Coral Vue Hydros

I don't know what the hell I'm doing Biocube *1 year update*

Wjcastiglione

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wjcastiglione

I've got a link to my build thread in my signature. Pictures of the de-rimming and drilling are on the last page.

Like it! I'm following along.

What kind of office do you work in that lets you have a saltwater tank on your desk? lol

Awesome, thank you, sir. Getting ready to head to Menards to pick up some plumbing. I work for a start-up software company as a systems engineer - we occasionally get to do really cool stuff :). I did end up taking the tank home though so I could enjoy it more and spend more time on it.

Wjcastiglione

So - came home tonight to this - I'm thinking this is the start of a diatom bloom? Can someone confirm - if so, I'll purchase my cleaning crew.

post-86110-0-23409100-1415582415_thumb.jpg

Wjcastiglione

Just bought my clean up crew from reefcleaners.org (got the one with the hermits - helllll yeahhhh. Those are cool) More diatom bloom appeared on the sand this morning - hopefully it won't be completely out of control by the time it arrives (4 days)

Hard to tell from the picture but I am going to assume that is exactly what is going on. And it probably will get out of control lol :). But then it will start to die off and your CUC will take care of it.

Wjcastiglione

Today I got my CUC from reefcleaners - super cool. Super fast shipping. Super happy with the customer service. Would order from him time and time again.

Take a look at all the lil critters on the floor of my tank.

post-86110-0-60952900-1415901901_thumb.jpg

Wjcastiglione

Oh, I also did my first water change and added chemipure elite as well as my skimmer.

My skimmer is Aquaticlife 115 and I did the mod to make it silent. (this was more of a pain than I thought - but all in all it turned out alright)

Only thing left is to notch the back of the hood to fit the bracket for the skimmer. Just have to borrow my buddies dremel. Should take place this weekend.

I plan to go pick up a couple clowns this weekend.

By the way - Should I have this skimmer run 24 hours a day, or on a timer like my lights?

Here's a pic of the back of my tank - you'll see the intank media basket, eheim heater, aquaticlife skimmer, and my hydor ATO.

post-86110-0-34254400-1415925222_thumb.jpg

Wjcastiglione

Realized I didn't have enough constant plugs, so I went and bought an extra powerstrip - andddddd I finally labeled each plug. It got so tiring trying to figure out what is what. This will save a lot of frustration.

post-86110-0-47269300-1415936006_thumb.jpg

Realized I didn't have enough constant plugs, so I went and bought an extra powerstrip - andddddd I finally labeled each plug. It got so tiring trying to figure out what is what. This will save a lot of frustration.

+1 on the skimmer question, I am curious about it too. My guess is that its run 24/7 because when you clean your tank and you turn it off during that time then when you turn it back on you get about an hours worth of microbubbles. I dont think many people would want an hours worth of microbubbles each morning as they are trying to feed, make sure everything is all alive and take a nice look at everything before heading to work. Just a guess. lol

Oh, I also did my first water change and added chemipure elite as well as my skimmer.

My skimmer is Aquaticlife 115 and I did the mod to make it silent. (this was more of a pain than I thought - but all in all it turned out alright)

Only thing left is to notch the back of the hood to fit the bracket for the skimmer. Just have to borrow my buddies dremel. Should take place this weekend.

I plan to go pick up a couple clowns this weekend.

By the way - Should I have this skimmer run 24 hours a day, or on a timer like my lights?

Here's a pic of the back of my tank - you'll see the intank media basket, eheim heater, aquaticlife skimmer, and my hydor ATO.

Wjcastiglione

Ok guys, after some playing - I'm pretty sure I've got this skimmer dialed in.

If you see below, this is about 18 hours of running the skimmer. Lots of dirty nasty skimmate.

You'll also see the silencer I made for the skimmer since it was still loud after the airline mod. (aquaticlife 115)

One problem I'm continuously having is low salinity. I'm at 1.019-1.020 - What's the easiest way to remedy this? I was at 1.022 but the skimmer removed some water and my ATO added RO in and now it's more diluted.

post-86110-0-31368100-1416436689_thumb.jpg

post-86110-0-86917900-1416436690_thumb.jpg

Are you using a refractometer? If not I would recommend one. You can mix up new water at around 1.026 and do a water change, but too much, too quick may affect your inverts/ CUC. Instead of topping off with fresh water, just use salt water and keep checking the salinity. Eventually it will get to the level you want (EDIT: once you get to the desired salinity switch back to fresh water). The skimmer should not affect salinity that much unless it pulls out a lot of water. Try to get a drier skim.

