SaltCritters.com

Mangosteen!

johnmaloney

Rollermonkey

Durian is every bit as awful as you've heard. Don't even.

Blech. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours, and I tried eating and drinking a dozen different things to get it out.

<shudder

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney

Fruits that haven't been mentioned off the top of my head: Atimoya, Cheimoya, Sugar Apple (Sweet Sop), Guyabano (Sour Sop), Pomello, Calamondin (Calimansi), Mabolo, White Sapote, Star Fruit, Natal Plum, Pawpaw, Surinam Cherry, Black Mulberry, Jaboticaba, Tamarind, Jujube, Marang, Lansones, Jack Fruit, Macopa, Star Apple (Caimito)

I've almost all of these :)

Haven't had the soursop fruit, but they sell the juice in the store and it is good. Can't find the fruit though. Mabolo? Might have to google around.

Mr. Microscope

Also, mulberry. They're really popular in Turkey and Croatia. I used to get this Croatian mulberry juice on my way to work everyday when I lived in Astoria. Another all time favorite of mine.

Snow_Phoenix

Sorry, I'm just lol-ing at this whole thread since I'm from the tropics and we pretty much have mangosteen, starfruit, lychee, rambai, rambutan, ciku, longan, langsat, duku, persimmons etc. in our backyards (well, not really my backyard, but you get the picture). :P

This thread is making me hungry for fruit I don't have access to locally :tears:

Love love love the Mangosteen! I used to get frozen ones in Chinatown. Can't find 'em fresh in the states yet. I think there's an effort to grow them in the Caribbean, but until those ventures take off I think it's illegal in the states for some parasite reason.

Rambutan is a close second for me.

Great thread BTW, lol!

Amazon appears to have them. $70 for 9-10 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Importers-Fresh-Mangosteen/dp/B0018OM3EI/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1403051786&sr=1-1&keywords=mangosteen

Sorry, I'm just lol-ing at this whole thread since I'm from the tropics and we pretty much have mangosteen, starfruit, lychee, rambai, rambutan, ciku, longan, langsat, duku, persimmons etc. in our backyards (well, not really my backyard, but you get the picture). :P

:angry::furious::rant::tears:

This thread inspired me to make a fruit bucket list.

I checked persimmon off my list tonight. It was good but not worth 2 bucks a fruit.

johnmaloney

Also, mulberry. They're really popular in Turkey and Croatia. I used to get this Croatian mulberry juice on my way to work everyday when I lived in Astoria. Another all time favorite of mine.

Mulberry is good, I am surprised it is not as popular as other berries. Definitely sweeter then blue, straw or raspberry. It has sort of an earthy flavor, maybe that is why, or because they bruise so easily. That is probably more like it.

Sapodillas arent commercially available here for a similar reason. They ripen within a day or two of being picked and are too mushy soon after.

I picked up a mango assortment yesterday. Zill, Simmonds, Duncan, Edwards and 2 varieties I havent got the names for yet. Only a Duncan was ripe, super sweet, and very juicy like I remember. The Florida backyard mangoes are something to try. Fresh, some of them are as sweet as peaches in syrup. The Duncan sure was.

johnmaloney

Where are you from?

johnmaloney

Malaysia.

Oh very cool. Yeah, the every day stuff by you is "exotic and unknown" here :) If we are missing out on anything let me know.

Snow_Phoenix

Oh very cool. Yeah, the every day stuff by you is "exotic and unknown" here :) If we are missing out on anything let me know.

