Innovative Marine Aquariums

NEW Tunze 9001 Initial Review!

broodc2

i have been looking at this, great review and this had made my mind up to get one. Just one question about noise, do you think its quiet enough to have in a bedroom? my tanks in my bedroom and currently i have to keep unplugging my aqua one 90 because it is so loud! and it doesnt really seem to do a lot anyway!

Oh yes, the loudest thing on my tank is the water flow from the surface skimmer to the back water column, the unit is dead silent

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a nubbie when it comes to skimmers as i just installed my first one, the Tunze 9001, in a IM Micro 30 and have some questions about the unit.

First is i too have micro bubbles in my tank, its been running for 18 hours now so im not sure how long i should put up with them before making any changes.

Because its in the skimmer chamber im not to sure if i have it at the right height.

Also i have not touched the adjustment screw yet as i do not know what adjustment is needed.

My set up is as follows:

Water intake facing towards the tank, opposite of the magnet

Plastic outlet cover outlet not installed

Skimmer level at indicator

After 18 hours my collection cup seems to have a little in it, color is a bit brown like dirty water. Seems to be bubbling but not up to the top of cup.

Is this what i should be getting, do i need to adjust height, pump position or just wait for more break in?

Pics below, thanks i. Advance for all of your help/advice

It will take several days to break in. I think StevieT has a review where he talks about where the water line should be.

broodc2,

So this skimmer is on a Nuvo Nano 24 right?

I didn't think it would fit because of the skimmers 3" width, but now I thinking I'll put one on my Fusion 20....

Will this fit in the coralife biocube 29 I want to get a better one just don't know what fits I'm limited with the all In one type tank?

Yes it fits

broodc2,

So this skimmer is on a Nuvo Nano 24 right?

I didn't think it would fit because of the skimmers 3" width, but now I thinking I'll put one on my Fusion 20....

On IM 24

20140828_184923-1.jpg

I posted this in the sponsor forum intank 9001 thread. Stevie or any of you other guys...Could you help me with this issue? I can't get the cup to stop overflowing with water and foam, no matter what I do or adjust. I have read that you should run your skimmer during the cycle, and others say not too. Any help would be appreciated.

post-85475-0-20949100-1410108322_thumb.jpg

Well,you can raise the skimmer height I run mine a bit above the water line and I get nice dry skim,also open the air line completely. Have you been adding anything to the tank? Sometimes that will make the skimmer whacky.

Thanks for the replies fellas...Another question is that the air line valve doesn't seem to be working. If I turn the blue knob all the way off and pinch the tube it does nothing to decrease the bubbles. I did check and make sure the tube was connected to the top of the in flow.

As far as the height, my issue is that on my 30L the skimmer can only fit in the middle of the return, and I cannot attach it to the back of the glass using the magnet as the tank is not wide enough. the 2nd chamber that I can attach it to does not come up very high so I am limited to how high I van go up. Following Tunze's recommendation though, I do have the bottom of the cup resting about a 1/2" below the water line.

I was having issues with this on my 30L also until I tuned the pump around, intake pointed into cup.

I also have it in the center chamber, now it runs fine.

i have been looking at this, great review and this had made my mind up to get one. Just one question about noise, do you think its quiet enough to have in a bedroom? my tanks in my bedroom and currently i have to keep unplugging my aqua one 90 because it is so loud! and it doesnt really seem to do a lot anyway!

The noise level is non existent. I have it in my fluval M60's fist chamber and the sound of the skimmer if any dies down with the ambient noise.

I was having issues with this on my 30L also until I tuned the pump around, intake pointed into cup.

I also have it in the center chamber, now it runs fine.

Thanks...That helped a lot. My only issue now and it it's a big one is that the silencer knob does not do a damn thing. I understand there might be a break in period, but even if I crank the knob all the way closed, the speed of the foam pouring out is the same. if I kink the hose onto itself using my fingers, the foam slows down to a crawl. I see that the knob screw when turned, does not bite down on the center of the air tube. Any of you guys have any ideas?

Well, I think I fixed the silencer issue as well. I guess I had the skimmer too low as others suggested. Moving it higher, I was able to utilize the silencer and stop the impeller from foaming. The problem is that the side 2nd chamber that I have to attach to is fairly low and the height I have to have the skimmer at, the magnets barely touch, so the skimmer is not very secure or level. I wish we could mount the skimmer magnet side and different points to aid in installation.

