Coral Vue Hydros

*mods please delete*

BilgePump

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the project is successful (which if the feedback here is relevant to the rest of the online community, I don't expect it will be) big deal. I got money to build a fish tank. Some guy got 60 grand to make potato salad. He was up front about what he wanted to do, and people somehow saw value in it (I gave him a dollar).

What if I made even a sixth of that? Wouldn't you want to see a ten thousand dollar frag tank... I would. I get the feeling people are bringing their political agendas into all this "hand-out" business. Yes, I am asking for money on the internet to accomplish a project.

Also, the free coral idea is interesting. Maybe a frag trade? Like a seed bank or something... The specifics of the system are entirely dependent on funds raised, if I just (even) reach the mark it will probably be a sumped hydroponics tray with a t5 fixture. If

I make a billion dollars I'm going to buy monterey bay aquarium.

masterbuilder

Hey... I am not going to pass on my personal feelings about as you put it "asking for money on the internet". BUT...I would show I had some success on a small scale doing what I was asking people to support. Then.... there may have been a different tone to your post. Just my opionion...any you know what is said about that :)

Wouldn't you want to see a ten thousand dollar frag tank... I would.

A $10K frag tank funded by OTHER people, sure that would make me happy if it was mine.

Yes, I am asking for money on the internet to accomplish a project.

If

So is your project fluid? I thought it was very specific. What if you raise more than your $1000, what would you do with it? Take a vacation?

I am asking for money to complete a project I have long dreamed of

If your kickstarter gets funded then more power to ya. But if this has been a dream of yours long enough, why didn't you start saving up for it a long time ago. Bet you would have your frag tank by now. Just my opinion. If someone wants something bad enough, they usually work their butt off to get it. But then there are the select few that expect everything to be handed to them. One of these two types of people has more potential to become successful, bet you will never guess which type.

If the project is successful (which if the feedback here is relevant to the rest of the online community, I don't expect it will be) big deal. I got money to build a fish tank. Some guy got 60 grand to make potato salad. He was up front about what he wanted to do, and people somehow saw value in it (I gave him a dollar).

The potato salad thing is a poor comparison - that guy did it as a joke, the entire internet grabbed on and made it viral, and places like Reddit/4chan/etc. decided that they wanted to spend a couple of bucks for a big internet joke, so it worked - you even gave the guy a dollar. I also wouldn't be surprised if he made the potato salad and then gave a bunch of the money to charity.

Look, there is no harm in asking, right OP? But if you can ask for money, then I can tell you yes or no and WHY I feel that way. Your problem is that you've asked, people have said no for good reason, but you are reading it as they're being mean and it's not fair.

What if I made even a sixth of that? Wouldn't you want to see a ten thousand dollar frag tank... I would. I get the feeling people are bringing their political agendas into all this "hand-out" business. Yes, I am asking for money on the internet to accomplish a project.

This is a stupid statement. I'm sorry, but it is. Political agenda? What agenda? Actually doing something for yourself? Guilty as charged, then. And yes, I'd LOVE to see a $10,000 frag tank, but by someone who reliably keeps large tanks and a variety of livestock healthy, happy, and safe.

I sold my stuff from over a decade's worth of paintball so that I could set up a 5g pico. I took a loss on it so I could get into this hobby. There are days I regret it, and days I don't. You are asking for way more than I spent, and you don't have to sacrifice anything to get it. I think that's what rubs people the wrong way.

Also, the free coral idea is interesting. Maybe a frag trade? Like a seed bank or something... The specifics of the system are entirely dependent on funds raised, if I just (even) reach the mark it will probably be a sumped hydroponics tray with a t5 fixture. If

No - no frag trade/swap. We're talking you GIVE the coral to other places to aquaculture great species so that we can stop yanking it from the ocean.

Here is what your kickstarter should look like:

*picture of coral and the ocean, preferably a reef that is hurt*

Hi, I'm Tibbs. I've started this kickstarter because of something very dear to my heart - coral reefs. I have been interested in having a reef tank for a very long time. I started with a 12g, then moved to a 5g tank *pictures of the tanks*. I quickly learned that I love coral reef gardening, and tending to the little critters. They are so dang cute!

As many of you are aware, the world's coral reefs are dying at an alarming rate. They need our help. What does this have to do with aquariums?

Unfortunately, some of the most prized coral reef specimens for the aquarium hobby can only be taken from the wild. Obviously this impacts our coral reefs, especially in places where there are no laws restricting the taking of coral. Here is where I come in.

Certain groups have been aquaculturing coral - that is, growing coral in tanks, aquariums, etc. in a farm-like setting on land. This affords a great opportunity - corals can be grown for sale without further damage to the reefs. I bet you can see where I'm going with this...

I propose to start up my own small scale Aquaculture facility. This will serve multiple purposes. First, it will provide a place to grow corals sustainably in a safe, healthy environment. Second, it prevents further taking of wild corals, allowing them to hopefully rebound naturally. Third, it allows the aquarium hobby to promote conservation of the thing we love to dear - the ocean and the life within it. Fourth, and an unfortunate possibility, it will allow various coral species to live for years to come so people can see them, even if they die off in the wild.

The goal of this aquaculture operation will be to cultivate various coral species (softies, LPS, and SPS) and donate them to local reef clubs, other aquaculture ranches, public aquariums, etc.

Here is my proposed equipment list and why I'm asking for $XXXX to start it up:

Coral frag propagation station, 3 of them - one for each coral type

Extra "frag tanks" to act as a sump for each of the coral set ups, 3 total, 1 for each set up

Lighting - LED. Lighting is the single most important thing for corals to grow. Corals do eat (more on that) but they are largely photosynthetic, obtaining most of their energy through small single-celled organisms that live inside them. This is the most expensive part because of how crucial it is. I have also opted for LED lighting as it is more energy efficient (thereby limiting overall cost, and the impact on the environment). Here is a link for more information as to why this is so crucial. In this case, I am having a local reefer custom build LED fixtures that can be controlled and altered for perfect light balance (Nanobox.com). Support local, y'all.

RO/DI water unit - municipal tap water is problematic for aquaculture. It is safe for us to drink, but it has a number of minerals and compounds that lead to unhealthy salt water in marine tanks. The coral need to be getting every bit of energy they can, none should be wasted on nuisance algae, pathogens, or stress.

Water lines - to connect everything

Plumbing - to run the sumps and tanks together

Filter socks to filter the detritus out of the water as it enters the sump.

Pumps - to return the water into the frag tanks from the sump

Substrate balls - things like Eheim Substrat Pro are perfect for frag tanks, helping to keep the water clean and healthy for the corals.

3 protein skimmers - an additional mechanism to ensuring the corals have the water quality that they need. 1 for each set up.

Various propagation tools (scissors, forceps, glass rods, turkey basters, etc.) important for day to day maintenance.

Eggcrate, or lighting diffuser and PVC - this creates the rack on which the coral frags will sit.

Powerheads - these ensure that there is enough water flow in the tanks to remove waste, to guarantee proper gas exchange, food spread, and overall energy into the system. Very imporant. Number will vary based on model/size for each aquarium. The goal right now is 1 Maxspect riptide per tank.

Frag plugs, glue - more things important for fragging and aquaculture

300W heaters, 1 per tank - to ensure the water is warm enough for healthy, growing coral.

Power cords, surge protectors to run everything

Coral food - corals get 95% of their energy requirement from their photosynthetic symbionts (see above), but they do actually feed, too. These coral foods are not terrible cheap, but they are beneficial to the corals and really do improve growth (link journal articles to scientific research)

Corals - this is the whole point, right? I need to buy corals.

I will gladly take ANY donated gear and livestock. If I don't have to buy it, I don't want to. This isn't fancy, this is solely for growing and saving corals. If you want to save a specific coral, please feel free to ask. If you have a frag of that coral, I will pay for shipping to get it.

That's pretty much the basic set up. Here is a visual of what each will look like:

*picture of a propagation tank*

I think this is a critical step for the aquarium hobby and the oceans in general. If I get the funds, I will set up 3 tanks. If I come short of the fund limit, I will likely set up 1 frag tank with 3 "areas" for each coral type to at least get started.

I will start a blog to show the progress of the build, with regular updates on the health and status of the tanks. In addition, I will post the total amount of money I receive, along with donations. As I purchase things, I will take screenshots of receipts or pictures of actual receipts to show that 100% of this money given is going in to the aquaculture tanks. I believe in 100% transparency for things like this. Besides, why hide away something so vital? If we educate people, we can get them on our side!

Here are the incentives:

$1 - a happy thank you email and a name in the donations list (note: ALL donations will get these rewards)

$5 - a bumper sticker

$10 - a T-shirt

$25 - a softie coral frag, shipping not included*`

$50 - an LPS or SPS coral frag, shipping not included*` or 2 softies with shipping included*`

$75 - 2 LPS or SPS with shipping included*` or 3 softies of your choosing, shipping included*

$100 - any 2 corals of your choosing, shipping included*

$150 - any 3 corals of your choosing, shipping included*

$300 - 8 pieces of coral of your choosing, shipping included*, a special thank you letter, a T-shirt, and a fish.

