Cultivated Reef

Begow's Life // 60 Shallow Rimless // Got my Scoly back!

Begow

So I've gone through two heaters, and finally just sucked it up and bought a Neo-Therm 75W. I also bought a glass thermometer. I used Amazon Prime so it should be here no later than Wednesday.

I also bought some more rock, and got a 5 gallon jug for my ATO that's shipping Monday! I found a guy to trade me the Reef Radiance light for a Tunze Nano ATO.

I also inherited a purple and green frogspawn from a friend, the tank seems close to being stable. With the Dr. Tim's, my ammonia spiked, and now is lowering. I've been following the instructions and brought it up, and then tested the next day, my tank is processing ammonia pretty quickly. I'm not a big fan of the coral being in the tank, but a free two headed nice frogspawn was hard to say no to. It's been in the tank for less than 5 hours and it's already opened up, it's ate, and it looks better than it did in the old tank it was. I think it's loving the Radion.

I'm also the worst aquascaper in the world.. I'm not really happy with this, but I guess I just lack the imagination required to do something cool!

i1ABxLI.jpg

4rWqNdX.jpg

CKEMDHl.jpg

ycwjQzQ.jpg

Bje6rDH.jpg

I'm getting my TV mounted today thats why the dog is in his crate :P

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also will be ordering my reactor or maybe a Jebao RW4 within the next few days, I'm deciding on which one I want to go with. I have the spin stream coming and will be adding another pump in the back (250 GPH apprx) so I'm not sure I will need it. I plan on keeping a lot of SPS so I feel like I might need some extra flow in there just for safe measures.

Well I ordered the new Jebao RW8, another bottle of DrTim's Bacteria, a Nano-Flipper, Neo-Therm 75W heater and a glass thermometer. With Amazon Prime this will all be here NLT Wednesday. The Flipper, bacteria and the Jebao will be here tomorrow which I think is outstanding, amazon prime rocks! Can't wait to get some extra flow in this beast, on top of the second spinstream that'll be here Wednesday, I'm convinced this will be plenty of flow for my little tank.

What do you guys think about placement for the Jebao? Side glass? Back glass? Where should it be pointing? I've never had such a small tank, so I'm not sure where it should point.

your setup makes me wish i bought the 20g over the 10g

Wow thanks man! The tank is really making leaps and bounds, so happy with my progress so far.

Took a trip to the closest LFS, 35 miles away!

Although I'm not a fan of how many fish they keep in their small tanks, what can ya do?

Here's my son being a goof ball in front of the unsightly fish display.

8azWsok.jpg

Here's a tank shot, with only whites on:

R86K0Nt.jpg

You probably can see, I added my first fish today. A Bangaii Cardinal. Tank has been processing ammonia amazingly fast, and I have another bottle of Dr. Tim's coming in tomorrow that I will be adding for good measure.

The fish is doing great, he ate, and hid most of the night. Now that lunar lights are on he is out and about going crazy checking out his new home.

I also bought two hermits, and two small snails.

I drip acclimated all of these guys for ~30 minutes, doubling the water volume slowly in their container. All the snails are great as well as the hermits.

Will update tomorrow when I install the Jebao and the Nano-Flipper.

Quick update before bed.

The lights are completely out but the Banggai is out in full effect exploring and hovering in the front of the tank. He's looking awesome! Very happy and very active! My wife named him Bangkok since she can't remember what he's called :P

Is it okay to have ambient lighting in the same room while the lights are out? I have a medium sized lamp on the other side of the room on, which doesn't produce strong light, but the tank is obviously more lit than pitch black.

reefernanoman

So I've gone through two heaters, and finally just sucked it up and bought a Neo-Therm 75W. I also bought a glass thermometer. I used Amazon Prime so it should be here no later than Wednesday.

I also bought some more rock, and got a 5 gallon jug for my ATO that's shipping Monday! I found a guy to trade me the Reef Radiance light for a Tunze Nano ATO.

I also inherited a purple and green frogspawn from a friend, the tank seems close to being stable. With the Dr. Tim's, my ammonia spiked, and now is lowering. I've been following the instructions and brought it up, and then tested the next day, my tank is processing ammonia pretty quickly. I'm not a big fan of the coral being in the tank, but a free two headed nice frogspawn was hard to say no to. It's been in the tank for less than 5 hours and it's already opened up, it's ate, and it looks better than it did in the old tank it was. I think it's loving the Radion.

I'm also the worst aquascaper in the world.. I'm not really happy with this, but I guess I just lack the imagination required to do something cool!

i1ABxLI.jpg

4rWqNdX.jpg

CKEMDHl.jpg

ycwjQzQ.jpg

Bje6rDH.jpg

I'm getting my TV mounted today thats why the dog is in his crate :P

Your aquascape came out pretty good! Now all you need is one of those Vertex magnet cleaners like the one I bought to make your tank look even sleeker! :)

Your aquascape came out pretty good! Now all you need is one of those Vertex magnet cleaners like the one I bought to make your tank look even sleeker! :)

Haha, I just put my new Nano-Flipper on last night :P

Awesome build! How do you like the Radion? I am thinking of using on on my frag build. Great progress.

