ReefCleaners.org

Mangosteen!

johnmaloney

I still have to check those out. Persimmons are kind of a fruit, sort of in the tomato dilemma. Here is a picture of a dragon fruit flower, mostly closed I got to it late. They are about the size of dinner plates when fully opened, but that lasts from 4am to 7am only. Huge flower, short pollination it doesn't make much sense.

Dragon Fruit Flower

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Not quite in the exotic fruit catagory, but I came across a vendor at the farmers market today that was boasting eight different kinds of mint! LOL!

Dr.Brain Coral

Not quite in the exotic fruit catagory, but I came across a vendor at the farmers market today that was boasting eight different kinds of mint! LOL!

Now this I like. One thing I do have is Mint. Chocolate mint, Spear mint, Apple mint, Wild mint, Peppermint. You name it I got it. Mint is my all time favorite Herb and flavoring. My personal favorite mint is Chocolate mint. So nice to just pic some leaves as I walk by.

I love mint everything too! yum yum! My husband thinks I am a weirdo for liking things that "taste like toothpaste" :rolleyes:

I picked up a cactus pear/prickly fruit. Never had/seen that in the store before. Should be fun to try.

I still have to check those out. Persimmons are kind of a fruit, sort of in the tomato dilemma. Here is a picture of a dragon fruit flower, mostly closed I got to it late. They are about the size of dinner plates when fully opened, but that lasts from 4am to 7am only. Huge flower, short pollination it doesn't make much sense.

Someone told me they that depending on the fruit (like the red/pink fleshy dragonfruit), they can self-pollinate. If not, you can self-pollinate them.

Just wondering, how's your jackfruit tree? FL weather is ideal for jackfruit than SoCal but my tree somewhat managed to grow some fruit:

IMG_20140913_130554440_zpsbf53977d.jpg

Oh nice! Mine is small, first year in the ground. How long did yours take to produce fruit like that? I am thinking of moving mine, can you keep them a reasonable size? I have a seedling, I should have gone with a variety I guess...

Oh nice! Mine is small, first year in the ground. How long did yours take to produce fruit like that? I am thinking of moving mine, can you keep them a reasonable size? I have a seedling, I should have gone with a variety I guess...

Mines took about 4 years to produce fruit. My tree is about 20-25' tall but most of the fruit is growing around the 5'-15' range. I'm sure can keep them in a reasonable size; I've seen pics of jackfruit trees that's about 10'-15' tall with plenty of fruit.

Mines took about 4 years to produce fruit. My tree is about 20-25' tall but most of the fruit is growing around the 5'-15' range. I'm sure can keep them in a reasonable size; I've seen pics of jackfruit trees that's about 10'-15' tall with plenty of fruit.

Thanks for the info, I think I need to move mine anyway. I picked a horrrible spot for it. It doesn't take many from that tree, the fruit are huge. If I can get 2 or 3 I will be happy, nice to know that will work on a smaller tree. Appreciate the tip!

Thanks for the info, I think I need to move mine anyway. I picked a horrrible spot for it. It doesn't take many from that tree, the fruit are huge. If I can get 2 or 3 I will be happy, nice to know that will work on a smaller tree. Appreciate the tip!

No prob. Keeping it smaller makes it easier to cover from frost (though I'm not sure FL even gets frost) and it'll ensure that you'll have good tasting fruit. Plus, 2-3 fruit on a single tree = juicy and huge fruit pods.

I wish I trimmed mines smaller or cut off a few more baby fruits.

And I thought Walnuts falling out of Trees hurt.....And then I saw this Picture

jackfruit-tree1.jpg

Try durian tree:

2699799534_364391ba2a.jpg

durian-tree-fruit.jpg

^Spike ball of death

Since this is the exotic fruit page, anyone ever seen/heard/tasted Cloudberries (or Bakeapple)? I know they grow in cold, swampy areas like Canada or parts of New England. Here's a google pic on what it looks like:

cloudberry-season-2.jpg

^I think it's been my life goal dream to eat an actual fruit. I've had the Cloudberry jam and it's marvelous.

I have a problem with cutting off young fruit too, I am getting better about it. At first I wanted to improve my chances of getting fruit so I didn't, but then after seeing a lot of drop and then some fruit stay small I started doing it all the trees. The Sapodilla seems to benefit the most from it. It was warping under the weight before. We can get frost here, we had some in 2009. <knocks on wood> we have had a decent stretch of mild winters since then.

Dr.Brain Coral

I have seen Durians but they didn't look as big as Jack fruit. But it probably doesnt matter either way since its pretty much a spike bowling ball.

I have a problem with cutting off young fruit too, I am getting better about it. At first I wanted to improve my chances of getting fruit so I didn't, but then after seeing a lot of drop and then some fruit stay small I started doing it all the trees. The Sapodilla seems to benefit the most from it. It was warping under the weight before. We can get frost here, we had some in 2009. <knocks on wood> we have had a decent stretch of mild winters since then.

Agreed. I have to learn or accept the fact that if I don't cut enough off the young fruits buds, I'll end up with a "meh" yield of fruits instead of a good yield. Quality > Quantity.

And speaking of Sapodilla, I haven't had that for a loooonng time.

I had one yesterday. :) I get like one every other month or so next year it should pick up. I have trimmed them down to one fruit per branch, and the size is much better, max for the variety I think and delicious. Pain to pick though, a little early and they never ripen, then when they are ready you have 2 days to figure that out or so before they fall.... I check that tree more then I check the mail. (As my wife likes to remind me). :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had a pomelo. It was Amazing. I think I liked it more than any other citrus

I love Pomelo more than Grapefruits and regular oranges (but not as much as Satsuma/Clementine Mandarins or Valencia Oranges).

• 2 months later...

Archived