Innovative Marine Aquariums

MarquiseO's 30G NUVO Fusion 30L---Firefish jumped ship AGAIN....

ReviloM

I emailed a friend of mine on Auburn, AL about your tanks in case he was interested. He was thinking about getting into the hobby and likes the IM tanks. Hope he contacts you!

Ok. Thanks!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cameron6796

Could you not just tell IM there is a flaw with it and get a new one because that is kind of a dumb reason to restart if they could just send you one that will work better. Could you not also make a custom rack.

Could you not just tell IM there is a flaw with it and get a new one because that is kind of a dumb reason to restart if they could just send you one that will work better. Could you not also make a custom rack.

That's a headache I can avoid with IM. I can just buy a new tank. That's the simplistic way to solve the issue. I bought their "improved racks" that is custom for their product already. I won't spend any more on that take.

StrainedSky

Not sure I understand the design flaw, your the only 30L I've seen with cloudy water. Maybe you have one that's not built right ? If I had the room I too though would go with a sump, so many options.

Not sure I understand the design flaw, your the only 30L I've seen with cloudy water. Maybe you have one that's not built right ? If I had the room I too though would go with a sump, so many options.

I chalked that up to the live rock I used from the LFS but here is a visual aid to help you to better under stand:

14769031614_cb92bf87d1_z.jpg

LEGEND:

Black = Media Rack

Red = Unfavorable flow direction of water

Green = Favorable flow direction of water

1. With the stock media racks, they are just "shitty". They were made "shitty" so that you would in turn buy the "better" option of the media racks. To suit the "shitty" racks, a glass ledge was added to the side of the overflow which is the first flaw for the "better" media racks. The "shitty" racks are really narrow and clog really fast so water eventually just travels over the top and out the sides which behind the the racks is about 2in + of space.

(the media rack on the left of the inTank media rack is the "shitty" one)

IMG_6081.jpg

2. With the "better" media racks, they are a slight improvement with larger media rack space and larger flow holes. The downside is that they do not fit snug into the intake chamber as seen above. One reason is because of the ledge put in place for the "shitty" racks which takes space and the other is that it is short about .5-1 in in width so some of the water can just flow out the sides instead of all directly through media rack. I guess the shortness is to benefit the water ramp built into the false wall. Because of the height of the second baffle, which the picture shows the correct height it should be but actual height is the almost same as the base of the overflow teeth, the resistance is great for the water to climb over it. Gravity is a great tool in filtration. The less resistance the greater the flow. With that being stated, its easier for the water to take the less resistance possible which is flowing around the media rack instead of through it because of the water level presented by the height of the second baffle. (Also, the red indicates what happens with the current media racks)

207985-custom-caddy-grouped.jpg

3. The idea filtration is where water has no choice but to go through the media rack which is indicated by the green. Think of a tank with a sump. The water goes down the overflow, then DIRECTLY into a filter sock and then to a concentrated area for skimming.

neumann07.jpg

I hope this makes sense. I am multi-tasking at the moment so I am all over the place.

I will just modify it by removing the water ledge on the false wall and remove the glass ledge on the side so that I can fit a custom media rack in there.

I have had similar issue with the crappy media baskets that do not fit correctly. My tank was not cloudy but had more particulate matter floating then I like.

I bought some filter floss & used the a filter sponge to close of all the space around the basket. Water can still bypass the basket but not near as easily. Also even if it by passes the basket it has to go threw the floss & the sponge. It is annoying but you can cram the floss in all the areas the water wants to slip by. If you want to catch even more you can use some more filter floss where the water leaves the filter area & goes into the return compartment.

I plan to have a custom caddy made or try the one they sell.

Have you tried the upgraded one they sell?

I have had similar issue with the crappy media baskets that do not fit correctly. My tank was not cloudy but had more particulate matter floating then I like.

I bought some filter floss & used the a filter sponge to close of all the space around the basket. Water can still bypass the basket but not near as easily. Also even if it by passes the basket it has to go threw the floss & the sponge. It is annoying but you can cram the floss in all the areas the water wants to slip by. If you want to catch even more you can use some more filter floss where the water leaves the filter area & goes into the return compartment.

I plan to have a custom caddy made or try the one they sell.

Have you tried the upgraded one they sell?

Yep. The Custom caddies for the 30L suck too. They are an improvement but still have too much space for water to go around the media rack.

Update:

*Decided to buy a Marineland canister filter someone was selling on craigslist for $10. It cleared the tank up.

*One of my yuma stressed and it had spread. The original one that has almost deteriorated away but it may recover because it has seemed to slowed down. The other two deteriorated a little but stopped.

