Top Shelf Aquatics

If I had to do it over again......

Pancetta

I am a newbie to SW aquariums but have already realized that there are several things I wish I had done differently. Seems like a lot of hobbyist share this sentiment.

I wish I had started with a Biocube 29 instead of a 14. Also should have never let my wife know it is an expensive hobby!

What would you do different if you could?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next time I'll be using dry rock. You can take your time creating the aquascape and no pests. Also, bare bottom. To hell with sand and it's affinity with detritus. Oh, and probably no coral stomping, food stealing shrimp, though they are beautiful and entertaining.

NirvanaandTool

Bigger tank as well. I still wish I got a 120g instead of my new 90g. I guess I'll just start saving now for a 180 instead. :lol:

masterbuilder

Move to the West coast where I could actually go to a LFS and buy something. It stinks having to buy even the tiniest thing online.

I wish I budgeted more money upfront to buy quality equipment from the get-go instead of getting in as cheaply as possible only to replace half of my stuff within a year.

Also, my biggest regret was putting anything in my tank without quarantine first. So many problems could have been prevented with simple quarantine. Dipping is great and I haven't put a thing in my tank without dipping, but it is no substitution for proper QT.

jtwisconsin

I promised myself when setting up the 40B I was only buying the equipment I wanted and not worrying about the price. As in so many hobbies we make sacrifices based on trying to save money, only to end up spending more later to get what we really wanted at a later date.

One item in particular for me stands out, and that is my controller. I started with a RKL instead of an Apex Jr to save some money. Now that I have an Apex Lite on my 40B, I seriously wish I would have just spent the extra money up front for the Apex Jr instead.

jtwisconsin

And if you had gotten the junior, you would be wishing for the full version. :)

Partially correct in that I ended up with an Apex Lite for the 40B. But if I had purchased the Jr, at least I would have been able to expand it.

My wife tried to tell me to just buy a Lite to start with, but of course I didn't listen. :)

brandon429

I should have never had that one single red mushroom in my reef thinking Id could get it out later. x100 now killing everything.

I would have started reading the forums earlier, found the LFS that I am frequenting first, and gotten smaller pieces of rock. I am at about one month set up so I find I still have time to change things. Only a couple frags in there plus a cuc.

Move to the West coast where I could actually go to a LFS and buy something. It stinks having to buy even the tiniest thing online.

It would be easier to move to Florida for you. I know Cocoa has some great LFS. Seattle, just a couple.

I'd probably just get into something a little easier on the wallet like crank or heroin.

That's funny! Probably less research too.

Archived