$1000 - 10 pieces of coral, a fish, a shirt, a thank you letter, and one of the tank set ups is named after you (you choose which tank, first come first serve)

Let's get reefing! Thank you for your help and support in this endeavor. I wish everyone happy reefing. If you do donate, thank you and please spread the word. If you decide not to, feel free to email criticisms to ******@****.com. If you aren't donating because you can't afford it, thank you anyways and please spread the word! If you would like to make a donation that is not financial, please email me at the address listed above.

*Picture of me smiling*

There. That's what I'd do. If I had the damn space, I'd just copy paste this into my OWN kickstarter...

I get the feeling people are bringing their political agendas into all this "hand-out" business. Yes, I am asking for money on the internet to accomplish a project.

I think the point is more that folks don't like watching individuals take advantage of the system, or of other peoples' hard earned money. At the end of the day, if someone wants to throw cash on your personal project, that is their prerogative. Just keep in mind how this makes you look, and what your reefing peers, and the general public is going to think of you.

If you want to reboot your project with proper incentives, goals, and a better business model, than maybe you can turn around your infamy and redeem this kickstarter.

tibbsy07,

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I would back that. It answers everything in post 20. It also isn't a business.

Even if OP did that now though I wouldn't back it based on his responses and apparent immaturity here. Thus I would back out if it was anyone else's.

tibbsy07,

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Man, if I had the space/time, I totally would. I actually thought of one once to do a series of experiments, but, unlike OP, I ended up realizing it was more about me than the community and decided against it.

A Nano-Reef community frag project would be pretty sexy. :happy:

Right?

I would back that. It answers everything in post 20. It also isn't a business.

Even if OP did that now though I wouldn't back it based on his responses and apparent immaturity here. Thus I would back out if it was anyone else's.

;)

tibbsy im copy pasting that, ill post my kick starter later tonight B)

Hey now... timestamp shows it's mine! :D Nah, man, if we can get better reef conservation and aquaculture in this hobby, I'm 100% for it. Like ninja said, we should all do one - only problem is which one actually gets funded?

Edited the kickstarter for 1 more important thing - transparency

@OP: What the actual f*ck?

Btw guys I need an Apex Controller with all modules so damn bad... Kickstarter, maybe?

Oh and PLEASE pay for my honeymoon vacation on the Maldives next year, would be damn nice of you cuties! xoxoxoxoxo

Holy crap, where the f*ck is this generation of humans going ...

Tibbsy, looks like you thought that out pretty well. I like the idea. I sincerely hope to see something like that come to fruition.

After a resoundingly negative response from you guys I have decided to can the project. It certainly does not appear that it will be successful in this climate. Many of you are already familiar with the sensation of urinating on other people's dreams, so if it was your first time, congratulations. Goodbye.

Tibbsy, looks like you thought that out pretty well. I like the idea. I sincerely hope to see something like that come to fruition.

After a resoundingly negative response from you guys I have decided to can the project. It certainly does not appear that it will be successful in this climate. Many of you are already familiar with the sensation of urinating on other people's dreams, so if it was your first time, congratulations. Goodbye.

What the heck did you expect?

You are the one asking for the hard earned money of others to possibly get profit for yourself after WE kickstarted your "dream".

Were we together in school? Did we grow up together? No. We absolutely don't know what kind of person you are.

Yeah sure you could be the Mr. Nice Guy who really gives something back to those that made your dream possible, but you could also be the total opposite.

Holy crap, where the f*ck is this generation of humans going ...

+1

also, the gif in your sig is badass

A Nano-Reef community frag project would be pretty sexy. :happy:

that would be interesting.. one-in-one-out kinda thing..

BattleAthletics

I can't believe this guy got so hurt.

He rage quit nano-reef, all of you should be ashamed of your self. Poor guy, his dreams, ambitions, his confidence, his morale all gone, you guys/gals are murderer of dreams! If feel bad for the dog he's going to kick on his way out of the house.

I'm going to do a kickstarter for coral prop tools, every time you frag a colony, the cutters will yell out a curse word or hate chants. I will put on the package "Contains strong language not suitable for children".

He actually did cancel the project too. I wonder how long until it shows back up with tibbsy's description.

5 minutes, because I'm posting it :D

Kidding - I have no room. I wish I did, though. This may be the direction I take when I get a house...

Archived