SaltCritters.com

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

Not much of an update recently.

Last night I got the Nano-Flipper in, which I'm less than satisfied with. The flipping mechanism doesn't work as smoothly as they advertise. When I remove the magnet, the inside portion sinks immediately to the ground and pulls sand back up with it. As you can imagine, this is kind of counter productive lol.

The Jebao RW8 failed on me, I just printed out my amazon return labels. So hopefully they will refund me ASAP and I can order my RW4.

I added another bottle of Dr Tim's Bacteria, which is still working great for me.

Today I have my Spinstream coming in, to match the other one. I also have my Neo-Therm 75 W heater coming in today. Also the ATO that I traded my Reef Radiance for comes in today, woot woot! Stoked about that! No more pouring water in with a damn pitcher.

This week some time I would really like to do a 5 gallon water change. I'm starting to see some Diatom development, so this upcoming week may be time to get a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners.

I would also like to go pick up my Picasso Clown this weekend from ReefMaster in Tampa.

Other than that things are going great, tank looks amazing, the Bangaii Cardinal is still in hiding but comes out occasionally.

Here are some pics of me and the family I took recently. Loving life! This is my first child (my other son is my step child, and I wasn't around for the baby stages) so I'm in love, and haven't felt this good about anything before. I love being a Dad!

My son being all shy and silly:

lMKiAVK.jpg

The wife and I bowling:

xWZVGCF.jpg

This is how my son woke me up this morning at 10AM. He moved across the bed over his little foam barrier and sat his head there then started "talking" really loudly. When I looked over at him he gave me a big smile :D :D :D:wub::wub::wub:

TTyWIXq.jpg

This is how I sent him today with his Grandma for baby sitting duty:

1wdetZj.jpg

I will post some more pics of the tank later on this evening after I get everything installed and cleaned up!

For sure! She loves the Soul, just need to tint her windows as she's been bitching to me about it for a while now! :P

LOL story of my life. Got my girlfriend a 14 EcoBoost Fusion with black rims and shes been bitching about me not getting her windows done yet.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you need a Raptor I work at a Ford Dealership in Ohio ;). Not too far away, we have people come from New York all the time.

What happen. When I got the STI 2 years ago raptors were around 40k. Now I see 60k. It's sad to say but I can't see spending that on domestic when the value depreciates so fast. My STI accoriding to kbb is about 1500$ less than I paid new 2 years ago lol

What happen. When I got the STI 2 years ago raptors were around 40k. Now I see 60k. It's sad to say but I can't see spending that on domestic when the value depreciates so fast. My STI accoriding to kbb is about 1500$ less than I paid new 2 years ago lol

For sureeeee. The domestic depreciation is crazy!

We very rarely use KBB at the dealership theres just so many things that come into play where customers think their car is in good condition (to them) and actual good lol. And selling it to a dealership and selling it outright blah blah. Personally if I was spending 60k on a truck I would get a super duty turbo diesel but thats me

We very rarely use KBB at the dealership theres just so many things that come into play where customers think their car is in good condition (to them) and actual good lol. And selling it to a dealership and selling it outright blah blah. Personally if I was spending 60k on a truck I would get a super duty turbo diesel but thats me

Cummins diesel! Bulletproof block even with 900whp lol.

And I'm sure you've already learned about us subie people, we treat our cars better than most

People treat their first born lol.

And I'm sure you've already learned about us subie people, we treat our cars better than most

True that. Love my car. No food, no drinks, shake your dirty ass feet off.

l know trust me a lot of my friends up here have subbies. I almost got one the other day 06 sti customer was trading it in towards a diesel but didnt like the diesel payment so we couldnt make a deal ;(

Somehow I've allowed the dog on her lap and been vacuuming hair since lol

Since you will be ordering from Amazon shortly.. just return the Flipper as well, and scoop this one instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Vertex-Cleaner-Mag-Duplex-Glass-Thickness/dp/B00C6A2S84/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412797388&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=veratex+magnet

Yeah I probably should, I would have to make a separate packing thing for that, which I don't know if they'd be okay with that.

