Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 Bangaii Cardinals in MB7?

speed_freak03

speed_freak03

Hello all, I currently have one Bangaii Cardinal in my MB7 and I want to get a tank mate for it. The fish is atleast 3 years old if it makes a difference.

Do you think another Bangaii Cardinal would be ok in the tank with it, Or should I go with something like a cleaner or catalina goby. I am just worried about there not being enough space for the two cardinals.

Thanks for any help.

speed_freak03
Originally posted by darkspyda

catalinas need cooler temp around 72-75 F..  just so you know.

Yes i know..thanks though:P

Bangii's get big mine were close to 4" or so inches when i finally got rid of them and if you don't get to opposite sex bangii's they will kill each other.

xien2000corp

bangaiis do very well in smaller tanks because they are not what you call "active" swimmers. they are much like clowns in that they tend to stay in a certain area for much of their time.

now im saying go and put 5 bangaiis in a 1 gallon jug but i think that adding a second to your mb7 will be fine just as long as you dont have any other aggressive fish that will chase them, they become extremely stressed if they dont have sufficient space to make a getaway.

hth, steve

xien2000corp

[edit] im NOT saying go and put 5 bangaiis in a 1 gallon jug........sheesh, youd think that if i were to make a mistake in my last post it wouldnt be THAT! :P

-steve

speed_freak03

I think i might get another cardinal. My cardinal is only 2-3 inches and has stopped growing. I think the tank is limiting his size.

Also...is it true that 2 female or 1m and 1f get along, but if its 2 males in the same tank they will fight?

Thanks

speed_freak03
Originally posted by xien2000corp

[edit] im NOT saying go and put 5 bangaiis in a 1 gallon jug........sheesh, youd think that if i were to make a mistake in my last post it wouldnt be THAT! :P

-steve

haha...i didnt even catch it at first, i read it as dont put in 5.:P

are you seirous, we are talking a 7 gallon tank, Bangii's require a good amount of food, two fish that can grow to be 4x4x.5 in captivity in a 7 gallon, and yes they are active they are more active then most people assume they are noctornal.

this is my tank when i just switched from the 55

fulltank.jpg look at the size of those bangii's, and they grew much bigger then that before I traded them away due to a fact that they were TO BIG FOR MY 55... I wouldn't put very many fish in a 7 gallon, A goby maybe.. that's about it.. I had a 7 gallon Alife tank, and to think stuffing to bangii's in there makes me sick.

The bottom line is this, IF you want advice from somebody that has both owned bangii's and OWNED a 7 gallon tank and kept them both running from a fair amount of time not to include went to the trouble of Pairing up bangii's listen to ME.

1. YOUR TANK IS TO SMALL for 1 BANGII let alon 2

2. BANGII'S WILL FIGHT, trying to pair up two in a tank that Small is a death SENTANCE, Either the stress of keeping them in such a small area with cause them to get ich, AND YEA Bangii's sure love them ICH. or They will KILL EACH OTHER!

Originally posted by speed_freak03

I think i might get another cardinal. My cardinal is only 2-3 inches and has stopped growing. I think the tank is limiting his size.  

Also...is it true that 2 female or 1m and 1f get along, but if its 2 males in the same tank they will fight?

Thanks

NO! They either live in Schools or Pairs, the females will kill each other or the males will kill each other, they only reason why they can live in schools is because it's to hard for the domante pair to beat the crap out of all the other fish. 3 Bangii's will quickly become 2 bangii's

Originally posted by xien2000corp

bangaiis do very well in smaller tanks because they are not what you call "active" swimmers. they are much like clowns in that they tend to stay in a certain area for much of their time.

now im saying go and put 5 bangaiis in a 1 gallon jug but i think that adding a second to your mb7 will be fine just as long as you dont have any other aggressive fish that will chase them, they become extremely stressed if they dont have sufficient space to make a getaway.

hth, steve

Unless you have experience keeping bangii's for a fair amount of time please prove me wrong,but I most strongy disagree with the above statements.

