SaltCritters.com

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I like the third scape the most so far.

That's the kind of low laying scape I'm into
They allow the most growth and if you have sps they work amazingly

Thanks...thats the plan. Here is the final scape all epoxied up and ready to go.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14864326081/'>14864326081_1cdbf18336_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14864326081/'>20140808_232425 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

Annd this also came and i have started working on the canopy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14864938924/'>14864938924_5d04c25fc9_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14864938924/'>20140808_204036 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a quick shot of where its all going to be when its

done.https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14680717690/'>14680717690_a80dccfe15_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89326890@N03/14680717690/'>20140808_202029 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

Id make sure that when you set up your lighting that you have it at least 8" above water line. Mines at 9" and it still is a bit to low. Ive bleached out my milli and part of my nest. They are starting to recover but the light is strong.

Nice pick up, is this dimmable?

Man the scape looks amazing. A lot of potential for good growth.

The RW-4 is really that small ?! Hmmmm,that's crazy. I really wanted to push my luck and put on in my 7 gallon :D

Well well well, I am liking what I see here :D.

Thanks RollaJase! Glad to have you following along.

aquascape is good. agree you'll get a ton of growth.

Thank you. It's all ready to go. After I took those pics, I covered all the epoxy with super glue/sand. I just need to finish the floating canopy and get rockin.

Man the scape looks amazing. A lot of potential for good growth.

The RW-4 is really that small ?! Hmmmm,that's crazy. I really wanted to push my luck and put on in my 7 gallon :D

Thanks Reefkid. The rw-4 has a nice small footprint. I think it would be ok in a 7 gallon, just want to dial it back quite a bit as these are pretty powerful. Oh, and as others have stated, be careful when turning it on as it starts up on full power.

No problem man. So I'm taking it,this build will be a sps dominant set up ? Loving all the blue bottles :) I'm going to have to tag along to see how this pans out !!!

Oh okay. As long as I can get a good swaying motion out of it at low settings I'll be happy. I'd much rather have one stronger pump in my tank than 2-3 just to get enough flow.

No problem man. So I'm taking it,this build will be a sps dominant set up ? Loving all the blue bottles :) I'm going to have to tag along to see how this pans out !!!

Oh okay. As long as I can get a good swaying motion out of it at low settings I'll be happy. I'd much rather have one stronger pump in my tank than 2-3 just to get enough flow.

Ehhh, I would say more of a mixed reef. In the long run, though, I would like to have 4 - 5 nice SPS colonies taking up the top half of the tank, then all of my encrusting stuff like chalices and cyphastreas covering the bottom rock work and back wall, with acans and other lps scattered around on the sandbed.

I believe the RW-4 is adjustable from 100 - 1000 gph, so that would be pretty good for a 7 gallon. I honestly haven't played with it too much, but once I get my cycle going I will be experimenting with placement and settings.

I hear you. I really enjoy a nice mixed reef. You get a little bit of everything. My tank was supposed to be a sps tank,but very very quickly became a zoa tank lol. But I'm slowly getting some sps in there. I've got a few Monti's a birdsnest and a Digi.

I should be good on flow then with a RW-4. The tank is 16"x10"x10",so I should be able to tank it up a little and not have to worry about anything.

I hear you. I really enjoy a nice mixed reef. You get a little bit of everything. My tank was supposed to be a sps tank,but very very quickly became a zoa tank lol. But I'm slowly getting some sps in there. I've got a few Monti's a birdsnest and a Digi.

I should be good on flow then with a RW-4. The tank is 16"x10"x10",so I should be able to tank it up a little and not have to worry about anything.

Yeah I agree. Maybe someday I will do a SPS dominant tank. When I started in this hobby back in January, I wasn't all that interested in SPS. As my Nuvo 8 progressed and I started to get more and more comfortable, I started gaining interest in it, but I still love LPS and softies. There's not way I could give up some of my LPS frags.

can you clone this tank when it's up and send it to me? it's everything i want if i upgrade. =P

Coming from you that means a LOT. I felt the same way about your PicO for a while. You have a definite winner on your hands, but it is starting to get full and you need to upgrade!