Will do. If you have the budget and luck for it, try soursop, pulasan, delima, and pomelo. Very very tasty. :)

johnmaloney

Thank you for the tips! I will try to track them down. I introduced my grandmother today to rambutan and mangosteen. She isn't as quick as she used to be, but she chased down the bowl when we moved it to the other room to clear the table. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Came across these on the internet today (can't get anything exotic here):

Apple Banana's and Blue Ice Cream Banana's

Apple bananas are distinguished by their size, texture and flavor. Apple bananas are stout and plump, with a thick taut peel. Their flesh's texture is firm when young, tender and creamy when ripe. Apple banana's flavor is a reflection of its name. When young, it is both tangy and sweet with apple nuances. As the fruit ripens, it will develop a far more tropical flavor profile, with notes of pineapple and strawberry. The Apple banana has a memorable, complex scent marked by a strong tart-apple aroma.
The Blue Java (also known as Ice Cream banana, Hawaiian banana, Ney Mannan, Krie, or Cenizo) is a hardy, cold tolerant banana cultivar known for its sweet aromatic fruit which is said to have an ice cream like consistency and flavor reminiscent of vanilla
2i6h1n9.jpg
They sound yummy.
  • 2 months later...
Dr.Brain Coral

Rambutans are awesome. I love fruits but being in upstate New York out in the booneys we dont get alot of exotic fruits within an hours drive haha

But we do have wild Black berries and Raspberrys which are heavenly

Upstate NY is nice enough even with out the tropical fruits. :) I am a big fan of that area, I have great memories of camping in the Catskills.

Hi all just have to join .....I am also Malaysia. But living in Columbus Ohio. You guys mentioning all this fruits is making me home sick....hahahah. Rambutan's are my favorite. Looking forward to going home in November. I see a fellow Malaysian here do you by any chance know of any good Aquarium shops for perusing when I am back especially a saltwater/reef place? I will be in KL and Penang. Thanks

Came across these on the internet today (can't get anything exotic here):

Apple Banana's and Blue Ice Cream Banana's

Apple bananas are distinguished by their size, texture and flavor. Apple bananas are stout and plump, with a thick taut peel. Their flesh's texture is firm when young, tender and creamy when ripe. Apple banana's flavor is a reflection of its name. When young, it is both tangy and sweet with apple nuances. As the fruit ripens, it will develop a far more tropical flavor profile, with notes of pineapple and strawberry. The Apple banana has a memorable, complex scent marked by a strong tart-apple aroma.
The Blue Java (also known as Ice Cream banana, Hawaiian banana, Ney Mannan, Krie, or Cenizo) is a hardy, cold tolerant banana cultivar known for its sweet aromatic fruit which is said to have an ice cream like consistency and flavor reminiscent of vanilla
2i6h1n9.jpg
They sound yummy.

I have some of the ice cream banana trees, they have another year I think before I can get them. My aunt grows them, they are pretty similar to the Cavendish bananas you get in the store, with a hint of vanilla. Apple bananas, (Usually Goldfinger here), are a better size I think, but they taste pretty much the same maybe less of a banana taste when compared to Cavendish bananas. I prefer all of them to the regular bananas though for eating, they are about half the size and for me I think that is an improvement.

Dr.Brain Coral

Upstate NY is nice enough even with out the tropical fruits. :) I am a big fan of that area, I have great memories of camping in the Catskills.

The Catskills are nice. Have you been on the Black forest trail?

I was too young to really remember the names of the places we went. We moved form NY when I was 4, our last camping trip there was when I was 8, we would go back in the summers. We went to a lot of different places, the Poconos and Catskills mainly. I can still remember the scenes like it was yesterday, but not the names of places other then those. The Catskills stuck because I thought the name was funny, same with the Poconos, which I thought was "Pinocchio's" for some time.

Hi all just have to join .....I am also Malaysia. But living in Columbus Ohio. You guys mentioning all this fruits is making me home sick....hahahah. Rambutan's are my favorite. Looking forward to going home in November. I see a fellow Malaysian here do you by any chance know of any good Aquarium shops for perusing when I am back especially a saltwater/reef place? I will be in KL and Penang. Thanks

Bring your camera for pet shop pics from abroad. Everyone loves those threads, there are even a few on here I think from Malaysia.

Mr. Microscope

Just found some golden kiwis at my local market!!!! They were every bit as amazing as I remember them being the last time I had one like four years ago. Nom nom nom!

would persimmons qualify as exotic, tons of different types some specific to the US, and if you eat em unripened you can end up with phytobezoars... I didn't find them that tasty in either case though.

Archived