SaltCritters.com

3 Gallon Almost-Budget Pico - new fts and video #105

rocksmom

Got a pic of him! Turns out he was hiding because he didn't like the flow. I turned off the powerhead and with just the two filters running he came out and was sitting in plain view.

https://flic.kr/p/pTKHtb'>15681876276_f62e16d418_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pTKHtb'>goby by https://www.flickr.com/people/126988861@N05/'>rocksmom9, on Flickr

Do you guys think the filters would be enough flow for the tank? 16gph each, so 32gph or a little over 10x turnover. The two pieces of sps are right under the one filter's outlet.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a pic of him! Turns out he was hiding because he didn't like the flow. I turned off the powerhead and with just the two filters running he came out and was sitting in plain view.

15681876276_f62e16d418_c.jpggoby by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Do you guys think the filters would be enough flow for the tank? 16gph each, so 32gph or a little over 10x turnover. The two pieces of sps are right under the one filter's outlet.

OMG... he is adorable!!

Give it a try with just the filters and see how the SPS do with that kind of flow. If they do good you should be fine. If they don't like it get a hydor pico power head. Thats what I have.

So I got this guy Saturday and haven't actually seen him eat anything since then. I've tried LRS, reef chili, and three different pellets. He could just be waiting until I'm not around or the lights go out I suppose. I'm not sure what else to try. I looked for cyclopeeze the last few times I've been at stores but it's been out of stock.

Give it a try with just the filters and see how the SPS do with that kind of flow. If they do good you should be fine. If they don't like it get a hydor pico power head. Thats what I have.

The pump I have in there is a Rio, but I forget if it's a 50 or 90. Either way it's not that much different than the hydor pico. Might have to look around and see if I can find anything smaller. Some little internal filter or something.

He's GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I totally want one :). And I was going to suggest cyclopeeze but I see it's out of stock for you. My GCG will eat cyclopeeze and the tiny NLS pellets. I also hand feed him pieces of frozen mysis shrimp a couple times a week. Maybe try crushed flake food?

He's GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I totally want one :). And I was going to suggest cyclopeeze but I see it's out of stock for you. My GCG will eat cyclopeeze and the tiny NLS pellets. I also hand feed him pieces of frozen mysis shrimp a couple times a week. Maybe try crushed flake food?

I don't have any flake, I'll have to get some. The only thing I have that I haven't tried yet is plain mysis (but since there is mysis in the LRS...) and spirulina brine. Maybe I'll try some of the brine, I know the other fish all love it even though I got it specifically for the tsb.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost my goby today. I tried a couple more foods and even though I still hadn't seen him eat I figured he must be eating something. I guess not. :( I will probably keep the tank fishless for awhile and if/when I get another one I will probably go with something tank-raised. Maybe a little ora cleaner goby or something.

I decided I wasn't happy with the flow and filtration so I spent some time yesterday messing around with some different options I had on hand. The combination of the two small filters and the tiny pump was leaving a lot of detritus on the bottom of the tank. I almost set up the ac70 from my frag tank, but after much back and forth decided not to do it. I hated having the light off to one side and it shaded the monti cap.

I ended up doing one of the small filters and the rw-4. The rw blows everything up into the water column where the little filter can eventually suck it up. This means I can only run filter floss though. No carbon or anything else. I might upgrade to an ac30 or something eventually, but for now it's fine. I have the rw-4 set on the lowest else mode and the flow is still crazy. I thought the acans would hate it, but they look fat and happy like they usually do.

Here's a quick video. Sorry for the shakiness. And blurriness.

This means I can only run filter floss though. No carbon or anything else.

Why? (cause I'm a noob and truly don't understand why high flow = no carbon) :huh:

Why? (cause I'm a noob and truly don't understand why high flow = no carbon) :huh:

Not your fault, I wasn't clear. I meant because I'm only running the one little filter and there's no room. Nothing to do with the flow.

Things that make sense in my head don't always make sense written down. :P

Damn,a RW4 on a 3 gallon ?! Makes me feel so much better about wanting to running one on my 7 gallon lol. Have you tried out the wave mode yet ?