I love it man, it's absolutely amazing. Best light I've ever owned! Thanks for the kind words!

reefernanoman

Are you using the reef chilli? I started using mine last month, but I guess it's too early to tell if it will make a difference. How about that RW-8? What don't you like about it? MY WP10 is pretty noisy in any other speed other than the lowest setting.

Looking good so far.

I am working on setting one of these tanks up at work but can't decide on a light.

I would either do a Radion or a Nano Box. In my opinion, they are the only two lights that are worth anything. Radions have an amazing track record (I was sold when I learned World Wide Corals uses them on all their tanks) and Dave does awesome work as well!

Are you using the reef chilli? I started using mine last month, but I guess it's too early to tell if it will make a difference. How about that RW-8? What don't you like about it? MY WP10 is pretty noisy in any other speed other than the lowest setting.

I am using the Reef Chili, I only have one coral so I don't notice much of a difference, I use one level scoop for my tank. I used it for the first time today!

reefernanoman

I would either do a Radion or a Nano Box. In my opinion, they are the only two lights that are worth anything. Radions have an amazing track record (I was sold when I learned World Wide Corals uses them on all their tanks) and Dave does awesome work as well!

I am using the Reef Chili, I only have one coral so I don't notice much of a difference, I use one level scoop for my tank. I used it for the first time today!

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that you will have your tank full of corals before you know it! :)

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that you will have your tank full of corals before you know it! :)

Haha damn right! Coral Con is the 26th of this month and I already am putting money aside ;)

Thanks. Considering a swap for a raptor. NYC roads aren't race car friendly. If I part out ill give u first crack at stuff

If you need a Raptor I work at a Ford Dealership in Ohio ;). Not too far away, we have people come from New York all the time.

If you need a Raptor I work at a Ford Dealership in Ohio ;). Not too far away, we have people come from New York all the time.

That's my wife's dream vehicle :P

That's my wife's dream vehicle :P

We have 3 here waiting for her lol. As of right now they are not releasing any with the new F-150 aluminum body for 2015 so they are going above sticker price.

We have 3 here waiting for her lol. As of right now they are not releasing any with the new F-150 aluminum body for 2015 so they are going above sticker price.

I just bought her a Kia Soul recently. I think she realizes how bad they are on gas and wants something better fitting for her and the family.

I just bought her a Kia Soul recently. I think she realizes how bad they are on gas and wants something better fitting for her and the family.

Yeah 10-13 mpg isnt gonna cut it. Florida doesnt have snow so unless you are going to be traveling over sand it isnt going to be practical lol

Not much of an update recently.

Last night I got the Nano-Flipper in, which I'm less than satisfied with. The flipping mechanism doesn't work as smoothly as they advertise. When I remove the magnet, the inside portion sinks immediately to the ground and pulls sand back up with it. As you can imagine, this is kind of counter productive lol.

The Jebao RW8 failed on me, I just printed out my amazon return labels. So hopefully they will refund me ASAP and I can order my RW4.

I added another bottle of Dr Tim's Bacteria, which is still working great for me.

Today I have my Spinstream coming in, to match the other one. I also have my Neo-Therm 75 W heater coming in today. Also the ATO that I traded my Reef Radiance for comes in today, woot woot! Stoked about that! No more pouring water in with a damn pitcher.

This week some time I would really like to do a 5 gallon water change. I'm starting to see some Diatom development, so this upcoming week may be time to get a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners.

I would also like to go pick up my Picasso Clown this weekend from ReefMaster in Tampa.

Other than that things are going great, tank looks amazing, the Bangaii Cardinal is still in hiding but comes out occasionally.

Here are some pics of me and the family I took recently. Loving life! This is my first child (my other son is my step child, and I wasn't around for the baby stages) so I'm in love, and haven't felt this good about anything before. I love being a Dad!

My son being all shy and silly:

lMKiAVK.jpg

The wife and I bowling:

xWZVGCF.jpg

This is how my son woke me up this morning at 10AM. He moved across the bed over his little foam barrier and sat his head there then started "talking" really loudly. When I looked over at him he gave me a big smile :D :D :D:wub::wub::wub:

TTyWIXq.jpg

This is how I sent him today with his Grandma for baby sitting duty:

1wdetZj.jpg

I will post some more pics of the tank later on this evening after I get everything installed and cleaned up!

Yeah 10-13 mpg isnt gonna cut it. Florida doesnt have snow so unless you are going to be traveling over sand it isnt going to be practical lol

For sure! She loves the Soul, just need to tint her windows as she's been bitching to me about it for a while now! :P

Archived