Pod Your Reef

wildbill79's Reef - Lettin' It Grow Out

wildbill79

I do mix my water in the rear chambers. The one thing that I don't do is keep my parameters as close as possible to the new water during a water change…. I definitely need to start dosing. I know thisnis the reason that my carp is brown as well. It was brown when I bought it, but it hasn't gotten any better. I will try to get on it as soon as possible.

I pour my water in on top of the powerhead so that no coral is getting a direct hit.

And I too, do not try to match tank parameters, other than salinity.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pour my water in on top of the powerhead so that no coral is getting a direct hit.

And I too, do not try to match tank parameters, other than salinity.

I am kind of learning as I go on this. I understand that a swing in alk from a water change will stress corals. I am going to start dosing, but I really don't know where to start. The Red Sea alk kit that I have came with a buffer, but I don't know if that is enough. I am going to have to do more research on it.

Nothing new. Heading to the LFS tomorrow, so I may pick something up. Took some pics when I was feeding yesterday. First real tries at some top-down shots. Quite a bit harder in a Biocube.

topdownwholetank0934242.jpg

topdown0239428340982384234.jpg

top_down029342340923042034.jpg

Plate, crushing some mysis shrimp.

full_plate.jpg

Acan got some too.

acanfront20392934234.jpg

Torch got several pieces.

torch_knarly.jpg

I really don't feed that often, but I need to start more. My wife actually enjoys it when I do. She is amazed that the corals actually eat! I think it is pretty cool too. I will probably post tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

I know I've said it before... but that teeny tiny plate is the cutest!! :wub:

Knowing how small that plate is really puts the size of the Blastos in perspective. They are tiny!

what kind of orange zoas are those? they look really nice!

I am not sure what they are. The color is not perfect in this picture, but here is a couple of better shots of them. They were dark blue in the center with really bright orange skirts. They have faded a litte, but still pretty bright. Again, they are nameless.

orange456456465456456.jpg

orangeside35435435354354.jpg

I took this shot and I was going back and looking at old pictures. Here is a comparison of one of the blue birdsnests. First shot is from 8/24 and the other is from this morning. 4.5 months of growth. I have started dosing so maybe I will start getting more consistent growth.

birdsnest3_824.jpg

bluebird9678566444444444.jpg

I believe that today was the first day that I went to the LFS without picking up livestock. Sort of sad. I j got some long tongs for target feeding and some more Red Sea foundation B for Alk. I am trying to make Alk coletely stable in my tank. I did my water change today and the tank was 10.5 dKh and the water was 10dkh. The reaction of the corals were much better than all of my last changes. Hopefully this will appease my Acro and montis that I have I the tank. I bought an acro like 5 or 6 months ago that was brown. It has encrusted and seems ok, but is still brown and really hasn't grown much. I just want to see what color it really is! I think that I am taking the right steps, but, for now, alk is the only thing that I am testing and dosing.

Love the little plate and the orange blue zoas! And the bird's nests are showing good growth. I can't wait to see mine grow, too!

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a couple of weeks since I have updated. I have made a few changes.

First up, as usual, my little plate. It is getting so big!

plate0392333333.jpg

I moved the green birdsnest from the top rock to the bottom. It seemed to be bleaching on the inside of its branches. The color seems to be doing better now.

FTS02938423423234234234.jpg

Zoa Rock.

zoarock023942342342.jpg

newzoa2038492323243423434.jpg

new_zoa2093429083948234234234.jpg

Tangelos recovering. They have had a hard life.

tangelos203942093840283423.jpg

The Jedi Mindtrick has started to get it green color back. Was browning pretty bad. I think that it has really helped that I have started dosing.

mindtricklw0e9234234234.jpg

mindtrick3294209342342.jpg

Here are my Ric Florida and Yumas. I have added a red shroom as well.

shroomsdunc0897234234423.jpg

yuma020382323234234234234234.jpg

FTS

fts2309482342342342342.jpg

I will probably be updating later today as well.

Thanks for looking!

Looking great. I've been thinking about alk as well. Are you just using Red Sea B? And dosing manually? Is that a pain?

I've been thinking about trying to add it to my ATO and have it dosed through top offs.

Looking great. I've been thinking about alk as well. Are you just using Red Sea B? And dosing manually? Is that a pain?

I've been thinking about trying to add it to my ATO and have it dosed through top offs.

Yeah, I am just dosing Red Sea B for now. I am seeing a difference. Things are coloring up and I think the tank is way more stable. I am doing it manually and, no, it's not really a pain. I am testing 4 times a week and I dose then. I know what is being depleted per day, and it would be easier to have it done automatically, but this is fine by me. Things are doing much better. I was doing such large water changes and the alk swings were messing with the tank. I would suggest it for sure.

Love that little plate! And the ric rock is bubblicious.

Thanks! That is the far side of the zoa rock at the bottom. I am loving it. Things are starting to fill in nicely! Thanks for the nice words!

I took some random shots tonight and I also picked up some Acan Lords from the LFS today. They are really green, which doesn't really come across in this picture. Here they are:

acan2.jpg

Dosing has really helped this guy. Not that much better,but,much lighter. Not near as brown as it was when I got it.

acro2039823723723772323723723.jpg

Green Birdsnest is happy at the bottom of the tank.

birdsnest23472342342342342342342.jpg

A shot across the top.

bluebird02934242723723723.jpg

Snail-bomb!!

snail02389290834029834098234.jpg

G'Night Folks! Go Wildcats!

Looking good! The Acro is plating quite nicely. Mine has yet to do that.

It took it a while, but after a month or so, it took off. If I had been dosing from the start it probably would have moved along faster. Really unstable tank at first. Your tank is looking really good!

• 2 months later...

Archived