ReefCleaners.org

3 Gallon Almost-Budget Pico - new fts and video #105

rocksmom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added a stylo, birdsnest, and acro that I took from my 5g last weekend. So far, so good. They aren't glued in place yet because I was out of super glue. Ordered a new bottle and some epoxy from BRS so I will attach them this weekend and get some pictures.

The candy cane is finally puffing up and eating. For the longest time it was completely unresponsive even though everything else was doing well. Very excited about this, I love the color of it and can't wait for it to start splitting.

After losing a couple sps in my 5g from a heater issue (okay, not really a heater issue... me forgetting to turn it on) I ended up shuffling a few corals around between my two tanks and my husband's tank. I took the candy cane and the monti cap from this tank, but also added a few pieces of sps. Yesterday was wc day so I attached them and got a new FTS as well as a quick video. Sorry the video is kind of jerky. The tripod was not cooperating with me.

https://flic.kr/p/pQodGS'>15643732674_146548914b_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pQodGS'>DSC01043 by https://www.flickr.com/people/126988861@N05/'>rocksmom9, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

Wow, can't believe I haven't posted anything in here since January. Tank is still running and acans are doing well, but I've been fighting some white fuzzy growth on all the liverock. Made a post about it here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358842-white-fuzz-on-rocks/

Unfortunately this tank will not be running a whole lot longer anyway. Hubby is upgrading his tank and we're combining the coral from all three of our tanks in it. Makes me a little sad, this tank is/was a breeze. Never had any algae, easy to clean, nothing but a hob with a sponge and carbon for filtration. To be honest I'm tempted to pull out everything but the acans and just feed a bunch until it completely fill in. We'll see if I can get rid of this white gunk and maybe I will do just that...

So after reading more about this white stuff it doesn't sound promising. I think the plan for later today is to pull all the coral and do a peroxide dip, then QT them. It's a shame, but I guess this stuff happens. At least it wasn't a huge tank.

My biggest concern at this point is that I can get the acans "clean" so they can be moved into the new tank when it's ready.

I did a pretty strong dip yesterday and the corals are all currently "recovering" in QT. The acans are mad but look like they'll be fine. The sps don't look very good, but haven't lost any tissue yet. The chalice is the only thing that, at this point, looks like it definitely won't make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty good. All the acans recovered completely within a few days. SPS doesn't look good, but they're all alive. Even the chalice pulled through after some initial recession. Looks like the tissue is starting to thicken and cover the exposed areas already.

Everything is currently just sitting on the bottom with a piece of liverock from my husband's tank while we work on the new build. I gave up on the rock though. I was too mad to bother experimenting with it.

Too bad about the rocks but I'm glad the corals are recovering :)

When I was cleaning vermetid snails off my rocks last week, I found a patch a white fuzzy stuff that looked just like yours. After having seen what happened to you, I didn't take any chances. I dripped hydrogen peroxide on it let it sit for a few minutes, picket out as much as I could, rinsed it, and then did it all over again.

And then when I took the rocks out again this week, I put more on it just in case. Fire will be the next step if it comes back. I'm not taking any chances after what you went through! :furious:

Now it's my turn to cross my fingers for you. Hopefully you were able to eradicate it. I'm surprised this stuff seems to be popping up so much yet no one really has a definitive answer about what it is or how to treat it. Other than kill it with fire, of course.

Archived