Top Shelf Aquatics

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Their frags and mini colonies are pretty damn cheap,a lot cheaper than the rest. So are Living Reef's. I used to shop at WWC but for me,being a frugal reefer (especially on frags ) Top Shelf has become my go to store.

I have seen WWC's live sales and the prices are so damn cheap,I just never have the money readily available whenever they have a live sale. They have a frag tank now ?! How are the prices on stuff in there ?

I don't know about Living Reef having cheap frags and mini colonies, but I do agree about Top Shelf. I haven't been out to WWC in about a month, but the past couple times I went the new frag tank was usually $10 frags, and sometimes $30 4-6 piece frag packs. A lot of the stuff in the frag tank is not really worth it IMO, but if you look through it you will find some nice stuff that is just not in the best condition. But, with a little TLC, you could end up with a really nice piece for $10. Here's and example, I got this out of there for $10.

14578586206_50371b9937_b.jpgWWC Toxic Acro by cchsoracle, on Flickr

and the blue Acan on the right as well as the Bowerbanki next to it, both $10

14706149898_4c21e728bd_b.jpg20140811_232129 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Really nice scape, pretty much what I would be doing on a tank this size. Gives ample space for corals and at teh same time provides lots of open water and hidey holes for the fish.

Thanks man. Hopefully it all grows in the way I picture it in my head.

Here's a little photo dump for the day. I spent some time working on my floating canopy and light setup last night.

https://flic.kr/p/oGince'>14895896935_33daaf54f9_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oGince'>20140811_190059 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

14706249247_75a3c4c8a6_b.jpg20140811_190117 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

14889766711_9a5913a914_b.jpg20140811_223145 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And I cannot resist to post these pics I took of some stuff in my Nuvo last night. I cannot wait to transfer this stuff over.

14706215267_bdff5e1e14_b.jpg20140811_232119~01 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

14706173408_0416f97d65_b.jpg20140811_232138 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Shelf more so than Living Reef. Damn you can't beat the deal you got on those frags with a stick. Corals look amazing though.

I haven't been to WWC in probably 2-3 years. TS does have some sexy ass Zoa's called Candy Crushes,such a good looking frag the tall douche that works in there was wanting to charge me $25 a polyp then Travis to charge me $10 a polyp lmao. I got a raise,so some new fire sh*t is coming ;)

Top Shelf more so than Living Reef. Damn you can't beat the deal you got on those frags with a stick. Corals look amazing though.

I haven't been to WWC in probably 2-3 years. TS does have some sexy ass Zoa's called Candy Crushes,such a good looking frag the tall douche that works in there was wanting to charge me $25 a polyp then Travis to charge me $10 a polyp lmao. I got a raise,so some new fire sh*t is coming ;)

Diamonds in the rough.....I also got a frag of Jason Fox Avatar chalice out of there for $10. It is doing well, just has some kind of weird macro algae growing off of the rock it is encrusting so I haven't really taken any good pics of it.

Hmmm....I think I know who you are talking about, but he has always given me pretty good deals. I have never dealt with Travis, but Alex B gets some amazing deals from him on a regular basis. Congrats on the raise, that's always a good thing!

The name Avatar just seems like it'd be a wicked piece !! I'd like to see some pictures. Yeah,there's always hidden gems,that's for sure. Anywhere you go really. You've just gotta look and look again lol.

They love Alex lol Everytime I go in there Travis is always talking about him. I gess supposedly between Alex and me we both give them a lot of business hahaha. Yeah,the raise has been in the making,so it's nice. Almost extra $200 on my check every week. I'm not complaining :D lol

It really is lol. Much needed.

So what couple of colonies were you thinking about for this tank ? I'm sure something sick,I'd hope hahaha.

Well I have the WWC Toxic Acro already. I would like to add to that something along the lines of the following:

1) 1 Awesome Milli(Possibly the Somewhere over the rainbow Milli)

2) 2 nice acros(possibly Orange Passion and a shortcake)

3) Some nice Bonsai(these are a little more common but I just love the way they look for some reason)

This may all change as time goes on. I really don't need it to be some crazy collector piece, as long as I end up with 4-5 nice SPS pieces that pop with different coloration in each one.

Orange Passion is just down right sexy. I love AJ's piece. Milli's are pretty bad ass too,can't go wrong with those or a ShortCake piece. When you say Bonsai are you referring to Purple Bonsai and like Tricolors ?

I'd love to get a hold of a Red Dragon,Needle in a Haystack,Pearl Berry and Pink Lemonade from CC. They have such UHMAZING pieces :o

Orange Passion is just down right sexy. I love AJ's piece. Milli's are pretty bad ass too,can't go wrong with those or a ShortCake piece. When you say Bonsai are you referring to Purple Bonsai and like Tricolors ?

I'd love to get a hold of a Red Dragon,Needle in a Haystack,Pearl Berry and Pink Lemonade from CC. They have such UHMAZING pieces :o

I have every single acro you listed :) let me know when your ready and I'll frag some up.

Just your standard purple with green polyps.

I have every single acro you listed :) let me know when your ready and I'll frag some up.

Say whhhhhhha ?! That would be awesome ;) shoot me a PM if you would,and we can negotiate !!!

Just your standard purple with green polyps.

Gotcha,yeah that's also on my top list of favorites. I guess it's the simplicity of the coral that makes it so appealing. Definitely a classic for sure.

