Innovative Marine Aquariums

Super Duper Awesome 25

snailflipper

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snailflipper

I'm not sure about the Knoxville area, but I know there is the Middle TN Reef Club (MTRC.org) They have monthly meetings around the Nashville area, and their annual frag swap was back in April. I went for the first time this year and it was awesome. I know there is a group around Knoxville, but not sure how active they are. Here's the forum where the MTRC and Knoxville one have information

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/tennessee/

Okay awesome thank you so much. I'll look into it. Too bad I just missed it! Might have been worth the drive.

Looking good, can't wait to see the scape. B)

If the photographer has any ideas I am all ears! well all eyes haha

i think giga has a mp10 and a skimmer for sale you check it out

Yeah I looked at his post thanks! I'll talk to him if i have any questions. Wishing my internship could logically pay for an mp10 :tears:... First world problems.

I know how this game works very well :)

Maybe I will in a few years.... Okay maybe a year.. ah screw it I'll upgrade in a couple of months! B)

snailflipper

So my first attempt at aquascaping this thing. I don't think I like it. not enough room for corals and it doesn't look "natural". Anyways enough of my judgemental eyes. Now give me yours even if you say it sucks so I can agree with someone. I really need your help with this one.

2980F307-B0CC-4562-9D21-21E8E0B91FDB_zps

Oh wow thats a really long hike! We did Mt. Leconte (10 mile roundtrip) here recently and it was hard. so props to you for a 14 mile hike. Are you doing that in one day or camping out? Planning on a flame angel, snowflake clown pair, and some other fish preferably with a lot of color. Definitely open for suggestions and stocking order as well. LFS said flame angel first before the clowns but I would love a second opinion. Really hoping the flame behaves. I know its 50/50 but with their color its worth the risk to me. I'll just make sure he stays fat with food. Thank goodness for the oversize skimmer.

to cave and listen to you! :P

I wish I can camp out but I don't think I can (US Forest Service owns the area and doesn't have any camping spots around the area. I tend to do a one day hike (because sleeping in your own bed feels nice espically after a butt-kicking hike).

As for the fishes, I love Flame Angel but they're fairly aggressive and they might claim the whole tank as their 'territory' if you add them in first... so it'll be better if you add that fish last (or any other aggressive fish last).

And for your aquascape, it looks bulky and wierd. Can you break the top rock into smaller pieces? Or do you have any other rocks? I'd say get a cardboard, cut up a piece that's equal to your tank size, and aquascape from there. Once you finalize your aquascape, add it into your tank...

I'd say take the top taller rock, stand it up behind the small one or diagonally from the other rock and get another 2-3 pieces. Give some dimension to front and background. Will give some more depth instead of straight up n' down which will make it difficult to put corals.

snailflipper

Second round

E22844E4-991C-4259-93FA-BB2C0D6E7A23_zps

I wish I can camp out but I don't think I can (US Forest Service owns the area and doesn't have any camping spots around the area. I tend to do a one day hike (because sleeping in your own bed feels nice espically after a butt-kicking hike).

As for the fishes, I love Flame Angel but they're fairly aggressive and they might claim the whole tank as their 'territory' if you add them in first... so it'll be better if you add that fish last (or any other aggressive fish last).

And for your aquascape, it looks bulky and wierd. Can you break the top rock into smaller pieces? Or do you have any other rocks? I'd say get a cardboard, cut up a piece that's equal to your tank size, and aquascape from there. Once you finalize your aquascape, add it into your tank...

Ha I'm right there with you after a long hike! Though 10 miles... phew that'd be rough. Thanks for the input about the flame. I didn't know they were territorial but i'll definitely put him in last. looks like I'll get the snowflakes first! Very good tip about the cardboard. I put this rockwork together before I saw this but I will definitely do that next time.

Tanks looking good! As for the scape I like it, but if it was mine i'd maybe make it a little shorter and put a small island in the front left? Just an idea!

snailflipper

The scaping looks better just a but maybe try getting rid of the very rock at the top?

Alright I'll try that! Thanks for the help.

Tanks looking good! As for the scape I like it, but if it was mine i'd maybe make it a little shorter and put a small island in the front left? Just an idea!

Yeah that's a good one! Red blenny suggested taking off the top rock so I'll take it off and try to make an island out of it. I'll take a pictures to show you guys once I get around to it. Kinda slow right now due to cycling and waiting for my last two pieces of equipment to come in.

snailflipper

Alright so photo dumb! let me know which one you guys like best.

Original layout like before:

708D1E80-F99A-4EB5-84D7-10E64B01BDF4_zps

F0DC87ED-0334-4AAA-828C-865A1FEF5C5E_zps

New:

7CE11D0C-3F66-4DAE-8EB9-F96AEF731110_zps

D4393202-8851-4913-9283-49F2512AF520_zps

moved the top rock a little

9C83D5AA-E7B2-454D-9C7F-5D266421B515_zps

snailflipper

Just got this little guy in. So awesome. I'm really impressed with the wave movement and size it takes up. I know its no mp-10 but Im loving how its directional. Which allows me to tuck it up in a corner.