Well I got home tonight, and bad news strikes. I have what looks like the starting stages of red slime algae, better known as Cyano Bacteria.

I am going to buy some Chemi Clean as soon as I can. I'm a little disappointed in myself, I know exactly where it came from, and I should of just said no. The frag of frogspawn I got came from a tank that had a small outbreak of Red Slime a few weeks back. I poured the water out and just place the frag in my tank, but obviously that wasn't good enough.

I have a brand new BRS RO/DI unit, so I know it's not that. I'm running my lights at 9 hours a day, and I've only fed the tank twice since it's beginning.

I'm going to buy some Chemi Clean, and this weekend I plan on doing a big water change. I'll siphon most of this crap out, and hopefully that will kick it. It's only maybe 1/2 inch square, and there's only two or three spots, but I know how quickly it can spread so I might as well start fighting it now.

I'm also getting my first diatom bloom, so that's good, time for a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners.

In good news, I got the Tunze Nano ATO in today and it's installed. I also got my Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75w heater, which is on and working, will see how it works in the AM. I also got my other spinstream installed, but I'm still not happy with the flow in the tank even with an upgraded MJ1200 in the back.

I return the Jebao RW8 tomorrow since it was defective, and will be ordering a RW4 instead. I think that will give me the flow I need, which will also aid in the Cyano.

I have $300 set aside for Coral Con this year, it's in less than 20 days, so hopefully I can get everything with the Cyano taken care of by then.

Here are a few snaps, I took a close up of the Cyano:

CdIevoe.jpg

iBRWZPI.jpg

aAMbMFo.jpg

2DNusRu.jpg

plyYzuh.jpg

You can see the big snail in a few pictures, he is loving the nice film algae on the glass, I tried not to clean it all up tonight.

I wouldn't worry about the cyano too much. Just make sure you're vacuuming the sandbed when you do your water changes, get that clean up crew from Reefcleaners (those dwarf ceriths will munch on cyano no problem), and use carbon to keep the water column clean. It'll bring down the cyano enough that more beneficial bacteria can take over again. Doing that, it only took me a couple of weeks to get over some pretty bad cyano mats all over the sandbed. :]

I wouldn't worry about the cyano too much. Just make sure you're vacuuming the sandbed when you do your water changes, get that clean up crew from Reefcleaners (those dwarf ceriths will munch on cyano no problem), and use carbon to keep the water column clean. It'll bring down the cyano enough that more beneficial bacteria can take over again. Doing that, it only took me a couple of weeks to get over some pretty bad cyano mats all over the sandbed. :]

Yeah don't trip about it the tank is still new

Do a water change and vacuum as much as possiable

Thanks a lot guys, that helps for sure. This weekend I'm going to do a big water change, and change out my carbon/filter floss. Do some good cleaning and I think in combination of that and a clean up crew I should be fine. If worse comes to worse I'll buy chemi clean.

Just catching up over here but all looks good tank wise :). I'm like minded about the cyano, I wouldn't worry too much. All tanks go through a case of the uglies when new, I'd just ride it out and use some phosphate obsorber in one of your rear chambers if your really worried.

Congrats on the new car man, I was so close to ordering a WRX but after owning Liberty (Legacy for you US folk) I physically cant fit into anything smaller with my long legs. Got myself a GT86 (FR-S) instead, picked her up in Feb this year, put her into a tree a month ago :(.

Just catching up over here but all looks good tank wise :). I'm like minded about the cyano, I wouldn't worry too much. All tanks go through a case of the uglies when new, I'd just ride it out and use some phosphate obsorber in one of your rear chambers if your really worried.

Congrats on the new car man, I was so close to ordering a WRX but after owning Liberty (Legacy for you US folk) I physically cant fit into anything smaller with my long legs. Got myself a GT86 (FR-S) instead, picked her up in Feb this year, put her into a tree a month ago :(.

Thanks a lot man, always like hearing good things from people with beautiful tanks! I'm going to give it a few, keep up with maintenance and get some GFO probably in the back.

Sorry to hear about the car, yeah I love the WRX, just not the payment :P At this point in life I would rather just have a nice sedan with a cheaper payment. Or even a sport SUV.