Just wanted to update again as hopefully to help out the ones who have similar setups experiencing these issues. i know it's been documented on these forums regarding the water line level and people wishing it could be higher due to the orientation of the overflows. I contacted IM, and spoke with a tech who said I could fill the tank to as high as I wanted and it would not impede circulation. Naturally when I filled my tank, I filled it almost to the top. Well, I just removed about 3 gallons and the water level is considerably lower. I can now though, orient the skimmer lower in the tank and it seems to be working better. I still need to break it in I guess, but just wanted to point this out as well.

installed mine around 3 days ago and i'm still getting micorbubbles something fierce. all the talk of waterline/placement in this thread has me so confused. am i wrong for thinking the actual water level where the skimmer is placed should be parallel with the wavy water line marked on the unit? or should the skimmer be placed lower or higher than this?

right now i have it set up for 'standard skimming' where the intake is on one side and the output is on the other with the clear plastic shield attached. it's in a biocube 29 in the second chamber (with an intank media basket) a super tight squeeze and pretty difficult to adjust so i'd love to figure out the best placement so i can set it and forget it.

also, the collection cup seems to be pretty watery...like halfway filled up after 10-12 hours. that seems excessive?

this is my first skimmer so if any of this seems obvious, i apologize. i've tried googling and there just isn't enough info or feedback online about this model yet.

the microbubbles are making my otherwise clear tank look hazy and it sucks :( i stuck my iphone behind the tank to use my camera and get a look at what's going on and the bubbles are just POURING out.

• 2 weeks later...

installed mine around 3 days ago and i'm still getting micorbubbles something fierce. all the talk of waterline/placement in this thread has me so confused. am i wrong for thinking the actual water level where the skimmer is placed should be parallel with the wavy water line marked on the unit? or should the skimmer be placed lower or higher than this?

right now i have it set up for 'standard skimming' where the intake is on one side and the output is on the other with the clear plastic shield attached. it's in a biocube 29 in the second chamber (with an intank media basket) a super tight squeeze and pretty difficult to adjust so i'd love to figure out the best placement so i can set it and forget it.

also, the collection cup seems to be pretty watery...like halfway filled up after 10-12 hours. that seems excessive?

this is my first skimmer so if any of this seems obvious, i apologize. i've tried googling and there just isn't enough info or feedback online about this model yet.

the microbubbles are making my otherwise clear tank look hazy and it sucks :( i stuck my iphone behind the tank to use my camera and get a look at what's going on and the bubbles are just POURING out.

Did you ever figure this out, I have a biocube 29 and having microbubble issues. Seems to be pouring right out of the intake.

still got microbubbles. not a massive amount, but still enough to annoy me. i'm not really sure what else i can do at this point...maybe contact tunze? i'm to the point where i think i should be past any 'breaking in' period.

Have you closed the air adjustment all the way? On my 9002, I just barely open mine. If I open it all the way, water will pour out of the cup and cause micro bubbles. Once the skimmer has had time to break in, I will adjust the air valve again. I usually have to do this especillay after a thorough cleaning of the skimmer and cup.

Also have you tried raising the skimmer itself?

Just some things to consider......

Have you closed the air adjustment all the way? On my 9002, I just barely open mine. If I open it all the way. water will por out of the cup and cause micro bubbles. Also have you tried raising the skimmer itself?

+1

Have you closed the air adjustment all the way? On my 9002, I just barely open mine. If I open it all the way, water will pour out of the cup and cause micro bubbles. Once the skimmer has had time to break in, I will adjust the air valve again. I usually have to do this especillay after a thorough cleaning of the skimmer and cup.

Also have you tried raising the skimmer itself?

I've done some testing to try and figure this out. I pulled the skimmer out of the back of the tank and put it in the front so I could see better while trying some stuff. Put it in the tank at the water mark level on the case wide open and microbubbles just pouring out the bottom (removable clear plastic piece at the bottom) collection cup doesn't overflow but tons of bubbles are pouring out of the bottom. Raised the level of the skimmer higher and lower and no help. Put it back at the water mark level and closed the air valve and same thing. The only thing I can do to help is to rotate the pump so that the inlet faces the removable plastic piece which seems to suck all those bubbles back into the pump. Which orientation are you all using? Does it seem normal that with the "standard" configuration to get all of these bubbles? Looking over the manual it talks about bubbles coming out of that section that it could be caused from startup phase but I've had this thing for a few weeks already.

I've done some testing to try and figure this out. I pulled the skimmer out of the back of the tank and put it in the front so I could see better while trying some stuff. Put it in the tank at the water mark level on the case wide open and microbubbles just pouring out the bottom (removable clear plastic piece at the bottom) collection cup doesn't overflow but tons of bubbles are pouring out of the bottom. Raised the level of the skimmer higher and lower and no help. Put it back at the water mark level and closed the air valve and same thing. The only thing I can do to help is to rotate the pump so that the inlet faces the removable plastic piece which seems to suck all those bubbles back into the pump. Which orientation are you all using? Does it seem normal that with the "standard" configuration to get all of these bubbles? Looking over the manual it talks about bubbles coming out of that section that it could be caused from startup phase but I've had this thing for a few weeks already.

had to do the same thing.

Hmmmm..... Micro-bubbles in the display is not good. This is usually people complain about while using skimmers, but they usually stop after a day or 2.

I was looking at getting one of these to replace the 'ol 9002, but I think I'll wait and see what other experiences people are having.

Hope you get it figured out.

I'm having the same issue with bubbles. I can mess around with it to get diminished bubbles but they wont go away completely. Going on day 4 now. I actually took it out of my tank after getting frustrated. I didn't try it with the air hose closed off, or slightly open, like others have but when I close it, it puts out crazy bubbles. I will give it a try tho. I was actually worried that I had put it together wrong but after consulting the manual it looks like I did it right....

Archived