Coral Vue Hydros

Budget Nuvo 16 (Pics of new premium snowflakes)

lilmatty5dimes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pesciolino69
that might work out. need to find a sweet looking torch first. lol the other thing would be a goby/shrimp pair. i just don't want my tank to look like a snow globe again after the last pair.

sorry what do you mean?

Sorry, but I do not talk English, so I confused Now with New.

lilmatty5dimes

Hello first, congratulations on the tank. I read in the description that uses new Tunze 3152, would you meet desvrivere the differences?

oh sorry i didn't know what you were saying here.

lilmatty5dimes

How you get free tank hook me up bro lol

i sold a friend some cars down the street and he is upgrading to a deep blue 75g and this was sitting in his garage. he listed for $40 on a local forum and no one bought it so thursday he posted it as a curb alert for the morning. called him up made a beer and picked it up. lol just need to figure out the return pieces cause nothing came with the tank.

Great looking tank

thanks. check out my old retired tank if you want to see a nicer one. lol

Need some help. just got this skimmer and its working great(pics below) microbubbles are a lil bit of a pain but i can stand it. the question is how important are skimmers for reef tanks. should i keep this or sell it(already have a buyer).

here is how its producing skimmate.

8/12

IMG_0893_zps3d6b7313.jpg

just now

IMG_0908_zpsdf270a56.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

took a few pics also tonight since i had the camera out.

rbta has moved up and a lil over. guess the rw4 is to much flow for him.

IMG_0897_zpsd78e34d5.jpg

IMG_0901_zps6d8762da.jpg

red scooter

IMG_0898_zps5e2e7efd.jpg

both frogspawns

IMG_0907_zps35d2699e.jpg

female clown(bully)

IMG_0906_zps3a79e89c.jpg

i sold a friend some cars down the street and he is upgrading to a deep blue 75g and this was sitting in his garage. he listed for $40 on a local forum and no one bought it so thursday he posted it as a curb alert for the morning. called him up made a beer and picked it up. lol just need to figure out the return pieces cause nothing came with the tank.

thanks. check out my old retired tank if you want to see a nicer one. lol

Need some help. just got this skimmer and its working great(pics below) microbubbles are a lil bit of a pain but i can stand it. the question is how important are skimmers for reef tanks. should i keep this or sell it(already have a buyer).

here is how its producing skimmate.

8/12

IMG_0893_zps3d6b7313.jpg

just now

IMG_0908_zpsdf270a56.jpg

that is actually pretty good skim mate production from that skimmer. Mine never did anything near as well. The micro bubble issue is one that may never fully go away. the baffle system doesn't prevent the bubbles from going into the return pump, really not much you can do. I think skimmers are very effective way to remove organic waste, and are definitely important for a reef tank, especially if you're going to keep more demanding corals. In a small tank you can up the water change schedule to mitigate the lack of a skimmer. I ran without one for over a year and most everything did pretty well.

lilmatty5dimes
that is actually pretty good skim mate production from that skimmer. Mine never did anything near as well. The micro bubble issue is one that may never fully go away. the baffle system doesn't prevent the bubbles from goin into the return pump, really not much you can do. I think skimmers are very effective way to remove organic waste, and are definitely important for a reef tank, especially if you're going to keep more demanding corals. In a small tank you can up the water change schedule to mitigate the lack of a skimmer. I ran without one for over a year and most everything did pretty well.

thanks. Its quite a bit of skimmate. Thats why I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not I want to keep the skimmer. The bubbles are about the same and looks like some are getting trapped under the rocks. I'm really thinking about going back to a 3 tbsp of gfo and carbon in a bag and put in the caddy. I'll just have to keep up with my WC's and speaking of that finally got around to doing one and the tank is starting to get some bad algae. Going to start doing bi weekly WC's until its gone. I'm hoping to be able to find a few sps corals locally to start a lil collection. How do these look. I know there's a few other but 4/5off this list should be perfect for now.

red planet

joe the coral

raspberry nasuta

pink lemonade

strawberry shortcake

aqua delight

pearlberry

crayola

If you want a skimmer you can go with one of the bigger HOB's. Like Reef Octopus or Aquamaxx HOB. They have built in baffles that will stop micro bubbles. Red planet is tough, need really clean and stable tank to keep PE and color. Joe the coral grew great in my tank and had decent PE, I can recommend that one. SSC and pink lemonade are pretty much the same, also need clean and stable to keep color, but seems a little more hardy than red planet to me. I haven't kept any of the other sps on that list, so I can't really comment on them.

Keeping a regular water change schedule is key to keeping a clean, low nutrient, and healthy environment. I performed a 2.5 gallon water change every day. This equalled 17.5 gallons per week. It might have been a bit excessive but I certainly cannot complain with the results. The very picky SPS coral did well under these conditions. I also performed these daily water changes because I fed the corals and fish in my aquarium heavily. Food for the softies, LPS, gorgonians, and fish, clean water and low nutrients for the SPS.

The IM skimmer performed well for me as well, producing dark skimmate but did produce a few bubbles in the tank. Then one day it started overflowing and having issues. It was a daily battle trying to get it dialed in. Hopefully this won't happen to you, but some of the choices of skimmers others recommended might be good for your tank.

Looking forward to the additions of your SPS frags.

• 2 weeks later...
lilmatty5dimes

If you want a skimmer you can go with one of the bigger HOB's. Like Reef Octopus or Aquamaxx HOB. They have built in baffles that will stop micro bubbles. Red planet is tough, need really clean and stable tank to keep PE and color. Joe the coral grew great in my tank and had decent PE, I can recommend that one. SSC and pink lemonade are pretty much the same, also need clean and stable to keep color, but seems a little more hardy than red planet to me. I haven't kept any of the other sps on that list, so I can't really comment on them.

thanks for the advice. i know the ssc is a tough one. i had one rtn on my old tank luckily for me the lfs gave me another frag of it. of course i also bought 3 ora clams from him. i had a red planet and Joe(two of my favorite) as well. they did great till i started slacking on the WC and then it started to brown out. but after a few weeks it came right back up to color. i'll try for the red planet and joe first to make sure everything is up to par. i found a guy who has these just waiting for them to grow out a lil more and color up. Ora Red Planet, Ora Joe the coral, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Ora Pearlberry, Aqua delight acro, and Ora Strawberry Shortcake guess i'll need to get my tank top notice son. lol

Keeping a regular water change schedule is key to keeping a clean, low nutrient, and healthy environment. I performed a 2.5 gallon water change every day. This equalled 17.5 gallons per week. It might have been a bit excessive but I certainly cannot complain with the results. The very picky SPS coral did well under these conditions. I also performed these daily water changes because I fed the corals and fish in my aquarium heavily. Food for the softies, LPS, gorgonians, and fish, clean water and low nutrients for the SPS.

The IM skimmer performed well for me as well, producing dark skimmate but did produce a few bubbles in the tank. Then one day it started overflowing and having issues. It was a daily battle trying to get it dialed in. Hopefully this won't happen to you, but some of the choices of skimmers others recommended might be good for your tank.

Looking forward to the additions of your SPS frags.

thanks. thats a good routine you had. i might try that and do a gallon a day. my only problem is i use RC salt and after about 3 days mixing the bucket will get some brown stuff in there. maybe i'll have to use a spare ten gallon tank and do the mixing in there and see if i see any differences. i wonder if having a lid on top of the bucket causes the brown stuff or what. probably ask in the forum and see what the experiences of other is.

i sold the skimmer. i think it was causing more issues than anything plus the bubbles were a PITA so sold her off. it did produce some good skimmate tho.

that bubble tip is badasss

i've got better pics of it that are a lot better. i'm thinking of selling it tho. it moves around way to much in the tank and if i get the sps frags can't have that. of course if i got my light back from a friend i could start up that 12g cadlight(naked) tank and start a anemone tank since i got this for $5.

lilmatty5dimes

hows that rw4 working out?

