ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Ghost Skimmers Here Thursday!

inTank

What's a "Simmer"???

All joking aside, seeing as I just bought the media basket kit for the IM 16, what do you think about mechanical filtration (carbon/GFO/Purigen) AND skimming at the same time?

What's a "Simmer"???

All joking aside, seeing as I just bought the media basket kit for the IM 16, what do you think about mechanical filtration (carbon/GFO/Purigen) AND skimming at the same time?

A simmer is a skimmer that has not broken in yet

After that 2 week or so period after it slimes up it transforms into a skimmer ;)

I always ran media and a skimmer when I could, a skimmer is just another way of removing organic waste especially if you get lazy on water changes. I will be sticking one of these in my IM16 when they come in.

I will be sticking one of these in my IM16 when they come in.

I will likely do so as well once I stock up.

Working on the cabinetry now. Stained some stock 36" cabinets and bought a pre-fabbed granite top for it. When the kids move out (early June) will have everything finished and get water into the little bugger. Still need to order the nanobox duo as well.

patrickbruno91

really interested in one for my nano-cube, hopefully it performs better than the previous skimmer IM produced.

really interested in one for my nano-cube, hopefully it performs better than the previous skimmer IM produced.

What model NC?

Islandoftiki

You gonna have adapters or magnet mounts so we can stick one of these in a the older Nuvo 30/40?

Innovative marine AUQA Gadget Skimate Nano Protein Skimmer-Desktop

NO, what model nano cube do you have?

You gonna have adapters or magnet mounts so we can stick one of these in a the older Nuvo 30/40?

It's probably something we will look into if these pan out and perform. IM was talking with us about them a few weeks ago. Personally magnets would be the better solution as it's universal

Islandoftiki

It's probably something we will look into if these pan out and perform. IM was talking with us about them a few weeks ago. Personally magnets would be the better solution as it's universal

I'm kinda surprised they limited their market so much by not having a magnet built into the body of the skimmer.

If this thing works and turns out to be quieter than my CAD Lights PLS-50, I'll probably switch. Both the current IM skimmer and the CAD lights skimmers are kinda loud for noise sensitive locations.

patrickbruno91

NO, what model nano cube do you have?

Oh lol. I have a micro-reefs AIO 16.8G Acrylic.

Chamber 1: 5"x4"

One 1/2" divider

Chamber 2:7"x4"

One 1/2" divider

Chamber 3:5"x4"

Will this fit on the older style biocube 29?

Marine Depot had a pic of one in a Coralife Biocube, so yes it will also fit in the Oceanic. It should work with the media basket as well if you mount with a magnet or use a base to rest on. It is less wide as the Tunze 9002.

Until we get them in our hands we are going off the dimensions and my vast overloaded painful AIO tank knowledge.

Oh lol. I have a micro-reefs AIO 16.8G Acrylic.

Chamber 1: 5"x4"

One 1/2" divider

Chamber 2:7"x4"

One 1/2" divider

Chamber 3:5"x4"

lol so you don't have a Nano Cube at all

Looks to be too tall for your 7" chamber

DeskTop Version Dimensions: 3.58” x 2.28” x 9.84”

I'm kinda surprised they limited their market so much by not having a magnet built into the body of the skimmer.

If this thing works and turns out to be quieter than my CAD Lights PLS-50, I'll probably switch. Both the current IM skimmer and the CAD lights skimmers are kinda loud for noise sensitive locations.

Same here. The current IM skimmer is bad and they realized it. This is their improvement model, should have had better mounting built in as customers like universal skimmers this size.

Islandoftiki

Same here. The current IM skimmer is bad and they realized it. This is their improvement model, should have had better mounting built in as customers like universal skimmers this size.

You would think at the very least they'd have made brackets to make it fit their own current line-up of very popular tanks, especially since it does fit in the Nuvo 30/40. Maybe they're discontinuing the old Nuvo 30/40 soon (or already have?)

You would think at the very least they'd have made brackets to make it fit their own current line-up of very popular tanks, especially since it does fit in the Nuvo 30/40. Maybe they're discontinuing the old Nuvo 30/40 soon (or already have?)

I have a feeling they will be updating/dropping some of the nuvos. With the new fusion tanks it just makes sense, why would you want all those part numbers and older designs? They have learned a lot about sealing acrylic to glass, and bending that glass....

I see the 30 or 38 getting dumped. I don't know why this doesn't fit their new 40

Tunze is also finally coming out with the 9001 which looks promising

The Nuvo 24 has been discontinued already in favor of the Micro 30L. IM still has a stockpile of white Nuvo 24s though. If you want a black one (like I recently did) you need to scour the internet to find a store that carried stock. (Most stores would just have a tank drop shipped direct from IM whenever someone ordered a Nuvo 24.)

patrickbruno91

The skimmers have arrived!

I have placed a DeskTop in a Nuvo 16 to test out

How does it seem to be working after about 24hours?

How would you rate the noise that the skimmer gives off?

How does it seem to be working after about 24hours?

How would you rate the noise that the skimmer gives off?

I won't give any judgement of any skimmer until it is broke in, they simply do not work most of the time after just 24 hours. You have to give them a week or more.

It's going through stages of noises that I can lessen by lowering/raising the skimmer cup and playing with the air adjustment knob. But it has a noise, again it needs to break in first.

Marine Depot had a pic of one in a Coralife Biocube, so yes it will also fit in the Oceanic. It should work with the media basket as well if you mount with a magnet or use a base to rest on. It is less wide as the Tunze 9002.

Until we get them in our hands we are going off the dimensions and my vast overloaded painful AIO tank knowledge.

lol so you don't have a Nano Cube at all

Looks to be too tall for your 7" chamber

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine-Ghost-Protein-Skimmer-DeskTop-7203.htm]DeskTop Version Dimensions: 3.58 x 2.28 x 9.84[/url]

The midsize does fit in the Coralife BC 29 along with a media basket. I had to make a small shelf out of eggcrate for it to sit on, and for stability I placed an older small sized mag float inside of it. I have it attached to the wall separating the 2nd and 3rd chambers. I tried mounting Otto the back glass but on the inside on the chamber there is a small plastic lip which prevented me from easily being able to remove the collection cup.

• 1 month later...

I have had it since release. It is really random to be honest and doesnt pull that much out of the water. Messed with the cup height and the airflow and haven't noticed a difference in performance. Some people might have a difference of opinion but I would have spent the money on a ref chamber or a second media reactor over the skimmer.

Archived