xien2000corp

brahm,

you are correct in saying that an mb7 is too small for adult bangaiis. i guess i was under the impression that the question was concerning younger bangaiis. you are correct that tank size will not limit their growth. if they are larger than an inch i dont think it prudent to add another(im not entirely convinced that leaving the single individual is bad though)

i dont have expereince with bangaii's or mb7's(as of yet) but i have in the past kept a pair of pajama cardinals in a 10 gallon that spawned quite happily under my care(they bred three times before i traded them off, i wasnt prepared for the young they produced though :( )

its up to you to make the decision but in serious concern for the hobby and that of our pets i would go with the more experienced person in this specific field(that would be brahm)

now if youre talkin about pj cards in a 10 gallon im your man! ;)

-steve

speed_freak03

brahm....everyone has different experencies with fish. Mine is my Bangaii cardinal living in a MB7 for 2 years and 1 year in a eclipse 3 gallon. So to tell me my fish is stressed and is going to grow 1.5 more inches is bull. Go join PETA is you have such a problem with this, and dont even keep any fish in any tank ever, because there is no tank as big as the ocean.

I think i am not going to get a bangaii cardinal now though. I cant find tank raised ones anywhere, except for the at tropicorium (huge coral place local to me, and they breed lots of saltwater fish there) and there only open certain hours on certain days to the public.

I am going to get a cleaner, catalina, or this red headed goby we have at my work.

Originally posted by speed_freak03

brahm....everyone has different experencies with fish. Mine is my Bangaii cardinal living in a MB7 for 2 years and 1 year in a eclipse 3 gallon. So to tell me my fish is stressed and is going to grow 1.5 more inches is bull. Go join PETA is you have such a problem with this, and dont even keep any fish in any tank ever, because there is no tank as big as the ocean.

I think i am not going to get a bangaii cardinal now though. I cant find tank raised ones anywhere, except for the at tropicorium (huge coral place local to me, and they breed lots of saltwater fish there) and there only open certain hours on certain days to the public.  

I am going to get a cleaner, catalina, or this red headed goby we have at my work.

your fishes growth has been stunted by pathetic evivorment you've placed it in. I have no problem keeping bangii's in captivity, specially since many are captive bred. But sticking a fish at it's juvinelle state in a tank that is to small for it, and then stunting it's growth.. and saying Oh it's not going to go grow anymore it's happy. Isn't right either. But seriously don't go telling me what i can or can't do your the one who asked for advice you don't like the answer you get deal with it. It's obvious that you have no regard for the animals lives that are in your care. The mere fact that your keeping a fish in a 3 gallon that grows up to 4+ inches, and i've even shown a picture of them IN captivity at that size show's your full of it. Those fish were captive bred, and they grew that big in my tank they weren't massive fish that i just tossed in there.

Originally posted by kris_willard

Oh brahm go save the whales somewhere else. Isn't there some big  tree you should be chaining yourself to?

...don't be an ass, He asked a question I gave an answer don't go crying and getting all defesive cause you don't like what i have to say.

kris_willard

At which a point your beating a dead horse.

Originally posted by brahm

...He asked a question I gave an answer ...

and an answer...

and an answer...

and an answer...

and an answer...

and an answer...

and an answer...

we get the point.

Listen man, you don't like what i have to say, don't read the thread, nobody is forcing you to, he responded I responded back, just as i'm doing with you. We don't need to hear you drumming on about how you kept a bangii in a shot glass, and how you think by me giving people DECENT advice on proper care for animals makes me some tree hugging hippy.

kris_willard

look out its green peace. OK ever body tee up your balls and SCHWACK... FOUR!!!!

U sit here and trash this guy for keeping a fish in a 7gal nano tank. Are you forgetting which forum your on? And then i say i have one in a 5.5gal and you tell me im "sad" and dont expect a response. If you would have kept it reasonable and didnt start flaming ppl (including me) you wouldnt hear me "drumming".

Ha, ok, I said it's sad being for the poor fish in the little bitty tank, Not your sad.. You took it to a personal level. Yes I know what forum i'm on.. nano-"REEF" not NANO-SHOVE A 4" FISH INTO a 3" tank" and who the hell ar you, the spokeperson for the "right to abuse animals coalition? Get over yourself, your the only one drumming on maybe it's the guilt that compels you to lash out.

brahm has a point, and he's only voicing his opinions b/c he is concerned for the fish. i too believe we should keep our fish in their most natural environments. big fish belong in big tanks (or even better, the OCEAN)... how would u feel if you were kept in a closet for the rest of your life? we are responsible for the lives of other animals... it's only fair we give them the best.

Archived