That cyano needs to run it's course. It will feed off the silicate in the sand for a few weeks. No need for Chemi clean just some patience ;).

lilmatty5dimes

the only vehicle i made money on was a '02 jeep wrangler. bought it for $10,300 and year and half later sold it for $9700. walked away with about $1800.

man for $60k i can think of all the possibly i could do with that kind of cash for a vehicle. lol bike for speed(although sti are nice) nice lifted jeep. and a nice flat boat to fish the lagoon.

agree with everyone above about the cyano. good clean up clean from john and a few water changes and you should be good to go. glad the ato got there safely. got the light yesterday afternoon with the mail. looks like its going to work perfectly for my lil cube. thanks again i've got a rw4 i'm selling if your interested.

New Carbon, added with Chemi Pure Blue/Elite made a world of difference in my tank.. even when I thought my tank water was pristine, I changed out my existing combo (same as above), and the tank turned crystal clear.. random algae growth, almost completely gone over night.. hence why I want to run Carbon/GFO in the media reactor.

That cyano needs to run it's course. It will feed off the silicate in the sand for a few weeks. No need for Chemi clean just some patience ;).

Thanks Lawnman, the knowledge is definitely appreciated. Just don't wanna snag up corals at Coral Con and they get engulfed or anything.

the only vehicle i made money on was a '02 jeep wrangler. bought it for $10,300 and year and half later sold it for $9700. walked away with about $1800.

man for $60k i can think of all the possibly i could do with that kind of cash for a vehicle. lol bike for speed(although sti are nice) nice lifted jeep. and a nice flat boat to fish the lagoon.

agree with everyone above about the cyano. good clean up clean from john and a few water changes and you should be good to go. glad the ato got there safely. got the light yesterday afternoon with the mail. looks like its going to work perfectly for my lil cube. thanks again i've got a rw4 i'm selling if your interested.

Glad the light is working good for you man, the ATO is great as usual. Making my life a lot easier. I swear though, it powers on every ~30 min for 1 second and then turns off. My tank evaporates so much. What do you think causes that? My reefing buddy locally just got a 60 cube with a 20 gallon sump and says he only refills maybe a cup a day, I'm filling nearly a quart or so a day.

I wouldn't feed that reef chili for a few months. Food will just fuel the algae.

Good thinking, so just some mysis for the Bangaii I guess will have to do for now!

New Carbon, added with Chemi Pure Blue/Elite made a world of difference in my tank.. even when I thought my tank water was pristine, I changed out my existing combo (same as above), and the tank turned crystal clear.. random algae growth, almost completely gone over night.. hence why I want to run Carbon/GFO in the media reactor.

Yeah I'm going to specifically put the time aside to do a big water change and change out all my filter floss and carbon.

A big question of mine is, I have a 5 gallon Culligan style water jug, a big 30 gallon brute trash can, and a 5 gallon typical LFS jug. I have no 5 gallon buckets, how can I do a water change this way? Trying to think of how I can have the water prepared. The Culligan jug doesn't have a big enough opening for a pump, so no way to mix the water. I need to go buy buckets but my wife just started back school and things are so hectic right now I have 0 time.

Any suggestions?

You got a extra pump? Mix it up your WC water in the brute. Drain the water into the Culligan and dump it. Drag the Brute and fill it back up. Or take a lunch break to get a 3 dollar bucket from the hardware store. Matter of fact get 2 ;)

You got a extra pump? Mix it up your WC water in the brute. Drain the water into the Culligan and dump it. Drag the Brute and fill it back up. Or take a lunch break to get a 3 dollar bucket from the hardware store. Matter of fact get 2 ;)

Haha lunch breaks in this business? I wish man, I'm really irritated with my job today. I'm so glued here, I can't leave, because not only am I the body piercer but I'm also the manager and take care of everything. I can't leave the front because if two tattoo artists are tattooing then nobody will be here to watch the shop.

I need to go drop this damn box off at UPS but you want to guess what I can't do? Leave this damn job. Going crazy.

Archived