I know exactly what you mean. When I first started about 5 years ago,I tried to dabble in them and had some good luck,but moved and everything died and I never tried again until now. I feel the same way,some of my higher end Zoa's I could NEVER give up.

You're in Lake Nona correct ? Where do you get your stuff from ?

I know exactly what you mean. When I first started about 5 years ago,I tried to dabble in them and had some good luck,but moved and everything died and I never tried again until now. I feel the same way,some of my higher end Zoa's I could NEVER give up.

You're in Lake Nona correct ? Where do you get your stuff from ?

That's a bummer. I am not the biggest zoa fan, but do have a couple somewhat nice pieces. They have all been sitting on my rack in the Nuvo. I have to do one more round of dips to get rid of some pox, but they are doing fairly well. I am more a fan of Acans and Rics/Yumas. And more recently, I fell in love with cyphastreas and chalices.

Yep, I have a townhouse in Lake Nona. In the beginning, I bought a lot of stuff from Living Reef, mainly because my buddy that got me into the hobby buys all his stuff there(he is one of their biggest customer). A couple months ago, though, I started branching out more and realized that their prices and selection wasn't as good as I had thought. They have a beautiful store and some amazing Reef Savy tanks, I just have not been happy with what I have seen there lately. Now, I shop mostly at World Wide Coral and Top Shelf.

What did you decide about the chip in the bottom pane? Mine had the same thing along with a couple of other minor cosmetic issues. I ended up keeping it. So far so good...

I talked to Jason at CAD on Friday and he had looked over all of the pictures I sent him and he assured me that it was safe to use. Therefore, I am just trying to forget about it...lol. It still makes me a bit nervous, but my original instincts were that it would be fine so I'm sure it will. I did a 3 day leak test in the garage and didn't have any problems. I also got some thin, black shelf liner at home depot over the weekend to put under the tank and that will help as well.

A lot of people don't like Zoa's lol but me personally I love them. I love some acans too. For some reason I can't get into chalice's,I don't know why.

I thought so,I'm just a couple minutes down the road from you then. I'm by Lee Vista road. Oh okay,I used to go to Living Reef quite frequently but recently I've only been shopping at Top Shelf. I've dropped a lot of money in there the past month lol. You can't beat their prices,it's crazy and on the weekends their sales are out of this world.

A lot of people don't like Zoa's lol but me personally I love them. I love some acans too. For some reason I can't get into chalice's,I don't know why.

I thought so,I'm just a couple minutes down the road from you then. I'm by Lee Vista road. Oh okay,I used to go to Living Reef quite frequently but recently I've only been shopping at Top Shelf. I've dropped a lot of money in there the past month lol. You can't beat their prices,it's crazy and on the weekends their sales are out of this world.

I completely agree about Top Shelf. I will probably be getting 1 or 2 of my SPS pieces that I plan to add from them. I would like to get at least 1 or 2 from a local hobbiest too. I have noticed though, that dry goods are priced very reasonably at WWC. I picked up a bunch of stuff from WWC in one of their last live sales over on R2R, and now that they have a "frag tank", you can find some gems hidden in the rough sometimes(I got both my Jason Fox Avatar chalice and WWC Toxic Acro for $10 each out of there).

Their frags and mini colonies are pretty damn cheap,a lot cheaper than the rest. So are Living Reef's. I used to shop at WWC but for me,being a frugal reefer (especially on frags ) Top Shelf has become my go to store.

I have seen WWC's live sales and the prices are so damn cheap,I just never have the money readily available whenever they have a live sale. They have a frag tank now ?! How are the prices on stuff in there ?

Really nice scape, pretty much what I would be doing on a tank this size. Gives ample space for corals and at teh same time provides lots of open water and hidey holes for the fish.

Archived