Have you looked into a Rapids Mini canister filter so you don't have anything hanging off of the back of the tank ? It's only $30 shipped I think. Also,wouldn't you want to run at least some carbon,seeming you're feeding the tank ? Unless you're doing 100% water changes,I don't think you'd be getting all the nasties out of the water regardless of the pump kicking up all the detrius.

Not your fault, I wasn't clear. I meant because I'm only running the one little filter and there's no room. Nothing to do with the flow.

Things that make sense in my head don't always make sense written down. :P

*light bulb goes on*

Now I get it!

Damn,a RW4 on a 3 gallon ?! Makes me feel so much better about wanting to running one on my 7 gallon lol. Have you tried out the wave mode yet ?

Have you looked into a Rapids Mini canister filter so you don't have anything hanging off of the back of the tank ? It's only $30 shipped I think. Also,wouldn't you want to run at least some carbon,seeming you're feeding the tank ? Unless you're doing 100% water changes,I don't think you'd be getting all the nasties out of the water regardless of the pump kicking up all the detrius.

Yeah, it's a bit overkill. I don't know if it will stay in there longterm, but it was my best option for now since I didn't want to use the ac70. There's no way I could do wave mode. When I tried it in my 5g the water wanted to slosh out.

I'm not a fan of the small canisters. I've had the zoo med and the finnex ones in the past for freshwater. If I was going to do a canister I would just get an Eheim and some lily pipes. That would look the best, but there's no way I would want to be opening up the canister twice a week to change out the filter floss like I do now.

Oh I'm sure. I figure with my tank being 16"x10"x10" a RW4 should be okay. Do you happen to know what the lowest gph setting the wave mode will work on ? I'm assuming my water height will have to be very low.

I don't say I don't blame you. Doing weekly water changes and media changes on my brother n laws 40g planted tank,was a royal pain in the ass... I dreaded it. So I agree. I say just run some GAC and filter floss !!!

I just ordered this same tank for my office. I'm probably going to have to copy you and go bare bottom. Yours looks great! Have you come up with any ideas for inverts other than the sexy shrimp you had? Do you have a problem with crap accumulating on the surface?

Oh I'm sure. I figure with my tank being 16"x10"x10" a RW4 should be okay. Do you happen to know what the lowest gph setting the wave mode will work on ? I'm assuming my water height will have to be very low.

I don't say I don't blame you. Doing weekly water changes and media changes on my brother n laws 40g planted tank,was a royal pain in the ass... I dreaded it. So I agree. I say just run some GAC and filter floss !!!

The manual doesn't really tell you much, but since in wave mode the impeller goes off an on I assume you can run it at the lowest speed. I think that's what... 500 lph or 132gph? And then the knob is supposed to adjust the wave length.

I just ordered this same tank for my office. I'm probably going to have to copy you and go bare bottom. Yours looks great! Have you come up with any ideas for inverts other than the sexy shrimp you had? Do you have a problem with crap accumulating on the surface?

Thanks! I have a pom pom crab in there, but he only comes out at feeding time. Maybe a pederson shrimp? Not sure how happy they would be without anything to host though. Maybe a porcelain or acro crab. Haven't really decided on anything. I'll probably add some type of captive-bred goby down the road.

Haven't had a problem with surface scum, I think the hob(s) and surface agitation are enough to break it up.

Tank looks sweet. What do you think of the CADlights tank's quality? I was looking at a 3G or 5G for my Betta.

Thank you. I really like the tank. I've had Mr. Aquas and ADAs and I would say this falls somewhere in between. On mine the panels are all lined up very well and the silicone work is great. I will say YMMV though, because maybe I just got lucky. The mat that comes with it is pretty terrible though. It's like a see-through foam sheet, reminds me of the stuff you use for shipping or packing. And just so you are aware the glass lid only covers about 2/3 of the top and has a gap around the edge, unless they've changed it since I got mine. Mine used to be a betta tank so I added the piece of plastic that comes on the petco lids to keep him from jumping out.

• 3 weeks later...
How is this little guy doing?

Very well! A little bit of funky algae, but nothing unexpected for a young tank. Acans are growing new heads and are more colorful than before. Another filtration change as well. Husband took pity on me and surprised me with an AC20 and media basket. I'm now running that with floss and carbon and the original rio pump. The rw-4 had things looking a little beat up after a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived