ReefCleaners.org

NEW Tunze 9001 Initial Review!

broodc2

I just got my Tunze 9001 from SteveT! Packing was top notch as always and as usual, I got my swedish fish! The skimmer is all set up and running in my Nuvo 24 currently. After approximately 20 minutes of run time I figured I'd share some pictures and my first impressions and initial thoughts. Right off the bat there things I really like and some things I can see becoming kind of a pain. I have been running the 9002 for the last 7 months.

Here are some un-boxing pics. I love the fact that a cleaning brush is included. I bought my 9002 used so if this is par for the course for Tunze I guess this isn't all that awesome. But it was a nice surprise.

14558080938_09cd0248db_o.jpg

14721730406_785263d830_o.jpg

I haven't seen these yet so I figured I'd snap some shots side by side with a 9002. This thing in comparison is TINY. With the collection cup it is just about as tall as the 9002 without the collection cup. It may be a hair wider but I can't tell for sure with the rounded edges.

14742371004_1897e9761f_o.jpg

14558080758_3d76cc1f2d_o.jpg

Here it is in action:

14741582131_d8d6bd20d5_o.jpg(11)

14558118899_b600e82283_o.jpg

I'm loving the low profile. Where it's positioned it can barely be seen when looking right at the display.

14741582471_060c9d5f73_o.jpg

Pros:

• I love the small size of this skimmer. I'm running it in the second chamber along with an IM desktop reactor. With the 9002 it was almost impossible to get to the reactor or the skimmer for cleaning due to the size of the skimmer. I can just about get my hand in between them now.
  • THIS THING IS QUIET! Immediately the noise from the tank drastically dropped. I didn't realize how loud my 9002 was until I plugged this in. With the lid on I swear this thing isn't even audible over the reactor and return pumps. And it's not even broken in yet.
  • The foaming action is nice. I can tell it'll foam up a lot better than the 9002 already. Really thick and dense. Nice.
  • The build quality is pretty solid
  • I turned the intake nozzle around from how it comes from the factory. Just thought of something. For those that run bio pellets, the ability to position the intake near the outflow of a reactor is probably a nice benefit. With the 9002 there was no flexibility to do this.

​Cons:

• The air hose seems to easily pull off of the pump. I wish it was more secure. The same goes for the lid. If you turn the pump on without the cup in place, the bubbles are enough force to pop the cover off
  • It's minor but I'm used to my InTank cup. The lid on the cup sits really tight. If you try to take the lid off the whole cup comes off. I like the ability to just lift the lid off with one hand and turkey-baste out the skimmate.

Steve maybe you can improve upon the skimmer cup with one of your own! I'll be back with more impressions once this thing really breaks in. That's all for now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days and it looks like I'm already getting some dark skimmate. I'll post pictures later. I actually did get some micro bubbles but I attribute it to me fiddling with the positioning and accidentally knocking the collection cup off a couple times. They have all dissipated in the last 24 hours so I'm really happy about that.

So far I have to say I'm happy with it although I did make one adjustment. I found the airflow screw was not all that effective when I tried to control the flow. The tube isn't seated perfectly in the bracket so a lot of times the screw only clamps down on 3/4 of the tube and doesn't fully pinch it. So I pulled off the silencer and attached the air tube to a clamp-on 2 station adjustable air valve that I was using for my 9002 and it's much easier to dial in. I don't notice any difference in noise either.

I'm still not a fan of the collection cup itself. I'm used to InTank's cup. There really is no neck on the cup like on the InTank cups so it comes off the skimmer too easily and I know its all in my head, but I feel like it's kind of floating on top and not seated perfectly. And as I mentioned earlier, the lid sits completely flush with the cup and almost snaps into place so it's impossible to remove it with one hand without lifting up the whole cup and spilling bubbles into the chamber. Not a huge deal but still something that bugs me.

The cup is a two handed job and the lid fits on tight. Maybe we can look at an upgrade if there is enough demand. I don't know if a tube going into the body would effect performance but it's something we can play with.

Broodc- I have my IM reactor and tunze 9001 setup the same way in the same chamber in my nuvo 24. Great minds think alike. =)

I agree the skimmer itself is quiet (replaced the IM desktop skimmer). Now I'm getting a lot of water noise as water flows over the magnet and into the return flow pump chamber. Are you experiencing similar?

Also what media do you run in your reactor? I'm currently running both carbon and gfo.

Raise your water level up to over the wall to reduce any waterfall noise. You can add while the filtration pump is on.

Broodc- I have my IM reactor and tunze 9001 setup the same way in the same chamber in my nuvo 24. Great minds think alike. =)

I agree the skimmer itself is quiet (replaced the IM desktop skimmer). Now I'm getting a lot of water noise as water flows over the magnet and into the return flow pump chamber. Are you experiencing similar?

Also what media do you run in your reactor? I'm currently running both carbon and gfo.

I too get a lot of water noise as water goes over the magnet. But it's not any louder than the water going over the magnet from the 9002. It is annoying though and so I may take Steve's suggestion and raise my water level up to reduce the noise. It looks like there may be just enough room to side-mount a thinner magnet similar to how Stevie did his. it would have to be pretty thin though. I still hate the cup... I'd rather have a clear cup with a green lid...hint hint Stevie.

And to your last question, I actually have two desktop reactors. The other one is in the second chamber on the other side. I run GFO and carbon separately. I use BRS ROX and the high capacity GFO. It amounts to about 2 table spoons of each, given our tanks' water volume. With that little material the little desktop pump is able to easily tumble the GFO and I get really good flow through the non-tumbling carbon. And while we're at it, I run floss and purigen in my intank media baskets.

PorkchopExpress

I just bought this too to replace my old 9002 in my RSM 130D. It definitely is built way better than the 9002. The 9002 would fall apart in your hands if you just looked at it funny. This guy is also smaller and very quiet. However, the collection cup is small. I was used to my inTank collection cup on top of the 9002 and I'd really only pour out the skimmate once every week or so. I'm not sure how often I'll have to clean the cup in the 9001 now since it's roughly half the size.

The foam is way better on the 9001 too. The 9002 produced bubbles and a little foam. The 9001 produces foam foam.

I know this thing is rated up to 37 gallon tanks and the RSM is 34 but does anyone think it might be too small for it? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

I'm very satisfied with my 9001. I had micro bubbles for a little bit but I noticed they completely went away when I raised the water level in the final chamber. I did it really to reduce noise from the water flowing over the magnet but as a side effect, all micro bubbling went away. I don't know if that answers your question about sensitivity to water level since I haven't moved it since placing it in my tank 2 weeks ago.

I have a question about setup, I see three options and I really don't understand which one I should use?

They have standard, contact foam and then the surface attachment. Does it really matter?

This will be in one of the second chambers of my IM 30L?

Well just installed and this will not fit in second chamber in the 30L, had to go in the main Center chamber. No big deal just had to move a couple things around.

This does however prevent the use of the surface skimmer attachment due to width with it on.

I have a newb question on the 9001. I have a 12 long and I just installed a 9001 into the corner of the tank. Unless I move a bunch of live rock, it looks like the skimmer will have to sit a bit higher than the suggested water line (by maybe an inch). Will this effect the functionality of the skimmer?

Thanks!

It should just produce a dryer skimmate mine sits a hair above water line and works fine.

Thanks! I'll run it for a couple days and see how it does.

Pesciolino69

Thanks for your review. I think I am going to replace my Hydor with this. In Italy very interesting has a price, less than 90 €

A few days and it looks like I'm already getting some dark skimmate. I'll post pictures later. I actually did get some micro bubbles but I attribute it to me fiddling with the positioning and accidentally knocking the collection cup off a couple times. They have all dissipated in the last 24 hours so I'm really happy about that.

So far I have to say I'm happy with it although I did make one adjustment. I found the airflow screw was not all that effective when I tried to control the flow. The tube isn't seated perfectly in the bracket so a lot of times the screw only clamps down on 3/4 of the tube and doesn't fully pinch it. So I pulled off the silencer and attached the air tube to a clamp-on 2 station adjustable air valve that I was using for my 9002 and it's much easier to dial in. I don't notice any difference in noise either.

I'm still not a fan of the collection cup itself. I'm used to InTank's cup. There really is no neck on the cup like on the InTank cups so it comes off the skimmer too easily and I know its all in my head, but I feel like it's kind of floating on top and not seated perfectly. And as I mentioned earlier, the lid sits completely flush with the cup and almost snaps into place so it's impossible to remove it with one hand without lifting up the whole cup and spilling bubbles into the chamber. Not a huge deal but still something that bugs me.

Im a nubbie when it comes to skimmers as i just installed my first one, the Tunze 9001, in a IM Micro 30 and have some questions about the unit.

First is i too have micro bubbles in my tank, its been running for 18 hours now so im not sure how long i should put up with them before making any changes.

Because its in the skimmer chamber im not to sure if i have it at the right height.

Also i have not touched the adjustment screw yet as i do not know what adjustment is needed.

My set up is as follows:

Water intake facing towards the tank, opposite of the magnet

Plastic outlet cover outlet not installed

Skimmer level at indicator

After 18 hours my collection cup seems to have a little in it, color is a bit brown like dirty water. Seems to be bubbling but not up to the top of cup.

Is this what i should be getting, do i need to adjust height, pump position or just wait for more break in?

Pics below, thanks i. Advance for all of your help/advice

post-82698-0-34776200-1409349306_thumb.jpg

post-82698-0-39561800-1409349325_thumb.jpg

i have been looking at this, great review and this had made my mind up to get one. Just one question about noise, do you think its quiet enough to have in a bedroom? my tanks in my bedroom and currently i have to keep unplugging my aqua one 90 because it is so loud! and it doesnt really seem to do a lot anyway!

Archived