SaltCritters.com

Java's 5 Gallon AIO

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Looks great! Is that goby still alive?

Thanks, yes Hex is still alive. Although he doesn't come out in the evenings he's usually very active in the morning and early afternoon. I've still never had to feed him...he just sifts the sand and picks and the rocks and is still pretty healthy looking.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JavaJacketOC

FTS with the clam ASAP

I need to clean :( Also, she's kinda repositioned herself where she's angling away from the front and I think she's already attached. I'll have to get one of my Side "FTS's", lol

Angel<3Nanos

I need to clean :( Also, she's kinda repositioned herself where she's angling away from the front and I think she's already attached. I'll have to get one of my Side "FTS's", lol

Can't believe you have a clam in there man! Awesome. Your tank makes me think that anything is possible in these little tanks! ;)

JavaJacketOC

Can't believe you have a clam in there man! Awesome. Your tank makes me think that anything is possible in these little tanks! ;)

Haha, the clam makes me nervous. I know I probably shouldn't have done it and I've passed on several others around this size but this just felt right. So far so good...Eugenia seems to be acclimating well.

Angel<3Nanos

Haha, the clam makes me nervous. I know I probably shouldn't have done it and I've passed on several others around this size but this just felt right. So far so good...Eugenia seems to be acclimating well.

Im sure it will do fine. As long as you dont skip water changes lol.

JavaJacketOC

damm sick your tank is badass. the monti and clam is kick ass

Thanks, the monti has some tissue rescission, I've been waiting to see if it'll stop on it's own...I thought the sexy may have been picking at it but it hasn't improved in the last week, probably going to dip.

JavaJacketOC

Thanks, the monti has some tissue rescission, I've been waiting to see if it'll stop on it's own...I thought the sexy may have been picking at it but it hasn't improved in the last week, probably going to dip.

Well, I think I may have discovered the problem with my Monti....while messing with the tank today I noticed some stray current while touching the water in the back of the tank and when touching the metal part of the screen lid. I started unplugging things to see if I could identify the source but the results were inconsistent. I finally determined it was my ATO, when I plugged it back in I shocked the sh*t out of myself just by touching the metal part of the screen lid again...I can only imagine what my livestock was feeling :(

This will be picked up or ordered tomorrow: Hydor Smart Level Control ATO System

JavaJacketOC

I was able to get the Hydor Smart Level Control ATO System installed a couple days ago ans so far it's working pretty well. I had to restrict the fresh water flow on the aqua lifter since the min fill time for this unit is 26 seconds. I added a 2 way flow valve and reduced the flow to about 1/3 and haven't had any issues.

Pics to follow this evening

Man that monti really took off since last i looked at your tank.

Good work figuring out the stray voltage. I've been running the same single float switch ATO system on my tanks for the past few years but I really need to upgrade. I've been looking at the one you bought and the AutoAqua. The price of the Hydor is making me lean in that direction.

Looking good!

JavaJacketOC

That monti is awesome. I love montipora.

Thanks Spaz! I realy like it a lot too...the color is great...just hoping it recovers following the stray current situation.

Man that monti really took off since last i looked at your tank.

Good work figuring out the stray voltage. I've been running the same single float switch ATO system on my tanks for the past few years but I really need to upgrade. I've been looking at the one you bought and the AutoAqua. The price of the Hydor is making me lean in that direction.

Looking good!

Yeah I wanted the AuotAqua but honestly didn't want to spend 150.00 on an ATO (I considered just replacing the ATO with the same setup from ATO.com), The Hydor seems well made a for the price, not sure you can beat it.

Tthe only issue I have is with the min fill time requirement. If you are using a fast ATO pump you'll have to severly reduce the flow.

Yeah I wanted the AuotAqua but honestly didn't want to spend 150.00 on an ATO (I considered just replacing the ATO with the same setup from ATO.com), The Hydor seems well made a for the price, not sure you can beat it.

Tthe only issue I have is with the min fill time requirement. If you are using a fast ATO pump you'll have to severly reduce the flow.

That was the main reason I didn't like the Hydor. I know I can make it work like you did though. We'll see how I'm feeling when the day comes to upgrade.

JavaJacketOC

That was the main reason I didn't like the Hydor. I know I can make it work like you did though. We'll see how I'm feeling when the day comes to upgrade.

It was easier than I thought but I just didn't realize how long 26 seconds was for an ATO pump, lol.

What pump are you using for your ato?

• 3 weeks later...

Well...no idea where I got them (assuming they came with the clam) but I apparently have Monitpora eating nudis. I thought the damage to my monti's was a result of the stray current, however in the last couple days I noticed that my Monti Digitata was not really doing better and infact looked worse. Upon further inspection (I hadn't really been able to spend much time on the tank due to a hectic work schedule) I noticed nudis working their way along the Digitata. :o

I manually removed all of the adults I could find (about 10) and searched for eggs but only found a couple. Although the main damage is on the Digitata, the Cap has also had some tissue damage but had actually been recovering very nicely over the past couple weeks. I found one of the nudis near the Cap so I pulled it out and searched for any eggs or adults but didn't really find any.

I've read a few threads about this and there doesn't appear to be a guaranteed method so I will be doing the following:

1. Manually remove any visible adults and eggs every day
  2. Dip Monti's in Sechem Reef Dip every 3 days

If Reef Dip doesn't affect them I will look into other dip options. I believe Coral RX and and a couple other dips have shown some affect but nothing seems guaranteed. I can live without the Digitata but I really like my Cap so I will see what I can to do save it.

Ah man,that sucks !!! Hopefully you're able to get them eradicated,I'm sure they're a pain !! I'm going thru kinda the same problem right now with a rampid zoa eating Asterina. You think I'd be able to find him,but nope. He's picked 3 frags clean so far,little bastard !!

Best of luck man...

Ah man,that sucks !!! Hopefully you're able to get them eradicated,I'm sure they're a pain !! I'm going thru kinda the same problem right now with a rampid zoa eating Asterina. You think I'd be able to find him,but nope. He's picked 3 frags clean so far,little bastard !!

Best of luck man...

Oh dang that sucks! Hope you find the bish!

Today's activities:

• Dipped the Dig and Cap in double dose Seachem Reef Dip - about 4 more juveniles came off the Dig, none were on the Cap...although they didn't seem to die right away I think it actually did kill them during the dip.
  • Found about 5 eggs in the tank and siphoned out

I didn't realize how bad the Dig was since most of the damage was to the underside where I couldn't see. Looks like about 50% of the tissue is gone :( The Cap looks fine, there were a few eggs on it's rock base though.

You and me both,I'm so paranoid about trying to find him. He normally comes out when the blues come on at night,and or after feeding. I just don't want to lose any more Zoa's.

If I was you,you'll noticed a huge loss in color,and they'll be pissed,but freshwater dip for about 45 seconds to a minute. And in that time,look VERY CLOSE AND GOOD for eggs and adults. I did some Zoa's that were infested with nudi's ( but weren't doing any harm ) and about 10 came off just on one small rock.. I haven't seen any in weeks though. I'm still trying to irradiate my brown flatworms though.. As you can tell,my tanks got issues lol

Archived