*I bought a pair Helfrichi Firefish from the LFS today since they were $55 instead of the normal $75+.(will upload images later)

2 of my new yumas:

14814158285_cb0d5d3797_c.jpg

14813795812_5930b045ee_c.jpg

did you keep the nuvo?

keep an eye on those firefish, if they are not a male and female it is very likely you will loose one.

did you keep the nuvo?

keep an eye on those firefish, if they are not a male and female it is very likely you will loose one.

Update:

*Decided to buy a Marineland canister filter someone was selling on craigslist for $10. It cleared the tank up.

*One of my yuma stressed and it had spread. The original one that has almost deteriorated away but it may recover because it has seemed to slowed down. The other two deteriorated a little but stopped.

*I bought a pair Helfrichi Firefish from the LFS today since they were $55 instead of the normal $75+.(will upload images later)

smelling paint all day, thought i read that pretty well lol

lol no problem

I will try to buy one rainbow yuma morph each pay check. I get paid twice a month so 2 new morphs a month, if I can find a new variation. If not, I may purchase a rainbow ricordea florida morph, a zoa frag, or sps frag instead.

NorthGaHillbilly

Cool to see another GA reefer on NR! Really liking the tank, let me know if you get up this way, and I'll keep an eye out for any unusual Yumas.

Cool to see another GA reefer on NR! Really liking the tank, let me know if you get up this way, and I'll keep an eye out for any unusual Yumas.

Thanks, I just moved to GA this past June. I usually come to Atlanta every other weekend to browse the fish stores. Thanks for keeping a lookout for me. PM if you find one and which store. I am normally looking on ARC as well.

Cmiw, That shitty rack is identical to the JBJ 28 media rack.

Idk it may be. Innovative marine is was started by some workers who broke away from JBJ and started their own business due to conflict. That is what I was told when I had visited a LFS in St. Louis.

Makes sense.

Same exact shitty tray. Same curved glass cracking issues.

I have heard of zero stories of BioCube tanks cracking spontaneously, myriad from IM and JBJ.

PS the Paradise Bird you sold me last year. It got accident fragged. Now most of its has all grown back together. Under Kessils its looking beatiful and growing well, doubled in size. If you need a frag back, let me know.

Makes sense.

Same exact shitty tray. Same curved glass cracking issues.

I have heard of zero stories of BioCube tanks cracking spontaneously, myriad from IM and JBJ.

PS the Paradise Bird you sold me last year. It got accident fragged. Now most of its has all grown back together. Under Kessils its looking beatiful and growing well, doubled in size. If you need a frag back, let me know.

I'm glad its doing well for you. Ok will do.

Thanks, I just moved to GA this past June. I usually come to Atlanta every other weekend to browse the fish stores. Thanks for keeping a lookout for me. PM if you find one and which store. I am normally looking on ARC as well.

Hey I'm in GA also, Columbus area. Also setting up a IM 30L this week. Very interested in some ATL LFS.

Hey I'm in GA also, Columbus area. Also setting up a IM 30L this week. Very interested in some ATL LFS.

My favorite is Nemo Aquariums. Great prices and selections of fish and corals. It has some of the more sought after fish and corals at reasonable non-hyped prices. The Fish Store is my second favorite. It has the largest selection of fish and corals but some of the corals are overpriced IMO. 3rd would be Atlanta Aquarium. Large selection of corals with premium price......

Just my two cents but aio tanks over 20 gallons just don't seem all that practical considering all the mods people do to them leads me to believe performance just isn't as plug and play as they state. Sumps are the only way to go, cloudy pArticulate water bam add a filter sock. Sorry about you're troubles. Hang in there find a good set up and transfer it over.

My favorite is Nemo Aquariums. Great prices and selections of fish and corals. It has some of the more sought after fish and corals at reasonable non-hyped prices. The Fish Store is my second favorite. It has the largest selection of fish and corals but some of the corals are overpriced IMO. 3rd would be Atlanta Aquarium. Large selection of corals with premium price......

Guess I didn't think of the ATL aquarium, didn't know you could get stuff there. We have been wanting to take our son there sometime soon so I will have to check it out

Guess I didn't think of the ATL aquarium, didn't know you could get stuff there. We have been wanting to take our son there sometime soon so I will have to check it out

The Atlanta Aquarium fish store not the Georgia Aquarium.

Went in the lfs earlier to get some RO water and ended up leaving with corals and no water......

14635585170_665e9d53ab_c.jpg

14819203291_0db2ef0dbf_c.jpg

14635659238_1080c4ab5b_c.jpg

Anyone know what those zoas are? I also got another lavender blasto but it hasn't opened completely.

Here are two pics I forgot to add earlier:

One of my Helfrichi Firefish. The other one darts in and out too much when I am around.

14821928992_a4b55532d6_c.jpg

14819251141_688f21821f_c.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Next time yall get up to Atlanta give me a shout, Im always down for BSin tanks and checkin out stores. Yall also need to swing down here to Marietta and check out Reef Shac, new store with a great selection.

Archived