awesome. its on the lowest setting and pulsing about in the middle. def buying another when i upgrade to a different tank. the only bad thing is its on full power when you first plug it in. caused a huge wave quickly

lilmatty5dimes

had a friend buy a 60g rimless tank for a great deal(wish i had the money) and got a pair of cleaner shrimp and sold them to me for $20. had a pair of clowns with it but didn't want to sell the pair. lol believe it or not after telling me the story with this guy and how bad he got screwed by a lfs(probably one of the biggest stores around) i truly feel sorry for him. spent a ton of money in the hobby and he couldn't keep anything alive. he had a radion over the tank about 12" high with pool screen as a net(really yikes). but he would tell the store and they tell him to buy this test kit and dose went on for awhile. over and over again. his total bill for the tank was probably $4k. has a ton of test kits, reactor, kalk stirrer, and i believe the coral wasn't getting enough light.

but i went over to look at a few pieces he had for sale and i saw a gold torch he had and asked if he would ever frag it to let me know. well after about 15mins of leaving he text and said he could probably get a head off and sell it for $30. WHAT!!! really so hopefully i'll have that next weekend. i think i'm searching for a nice pair of clowns and i'll be pretty happy with the tank again.

but i won a contest on a lfs facebook page for a $25 gift card and got a pretty nice looking acan and a sweet chalice for $17. can't beat that. it sad to see how that store is doing. used to be one of the best around and now it seems to be just getting along.

lilmatty5dimes

We'll looking at my chart sheet for the tank I've done 2 water changes in 2 months. Oh man not good and it's showing. The guy who gave me the 12g cadlights tank set up a new 75g rimless and bought to much premade saltwater so he was selling it cheap and got 20g so I did a 5g WC on Thursday and another last night plannig on doing another 5g tomorrow and then Wednesday to try and get some of the algae gone. It's bad when your powerhead has algae and where ever the flow hits shows algae. Needless to say going to keep up on a 5g WC a week and cleaning stuff a lil more.

I think I've got my bulbs set for when I get my mh/t5 fixture back for the cadlights. Going with a Phoenix hexarc blue and a purple plus in the back and blue plus up front. Maybe a 6500k t5 for more growth. Time will tell.

lilmatty5dimes

Lfs is making a trip down to ORA tomorrow and snowflakes are on sale so guess who's getting a premium pair of snowflakes for a pretty killer deal. Fragged up 3 sunny d frags and 2 cb rainbow infusion frags tonight let see how they do. Also tested my nitrates and they looked to be at 0. That's the first time since I've had this tank. Going to get some new pics up this week with the canon hopefully if it plans well. Probably after Thursday after getting the clowns.

Looking forward to seeing the clowns. We picked up a neon blue goby on Saturday and have it in QT. Plan on moving it to DT in about 2 weeks. It is doing great so far.

lilmatty5dimes

while i was fragging up my zoas the other night i had one head that wouldn't close. i cut it and glued it and it never closed till the lights when out. def a first time for me.

0CA15387-CA9A-420C-899C-D9D44BFAE91A_zps
D2540BBF-6990-4CC4-8C93-9387D92C4732_zps

lilmatty5dimes

well, here are some are shots of the tank and the new pair of clowns i got this week.

clowns

IMG_0774_zps8092a3f3.jpg

IMG_0743_zps087a2202.jpg

top down shot on them. i love the spot on top of the males head.

IMG_0802_zps9a706837.jpg

old chalice and new acan. got that frag and the new chalice frag $15 after a $25 gift card i won. i would say a nice score.

IMG_0789_zps56450251.jpg

new chalice

IMG_0790_zps7f30bf94.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

sneak peak at the new project. lol this is the cad lights 12g tank i got for free. i couldn't find any pieces for the return or anything even after emailing cad light who told me to use some hose???? decided to just gut the tank of the false wall and run a aquaclear 50 on it. the rock i got from trading my old clowns away have a few more pieces but couldn't fit and don't want to break these pieces up now. need a few more pieces of equipment and get my light fixture(mh/t5 combo) back from a friend who is borrowing them.

IMG_0807_zps8f46aa42.jpg

IMG_0808_zps1f46c097.jpg

IMG_0809_zps45fbb1b3.jpg

Archived