AE91858B-593E-43E5-B0D0-8531788CF408_zps

BC0FC2B7-AC90-4D27-85BE-6B92FC858BDE_zps

50996DED-2F3F-4DE8-B6BB-EF32DD140E61_zps

Nice setup man! As for the scape, I dig the second one ("New"). If you have any more small rocks or rubble, the small island could be a bit bigger just to balance it out a little.

snailflipper

Nice setup man! As for the scape, I dig the second one ("New"). If you have any more small rocks or rubble, the small island could be a bit bigger just to balance it out a little.

Thanks! And yeah I think I agree with you. Just trying to fight between having more of a sand bed and the right scape. I'll fool around with it some more since I'm still waiting for the tank to get done cycling.

snailflipper

Anyone have good fish for me to look at? not sure if I'm wanting the flame angel due to them being orange along with the clowns. I really want the snowflake pair but if anyone wants to chime in I'd love to hear some opinions. I bought a six line today and stuck him into my 5 gallon and he will be the first addition in the 25 gallon once cycled. Waiting a month to let the ich die off in my fluval was exhausting!

You have a lid? I lost mine a couple mos went back. High jump to the floor. I cut some plastic white lighting crate to fit the top. Not pretty but it fits perfect and until I can make the top out of the netting it'll have to do. He was one of my faves, quick to get everything out of my acans that were trying to slowly chow down. He'd go right up to them and pull the food out. But he cleanly made zero of the amphipods I had that ate my zoas.

snailflipper

You have a lid? I lost mine a couple mos went back. High jump to the floor. I cut some plastic white lighting crate to fit the top. Not pretty but it fits perfect and until I can make the top out of the netting it'll have to do. He was one of my faves, quick to get everything out of my acans that were trying to slowly chow down. He'd go right up to them and pull the food out. But he cleanly made zero of the amphipods I had that ate my zoas.

Yeah I do. He's in my fluval spec right now until my cycle is over then I'll move him into the larger tank which has a screen over it as well. But that stinks you lost yours. Had one for a total of one day before my ich accident. And I think its time for you to finally make that top!

I just saw your thread. Very nice build so far. I think your goodies will look great in it! BTW, blennies are terrific little fish with big personalities.

Yeah I do. He's in my fluval spec right now until my cycle is over then I'll move him into the larger tank which has a screen over it as well. But that stinks you lost yours. Had one for a total of one day before my ich accident. And I think its time for you to finally make that top!

next weekend. I promise. The screen kit is sitting in my kitchen. I may have bought the wrong size so if I can I'll make one for my rock flower breeder tank first actually, maybe I'll some left to make the top for the 34 then. I'd like to come to the Smoky's some time in fall for a nice hike but I need to exercise some first. I have no motivation but told myself if I do 20 mins on the treadmill I can then watch Star Trek Into Darkness. So the key here is that I either need to keep increasing that time, or do a couple segments of 25 mins each in the evenings. I need to do something vs nothing

I don't know if you are set on the snowflakes but I picked up a frostbite clown last week and they look amazing...iphone pic doesn't do it

justice!

14436776884_d160c9f3a6_z.jpg

snailflipper

I just saw your thread. Very nice build so far. I think your goodies will look great in it! BTW, blennies are terrific little fish with big personalities.

Thank you! Yeah I always see those little tiny guys sticking their heads out of live rock at the fish store. very interesting fish. Great suggestion! They don't move much do they? I'm just scared I'd get one and never see him/her again.

next weekend. I promise. The screen kit is sitting in my kitchen. I may have bought the wrong size so if I can I'll make one for my rock flower breeder tank first actually, maybe I'll some left to make the top for the 34 then. I'd like to come to the Smoky's some time in fall for a nice hike but I need to exercise some first. I have no motivation but told myself if I do 20 mins on the treadmill I can then watch Star Trek Into Darkness. So the key here is that I either need to keep increasing that time, or do a couple segments of 25 mins each in the evenings. I need to do something vs nothing

Well good! and yeah thats a good start. Anything helps with doing exercise. Just whenever you can. I honestly need to start back up doing something on a regular basis. since my soccer years I've become a slug and thankfully my metabolism is high enough that you can't tell! :D

I don't know if you are set on the snowflakes but I picked up a frostbite clown last week and they look amazing...iphone pic doesn't do it

justice!

14436776884_d160c9f3a6_z.jpg

my lfs has a pair of those as well I believe. $100 for the snowflakes and $120 for the frostbite. Its definitely a hard choice between the two! Your frostbite has amazing color to it. What light are you running over that tank? Cause the orange in the fins and face is awesome.

Thank you! Yeah I always see those little tiny guys sticking their heads out of live rock at the fish store. very interesting fish. Great suggestion! They don't move much do they? I'm just scared I'd get one and never see him/her again.

Well good! and yeah thats a good start. Anything helps with doing exercise. Just whenever you can. I honestly need to start back up doing something on a regular basis. since my soccer years I've become a slug and thankfully my metabolism is high enough that you can't tell! :D

my lfs has a pair of those as well I believe. $100 for the snowflakes and $120 for the frostbite. Its definitely a hard choice between the two! Your frostbite has amazing color to it. What light are you running over that tank? Cause the orange in the fins and face is awesome.

$125 for one or the pair? It's the Ecoxotic Panorama Marine LED Light Fixture, but i'm in the process of upgrading to the maxspect razor which should be here sometime next week.

Archived