

You really made some nice progress! Glad it's still up and running and everything is going well. Looking forward to your next update.

Archived