I also love how there's a bunch of Floridians on this specific thread right now lmao.

lilmatty5dimes

man all this sps talk and i'm starting to get an itch. i need my tank to mature another month or so longer before jumping in that boat. lol i do have a birdsnest doing great in there. lol have you guy checked out WWC live aucton on ebay? they usually have some pretty great prices on there. but on the other hand a few jewels that are $$$( http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWC-Taste-the-Rainbow-Acro-WYSIWYG-Live-Coral-Frag-World-Wide-Corals-81-/271568732069?pt=Coral_and_Live_Rock&hash=item3f3ac1ffa5 ) one for example. lol

the rw4 is definitely a awesome pump. its on my nuvo 16 and i don't think there's a dead spot in the whole tank. frogspawn and rbta had to get use to so much water movement. BE CAREFUL when turning it on for the first time. it'll be on the highest setting which is a ton of power.

canopy looks great i'm digging the floating canopy look. saw another guy in orlando on the RC orca forum have it. here's a great place to look for certain pieces. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48 guy selling a red dragon for $50

lilmatty5dimes

thats usually where i would find pieces i was trying to collected. the lfs over didn't really have anything to nice so it was a trip down south to melbourne or a drive over to O-town. lol

diverseyboats

Regarding the power controller in-leiu of a real-controller situation, I use one of these... Makes it very easy to cycle components on and off independently...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQELHBS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9

Thanks Glen. Maybe I'll get around to finally using my coupon once this is all up and running. I hadn't considered the American DJ power bar. One big problem I have with it is I have no idea where I would mount it with the stand that I am using. But, your recommendation got me thinking in the right track and I think I have a solution, so thanks!

Here is what I think I am going to use:

I found this remote controlled power strip. This allows me to keep the power strip under the stand like I havei n the past but allows me to kill power to the return pump, ATO, heater, and RW-4 with the push of 1 button. I will just leave the remote out on the stand to remind myself to turn it all back on.

14784374761_93d091341e_z.jpgRemote controlled power strip by cchsoracle, on Flickr

For the lights, I found this digital timer. The cool thing about this one is it has 2 outlets that can be set independently. I have used the analog ones in the past and they just take up so much room and are a PIA. This looks like it will work better for me. The only drawback is if I ever need to manually turn the lights on. If the need arises I will just have to bend down and reach under to manually override the timer......oh well, about $60 total....even cheaper than a used RKL(which would not have even fully solved my problem anyways)

14764524086_58a3e51e57_z.jpgDual Outlet Timer by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Regarding the power controller in-leiu of a real-controller situation, I use one of these... Makes it very easy to cycle components on and off independently...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQELHBS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9

Yeah, I considered those as well, but wanted something that was compact. Those would have to be plugged into a power strip and then something plugged into them, and this would probably not fit under my stand. The nice thing about the Belkin is its all in one unit and not that obtrusive. I also like the fact that all 4 outlets turn off with 1 switch, but this may not work for everyone. Whenever I do maintenance, I will be able to shut off power to the heater, return pump, RW-4, and ATO with the flick of 1 switch, but I can see how some may want independent control.

Your canopy turned out awesome!

I am a little sad you won't have your 34 & 8. They look so cute together.

I know. I really think they look good next to each other but sadly I dont have the time or money for 2. So 1 super awesome 34 it will be!

Annnnntiiicipationnnnnn !!

Whatcha doing with everything from the 8 (light,tank..ect) ?!

Gonna attempt to sell it as a package. Ill be moving the ato over to the cad, but everything else will pretty much be sold.

Last night was finally the night!

Sand is in...

14789696909_0ccda46fa4_b.jpg20140819_194302 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Scape is set....

14976030192_c864bef0a7_b.jpg20140819_203048 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Water!!!

14976031812_9ec7f95088_b.jpg20140819_235404 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a couple more random shows that show the true beauty of the CAD tank.

White balence is a little off here and makes it look a lot more purple than it really is, but still is a cool shot.

14755062720_abd6be9c2e_b.jpg20140816_220838 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I love her curves...

14755062000_a5c6ef54ae_b.jpg20140816_223123 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

More pics tomorrow once the water finishes clearing up.

Oh I also forgot to mention, I am experimenting with dosing multiple strands of bottled bacteria. Last night, to start things off, I added the recommended 5ml/25G of BrightWell Aquatics MB7, and will continue to do so for the next 2 weeks. To add diversity, I also added 2ml of ZeoBak. Tonight, I think I may add some sponge power as it is supposed to aid in shortening the cycling period, although I am unsure whether it will make much of a different with a tank that has nothing but dry rock.

One question for everyone, should I feed the tank to provide something for the bacteria to feed off of? I think I may add a pinch of LRS Reef Frenzy.

That scape doe !!! Looks amazing man :)

Thanks. I was a little bit aggravated with myself that I didn't htink about the return and RW-4 being on the right side. Therefore, my larger rock structure is on the same side and was a bit crowded at first. I even tried flip flopping the left and right structures, but it just didn't look right as I created the structures to each be on their particular side. In the end, I found something that would work by removing some of the locline and playing with the RW-4 until it all fit nicely.

If anything for bacteria wise,try the Nutrafin Cycle and or throwing a piece of small live rock in the false wall somewhere.

How's the RW-4 for flow ?! I want to get one so damn bad. I can't wait to see how this things starts to look once it gets some stock in there. What fish are you thinking about ?

Archived