Very nice! I could never get the nano skimmers dialed in right in the back of my BC, I was always messing with them lol. If you've only been running that for 18 hours it could still be breaking in - I do agree that it does look a little wet still. You could either try bringing the skimmer up a little higher in the water, or adjusting the airflow into the pump of the skimmer with the little knob. I would just let it run for a few more days though since it is still pretty new.

As for your salinity, that does seem odd. I wouldn't think that your ATO is pumping so much fresh water in that it is diluting your salinity that much. What I've done in the past to raise salinity is bump to 2 water changes per week and mix my salt a bit higher than usual.

As a side note, I just checked my setup and I am at 1.026 and my ATO has been running like crazy this week since I have the hood removed from my BC29.

Are you storing your salt water or are you mixing it before each water change?

Wjcastiglione

Very nice! I could never get the nano skimmers dialed in right in the back of my BC, I was always messing with them lol. If you've only been running that for 18 hours it could still be breaking in - I do agree that it does look a little wet still. You could either try bringing the skimmer up a little higher in the water, or adjusting the airflow into the pump of the skimmer with the little knob. I would just let it run for a few more days though since it is still pretty new.

As for your salinity, that does seem odd. I wouldn't think that your ATO is pumping so much fresh water in that it is diluting your salinity that much. What I've done in the past to raise salinity is bump to 2 water changes per week and mix my salt a bit higher than usual.

As a side note, I just checked my setup and I am at 1.026 and my ATO has been running like crazy this week since I have the hood removed from my BC29.

Are you storing your salt water or are you mixing it before each water change?

Mixing it for a couple hours before the water change. There is a LFS that sells premixed reef crystals for $1.50 a gallon. I'm considering doing that.

Yeah there has got to be something up with the mix - maybe not mixing long enough? By the time I am ready for next water change, my water has been mixing for a week at 78 degrees. I typically check the salinity the day before the water change so if it's off I can make an adjustment and have at least 24 hours of mixing.

Wjcastiglione

Yeah there has got to be something up with the mix - maybe not mixing long enough? By the time I am ready for next water change, my water has been mixing for a week at 78 degrees. I typically check the salinity the day before the water change so if it's off I can make an adjustment and have at least 24 hours of mixing.

For now, I have added SW to my ATO - hopefully that will boost the level and I'll just check regularly and replace with RO once the levels are correct.

Hopefully that gets you to where you need to be. Couple of months ago I noticed my salinity was way off in my display. Checked my salt water container and that was the problem - I hadn't been checking the levels in my container and was just assuming I knew exactly how much salt to add after a water change. Was a huge PITA.

Wjcastiglione

So, I've added two clowns after checking my water for a week straight and registering zero's in nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites. Salinity is still low but creeping up. I'm at 1.021 right now.

so I have one fancy percula clown, and one mocha clown. They're definitely characters, they chase their reflections all day. They're awesome - I can't wait to get some kind of coral for them to play with.

Question for everyone - and I'm pretty sure this is just algae - but you guys tell me - what's the green stuff on top of this rock? anything to worry about?

post-86110-0-77941300-1416964975_thumb.jpg

I can't quite tell from the picture. Your tank is pretty new still so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Another parameter you can check is phosphate, algae loves that stuff so you will want to make sure you have that in check.

Check this link, you may be able self diagnose that algae from this since you can get a lot closer to it than I can :)

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

• 1 month later...
Wjcastiglione

well guys,

Here's the 3mo progress:

• lots of coral
  • tank had a coral beauty, he had ich - took him out.
  • tank now has upgraded to a tunze 9001 skimmer
  • Just recently bought a bluefish LED controller - should be here in a couple days
  • Just recently bought some dosing chemicals - waiting for them in mail

I'm looking for colorful - hassle free suggestions for fish - anybody?

post-86110-0-34410600-1420510143_thumb.jpg

Archived